PDA

View Full Version : Progress update on the new shop.

Bill Wyko
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Well on sunday I started with a joisted floor and by monday evening I had a roof on it.:D MAN AM I SORE. I did it by myself but my neighbor helped me stand up 2 walls. Now I rember why I'm not a framer anymore.

Don Orr
05-22-2007, 1:52 PM
Looking good Bill. You'll be turning in there in no time! Keep us posted.

Bill Wyko
05-22-2007, 4:04 PM
Thanks Don. My electrician will be out today to start planning that part. Anyone have any suggestions in regaurds to lighting, outlets or switching I should use?

Keith Burns
05-22-2007, 4:38 PM
Bill when I built my 20' x 24' shop I put in ten 4 outlet boxes. It was not enough. I also put one box centered in the ceiling. Install your outlets at 3' to 4' above floor level. Makes them very convenient. I installed six 4 bulb 4' light fixtures which was the recommended amount for a shop. Wish I had more. Hope this helps.

Mark Pruitt
05-22-2007, 4:49 PM
Bill, I don't see any openings other than the doorway (so far). Do you have plans in place for good ventilation?

Keith Burns
05-22-2007, 4:52 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot. A good window air conditioner.

Brett Baldwin
05-22-2007, 4:54 PM
Good work Bill. I had all I could do in getting a french door put in by myself.

I can tell you that two 8' double florescent fixtures is a good amount of ambient light for that much space, at least it is for me (11'x19' shop). I'd get as good a pair as you can because the buzz from the cheaper kind will drive you nuts. You'll need some task lighting for your lathe that should be incandescent and some for above your bench and any other key areas you might be doing detail work.

I doubt you can have too many outlets so I'd probably go with twice the standard number at least. I'd think about 220V outlets, if you haven't already, as you never know what may down the road and it is easy to do now.
Dedicated dust collector circuit also. How much was budgeted for electrical?;)

Tom Sherman
05-22-2007, 5:09 PM
Looking good Bill still cutting up I see using any glue on the joints.:cool:

Bill Wyko
05-22-2007, 5:17 PM
Yes, there will be 4 windows. One on each side and one on either side of the front door. I also planned on 4 outlet boxes every 4 feet one low on the wall and one about 4 feet from the floor. As far as lighting goes, I'm going to build a drop ceiling in it so I have storage overhead. So the lights will be about 1 foot above my head. Does anyone ever have fatigue problems being under fluorescents? If so, what kind of lighting would be recommended. I'll also be running a couple 220 outlets for dust collection and compressor which will be outside of the building. Thanks everyone, any advice will definitely be taken into consideration. OOps I see brett posted the my awnser to the lights to use. Thanks.

Doug M Jones
05-22-2007, 6:37 PM
Looking good Bill,
It's been fun following your progress. I am a little jealous, I had planned on building a new shop this year but finances wouldn't allow the project to proceed. I'll have to settle for watching yours go up. Keep us updated with lots of pictures. You already make such awesome pieces I can't imagine the quality increasing but maybe the quantity with more space to spread out.

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2007, 6:43 PM
Looks good Bill. Keep us posted.

Bill Wyko
05-22-2007, 7:23 PM
It'll sure be nice to have all my tools needed under one roof. Up till now my tablesaw and my drum sander were at Audio 2000 my shop and the rest was at home. That made it really difficult to make progress. Now I'll set the shop up in an assembly line fashion. Start with tool "A" and end with tool "Z" at the other end.
To answer your question Tom, yes I'm still gluing small pieces to make big pieces. Glued the floor of the new shop too.:)

Robert McGowen
05-22-2007, 9:15 PM
No wonder you are having so much fun building your new shop. It is just a giant segmented hollow form that you are putting together.
But how are you going to turn it? ;)

Travis Stinson
05-22-2007, 9:15 PM
Looking good Bill. I would go ahead and run a couple more 220 circuits, you know......for when you upgrade your lathe. ;)

Richard Madison
05-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Bill,
My new shop (almost complete) has 110 outlets at 4' intervals around all the walls and about half that many 220 outlets, with all wall outlets located ~48" above the floor. Also has eighteen (18) 110 ceiling outlets for that many 2-tube 4' fluorescents, plus six 220 ceiling outlets (not sure where I want the lathe). This is about the same as my previous shop (25' x 30'), and is not too much light. Also a dedicated 220 circuit for the A/C/Heater window unit, and another one for the welder. Got very, very, very tired of of being electrician, but only had to do it once and it will save many, many inconvenient pluggings and unpluggings. If economically feasible, there are much better fluorescent fixtures available than the cheap ones I use. Ceiling 110 outlets are on 3 separate circuits, as a grinder also gets plugged into one, and a couple other things into another. and when working in one end of the shop, I don't need all the lights on. Hope these ideas may be helpful.

Bill Wyko
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone. You've all been very helpful. My electrician is going to hate me.:D He better bring plenty of hardware.:confused: I almost finished completly last weekend but they sent 4 pieces cut backwards so I can't put up the gable ends until I get them. Then I can paint and roof this project. Our tempratures will be in the 100's next week so I'm hoping to get the replacment pieces by friday.:cool:

Patrick Taylor
05-23-2007, 1:51 PM
Thanks everyone. You've all been very helpful. My electrician is going to hate me.:D He better bring plenty of hardware.:confused: I almost finished completly last weekend but they sent 4 pieces cut backwards so I can't put up the gable ends until I get them. Then I can paint and roof this project. Our tempratures will be in the 100's next week so I'm hoping to get the replacment pieces by friday.:cool:

If my memory of Tucson serves me, you'll just have to work between 10 pm and 5 am, right? :rolleyes:

Jim Stoppleworth
05-23-2007, 2:21 PM
Thanks Don. My electrician will be out today to start planning that part. Anyone have any suggestions in regaurds to lighting, outlets or switching I should use?

Bill,
When built in my 24X28 shop I put 3 banks of 3 each of 8' flourescents split on two switches. I put 3 outlet boxes on each of 3 walls for a total of nine outlets on the walls, plus one in the ceiling. I have since added 2 220 volt lines with boxes for the bandsaw and lathe. I built on an existing cement slab. If I were starting from scratch today I'd have outlets coming up from through the floor.

Good looking shop so far!

Jim

Bill Wyko
05-23-2007, 4:07 PM
Yea, it's gonna be 100 degrees when I'm putting a roof on it.:cool:

Pat Doble
05-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Looks good Bill. Making quick work of it.

I just had the slab poured last week for a 14x22 garage addition and ordered the trusses today. I know I won't be moving as quick as you are - but I'm safe until July/August until 100 degrees is a possibility up here. (It seems like just yesterday when I bought that 1950's Craftsman lathe for $2 at an auction - now less than 8 months later I'm building so that the car can once again see the inside of the garage - but hey, I sold that lathe for $25 tonight, so I'm ahead, right ???:D )

Can't wait to see your first 'new shop' piece.

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Looks real good Bill. Congrats on the contruction progress!!!!

Barry Stratton
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
That is going to be a great shop Bill! Good for you!

Let me get this straight though.....you bought a lathe, started turning some great pieces, and made time to BUILD a shop:D . On the other hand, we have a member here who was building a shop, got a free lathe, and still hasn't finished his shop...........:confused: Hmmmmm....................

Bill Wyko
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Congradulations Pat. Got some pics for us? As for me, I used to be a framer but i never built anything for myself. It sure is satisfying to finally have a place to do the stuff that I like do that I was able to build myself.
:D I must say though. I'm really feeling the need to turn something pretty darn soon.:cool: