PDA

View Full Version : Question

Glenn Hodges
05-22-2007, 3:16 PM
All the Deff Laquer spray cans have a ball in them except the gloss can, why not the gloss can?

Mike Vickery
05-22-2007, 3:19 PM
Funny you should ask. I dont know the answer but I just picked up a can this weekend and noticed it did not have the rattle ball. I shook a couple at the store and none of them did ( iwas only looking at the gloss). I went home and the can that was almost empty of deft gloss did have the rattle ball. The old can was probably only purchased a month or two ago.

Keith Burns
05-22-2007, 4:50 PM
Glenn, it sounds like somebody at Deft just dropped the ball !!:D :D

Tom Sherman
05-22-2007, 5:05 PM
Glen the can I bought the other day has one, maybe they're trying something new. I will refrain from making any comments about the lack of small spherical objects.:o

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2007, 6:49 PM
Glenn I just went out and shook the 2 news ones I bought Saturday. No balls rattling around. Semi-Gloss and Satin do.

Mark Pruitt
05-22-2007, 7:08 PM
Glenn,
I guess it's because gloss just doesn't have.....wait, can't say that here.:D

I guess it must have something to do with the flattening agent that is in the satin. I noticed the same thing a long time ago with the Parks spray poly I was using at the time.

Paul Zerjay
05-22-2007, 7:10 PM
This is just a guess, but I would think that all lacquer starts out as gloss. They use additives to make satin and semi-gloss. These additives need the ball to be mixed up in the can, but the gloss, having no additives, needs no ball.

Curt Fuller
05-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Glenn, it sounds like somebody at Deft just dropped the ball !!:D :D

Or forgot to drop the ball!:confused: ;) :D

But by golly I just went out and shook my deft and you're right. Semi-gloss has a ball, Gloss doesn't.

Mike Lipke
05-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Paul nailed it.
SemiGloss and flat varnish/lacquer is just gloss with "flattening" additives.

If you don't stir it, it comes out gloss, cuz the additives settle to the bottom.

That is why they always say on the container to stir.

Glenn Hodges
05-23-2007, 1:25 PM
Your answers make sense to me, thanks a bunch.