PDA

View Full Version : Planer problems

Trey Isbell
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
When I face joint my board on the jointer then edge joint I move to the planer. When i plan the boards down to 3/4 i check to see how flat the face is and all the boards have a cup in them about the same amount. I have checked to make sure the jointer is jointing flat and it is I checked it with a straightedge. I'm thinking the planer has some kind of problem it is a ryobi 13" with rapid set blades. Just on a hunch I think maybe the bed is warped. Have any of you guys had this problem. I know its not a specific board because all of them have the same problem.

Richard Butler
05-22-2007, 11:28 AM
It sounds like the planer knives are not set corrrectly. Planer knives can be ground convex or concave which then requires a bit more work when installing. Check your knife height with a dial indicator referencing your planer bed. Check it at a few intervals across the length.

David Tiell
05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I used to have a Delta 12 1/2" planer that gave me the same problem. After looking at it, I found a wood chip caught between the cutter head and blade, causing the blade to bow out and cause the problem. I have no clue how I missed it in there when I changed blades, but must have, because I don't see any way it could have forced itself in there in use, as tightly as the bolts were fastened. Check the blade/knives first, as recommended above.

Al Killian
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
One other thing that could cause the cupping is removeing to much stock from one side. After you get the second face parrel to the first, you should flip the stock to take equal amounts of each side. There are reasons like internal stress and moisture issues that can cause it. Just my limited input.

glenn bradley
05-22-2007, 1:57 PM
Trey,

As Al mentions; are you removing from one face and then the other? If you are repeatedly planing one side of the board you may be getting stress release.

I have had the deal David mentions. It is amazing that a little piece of material can get wedged between knife and roller. In my case I got a wide V kind of a pattern. Loosened the knife, picked out the offending material, reset knives and all was good.

Trey Isbell
05-22-2007, 2:54 PM
Thanks For The Help I Took The Blades Off And There Were Alot Of Wood Chips Sandwiched In There. Maybe This Will Fix It. As For Setting The Blades This Planer Has A Rapid Set System There Is No Moving These Blades Except From Side To Side.
Trey Isbell