PDA

View Full Version : LN No. 4 as a gift

Ed Jolin
05-22-2007, 4:19 PM
Hi all - I am going to get a bronze LN #4 as a grad gift for a friend. Do cocobolo handles look ok w/ bronze or should I stick to the default cherry?

The LN website doesn't show pics of bronze+cocobolo combination (that I could find)

I was also planning on engraving initials; is there a preferred location? I was thinking possibly on the side but toward the back so it's out of the way, maybe printed in a small arc... ? thoughts?

thanks-
ed

Greg Cole
05-22-2007, 4:36 PM
Hi Ed,
I'll make it easy for you since I have the bronze #4 with cherry handles... send me the cocobolo version and I'lll let you know which one I like better! :D :D :D
Seriously, I don't think the handles will take anything away from the gift, it's a very VERY nice plane & a nice gift. It "says more" as a gift than a gift card from some big box retailer.

Greg

James Owen
05-22-2007, 6:57 PM
Hi all - I am going to get a bronze LN #4 as a grad gift for a friend. Do cocobolo handles look ok w/ bronze or should I stick to the default cherry?

The LN website doesn't show pics of bronze+cocobolo combination (that I could find)

I was also planning on engraving initials; is there a preferred location? I was thinking possibly on the side but toward the back so it's out of the way, maybe printed in a small arc... ? thoughts?

thanks-
ed

Ed,

I have a bronze #4½ with cocobolo tote and knob. It is a very attractive combination. The cocobolo compliments the bronze colour quite nicely.

You might consider the initials on the lever cap....

Howie French
05-22-2007, 7:08 PM
You might consider the initials on the lever cap....

I like the idea of initials on the lever cap.

either way... nice gift !

Howie

Ed Jolin
05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys.
and greg - thanks for your generous offer, I'll be sure to send it along when it arrives.;)

-ed

Derek Cohen
05-23-2007, 2:23 AM
Ed

Here you are, but it is a #4 1/2 and not a #4:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LNAnniversary1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Richard Niemiec
05-23-2007, 9:20 AM
Call me paranoid, but rather than the lever cap or the body, I would suggest personalizing initials be placed on the chipbreaker, which could be replaced for a lot less than the lever cap if for some reason the plane changes hands.

Ed Jolin
05-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the pic, Derek! I like the look. Too bad I'm not getting one for myself....

-ed

Mike Henderson
05-23-2007, 1:18 PM
Call me paranoid, but rather than the lever cap or the body, I would suggest personalizing initials be placed on the chipbreaker, which could be replaced for a lot less than the lever cap if for some reason the plane changes hands.
I realize that many people consider owner's marks as a defect in a plane but I'd actually like to own a plane that has the initials on the body of each owner of the plane - and it would be even better if the year purchased was also included. It would give me more of a sense of the history of the plane.

Mike