PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Jake's Cradle!!

Ryan Marcoux
05-22-2007, 3:30 PM
Hi, I am new to SMC and thought that I would share my latest project with you all. My first child (Jacob) is due in September and I just finished his cradle. What do you think?

Nancy Laird
05-22-2007, 3:31 PM
Ryan,

The cradle is beautiful, and will surely turn into a family heirloom (if you can keep him from destroying it during his terrible twos). Did you turn the spindles yourself?

Nancy

David Tiell
05-22-2007, 3:38 PM
That's a beautiful cradle! And you say the baby isn't due til September? Way to work ahead of schedule! I used to work in the wood shop on my local military base here, and my experience with people building cradles is that they usually decide to build it too far into the pregnancy and by the time it's done, the baby is too big!

Again, great job!

Joe Unni
05-22-2007, 5:32 PM
Hi, I am new to SMC and thought that I would share my latest project with you all. My first child (Jacob) is due in September and I just finished his cradle. What do you think?

Congratulations times three!

First post on the Creek!
The birth of your son!
Planning ahead and completing the cradle before he's born!

Very nice work. My first real project was my daughters cradle. You're gonna get a pretty special feeling when you first place him in it...enjoy it!

-joe

Bruce Page
05-22-2007, 8:12 PM
Beautiful job Ryan.

Earl Reid
05-22-2007, 8:24 PM
Ryan
Very nice cradle:) and welcome to the Creek
Earl

Ken Garlock
05-22-2007, 8:31 PM
Yes, welcome to the creek. Do visit frequently.:)

That is a very nice cradle you made. Excellent work.

Tyler Howell
05-23-2007, 8:26 AM
Well Done Ryan.
Jake's a lucky guy to be sleeping in style.
My first real project was a cradle, I worked night and day to finish. I was racing the stork and made it just in time.
You've got way too much lead time on your first born:D

jeremy levine
05-23-2007, 9:41 AM
Congrats... My first son is named Jacob also.

- Does the cradle rock ?
- If so do you have a method of stopping the rocking, newborns can kick their feet
from day 1.

Gail O'Rourke
05-23-2007, 9:47 AM
Gorgeous cradle, and you have it done in plenty of time! Good for you, congrats on baby. Enjoy.

Jim O'Dell
05-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow, first post, from Tejas, baby on the way, and a picture! Nice first post!! Welcome to the Creek, Ryan. I'd say step on in and splash around a little, but you already have! Jim.

Ryan Marcoux
05-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments!

To answer a few questions...

Nancy, I did not turn the spendles myself, I was planning on turning them but chickened out because my turning skills are still a bit lacking. I just need more time to practice.

Jeremy, Yes, the cradle rocks and I am still brainstorming on a device to lock it into place. I would like for the device to be "hidden". My original idea was to place a sliding brass door bolt on the bottom that would slide into a slot on the supports but that would require me or my wife to reach under the cradle to engage it. But yes, I will do something to lock it into place I am just thinking of a good way of doing it.

Thanks again!!!

Ryan

Andy Fox
05-23-2007, 1:49 PM
Great job... and ahead of schedule too! I built one last year which was finished a few months after the baby was born.