PDA

View Full Version : Norm - Shop Storage Cabinet

Larry Nall
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I was watching Normivision last night. I've been a fan forever, but unfortunately my viewing and Norm's broadcast schedules rarely coincided. With NYWS being on DIY and with satellite and a DVR, I'm catching up. But I digress.

Norm was building a new shop storage unit. I've seen several threads about shop cabinetry in SMC. My new shop is well under way. Rather than build a lot of cabinets, I was planning a 6' x 8' room chock full of wire shelves. That way I can see everything and everything will be closed off from the dust.

I have not seen anyone use this solution in their shops. Just wondering why. Maybe woodworkers just like building cabinets.

Art Mulder
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Sooo, you're planning something like a large walk-in tool cabinet? This seems unwieldy to me. I want my tools closer at hand.

mark page
05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I agree with Art, tools stored next to the location that they are going to be used at. With some exceptions for larger equipment. I don't like walking across the shop multiple times for the same tools continuously used at another work station. Not that I couldn't use the excercise. I don't make my primary living in woodworking, but do supplement it, and time is money...

Randal Stevenson
05-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I have an old coal room, I use as a tool crib. Just a few steps in, but I have considered making a plexiglass door (though less secure).

Mario Lucchesi
05-22-2007, 8:04 AM
We had a system like that when I was in the Air Force. It was a bit of a pain but we made carts that you could roll into the room, get all of the tools that you (thought) you needed for the job and roll it to the site. This reduced the number of trips to the crib.