PDA

View Full Version : First bowl/vase (Whatever?)

Joe H. Davis
05-22-2007, 3:46 AM
My woodturning club came into a Pepper Tree that was going to be taken down and was able to get a couple of pieces. I am new to turning so this is my first major bowl, done a few small ones, but this is my first shot of anything substantial. Was a great learning experience and the piece is still drying and is still moving a lot that isn’t shown here. Not sure what you would call it, so it is piece Whatever #1

Joe

Steve Trauthwein
05-22-2007, 7:35 AM
A natural edge piece that is what, 8 or 10 inches tall with what looks like nice thin wall thicknes for a first piece! I see great things to come. I wouldn't even have my first bowl but the wife wouldn't let me throw it away.

Higher than it is wide I would call it a vase. (long a, short a, your choice)

Regards, Steve

Glenn Hodges
05-22-2007, 8:29 AM
Looks as if you choose a beautiful piece of wood to turn your first vase. As you progress you might want to think about design with the base being 1/3 the size of the top. I think you did a super job, I would have never posted a picture of my first one, and never attempted a natural edge, great job. I will be looking forward to more of your pictures. BTW, where are you located?

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2007, 8:59 AM
Welcome to the Creek Joe! I like your vase! Great looking wood and finish! I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Keith Burns
05-22-2007, 9:01 AM
Joe, welcome to the Creek ! A great place with lots of helpful folks! Nice looking vase for sure.:) :)

William Bachtel
05-22-2007, 9:43 AM
Real nice. We only get better with practice. Not that , that could get any better. Good job .

Ken LaSota
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Joe welcome to our world. You did a great job on that bowl something to be proud of. Don't forget to sign and date it also the type of wood.
Ken

Joe H. Davis
05-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks, for all the encouragement and praise. I ran into a problem on the bottom as the marking in one of the pictures is a rotted place and I kept hoping that it would get smaller, but by the time I realized it wasn't getting smaller fast enought, it was to late. I was then hoping that the rotted portion was going to dry up and fall out, to make a more interesting piece, but it dosn't look like that is going to happen.

The two things that I learned from this was:

1) I need to be a bit more faster and allocate more time when turning wet wood. I did this piece over about 3 days and by the last day it had warped so bad I couldn't sand or do anything on the inside.

2) I need an additionl rest as the bowl rest that I have dosn't protrude far enought into the piece, so tool control was a problem at the bottom and I was happy to have only one bad catch that luckly didn't destroy the thing.

I was also a bit surprised to find a really long nail in the wood. Luckly it was near the middle of the piece and I was able to turn around it until enought of it was exposed so that I could pull it out. Hitting a nail really, really does a number on the gouge.

I have added a picture of what the blank looked like when I started.

Thanks for all the advice.

Joe

Tom Sherman
05-22-2007, 4:20 PM
Welcome to the Creek Joe, that is one nice looking bowl/vase great looking wood.

Bob Hallowell
05-22-2007, 4:50 PM
I know what I would call it -- "NICE":D

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2007, 6:51 PM
Welcome to SMC. That is a beauty Joe. I would call that a Natural Edge Vase. Nice job.

Joseph Peacock
05-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Welcom to the SMC Mr.Joe, and that's one pretty nev!!;) :D :cool:

Jonathon Spafford
05-24-2007, 3:36 AM
Boy... why do some people have all the talent??? My first never remotely resembled that one! I always say mine looked like I held a beaver to the spinning wood :S Awesome piece!