PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Mike A. Smith
05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
First post, just trying things out. I've been turning for about four weeks, woodworking for a lot longer. I bought a midi lathe just to see if I would like it. Addictive ain't it? I had done a little spindle work and lacking any wood to start on sawed off a piece of 2x6 scrap pine to turn my first bowl. (Guess I'm probably not the first to do that.) Anyway, I had the opportunity to get some fresh cut oak, not sure what kind. After reading many postings here and other spots on the web I turned my first 'green' bowl. Pictures (and hopefully bowls) will improve.

Jonathon Spafford
05-22-2007, 2:05 AM
First, welcome to the creek! Great to have another turner! Second, that is a great looking bowl! My first didn't turn out nearly that good! Way to go!

George Van
05-22-2007, 6:37 AM
Welcome Mike, that’s a fine first bowl. Turning green wood is fun isn’t it? You will never regret having the Midi it will serve you for a long time and even after you are on your next lathe you will be happy you still have it along with the other $$$$$$’s worth of tools!

Glenn Hodges
05-22-2007, 8:33 AM
Welcome Mike, good looking bowl. I have had problems with oak splitting. Pretty good results with chestnut and live oak so good luck with this one. There is a turning club around Columbus.

Keith Burns
05-22-2007, 8:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek Mike ! That is a nice first bowl for sure.:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2007, 8:56 AM
Welcome to the Creek Mike!! Nice first bowl - looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Ken LaSota
05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Mike welcome . Nice job on your first bowl. It's the beginning of a whole new world.
Ken

Tom Sherman
05-22-2007, 4:11 PM
Welcome aboard Mike, it is very addicting you've got a great start that's a nice first bowl.

Mike A. Smith
05-22-2007, 5:55 PM
Hey Glenn, someone from my neck of the woods! Thanks for the info on the Columbus club. I had searched in Alabama and found nothing close, didn't think to look across the river.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I'll probably be posting some more before too long. I'm still at the "Oh wow, look what I did" stage. Of course, that's about a 1:20 ratio to the "Oh crap, look what I did". This bowl started out quite a bit bigger than it ended up.

Doug M Jones
05-22-2007, 6:43 PM
Nice bowl Mike,
My first 3 became funnels or projectiles and # 4 cracked after finishing (I thought the wood was dry). Be careful on this forum, you've been turning 4 weeks and they already are talking about your next lathe. I'm dreaming about a bigger lathe as I try to save money to finish outfitting my mini. That loud sucking sound your money entering the vortex:D

Welcome aboard

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2007, 6:44 PM
Welcome to Creek Mike. That is a mighty fine looking bowl. Keep'em coming.

Joseph Peacock
05-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Welcom to the Creek Mr.Mike, that's one niiiiiice lookn bowl!!!!!;) :D :cool:

Pat Doble
05-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Welcome aboard Mike, and nice looking bowl.

Mark Pruitt
05-24-2007, 6:34 AM
Welcome, Mike! You're off to a great start.