PDA

View Full Version : Source for Stanley #9 1/2 body?

Dominic Greco
05-21-2007, 8:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a waste of time or not. I was recently cleaning out my hand tool cabinet and found some Stanley # 9 1/2 Adjustable Mouth block block planes I had purchased at yard/garage sales and flea markets over the last couple years. Both have some type of damage. My plan was to find more at yard sales and eventually have enough parts could make one good plane.

Having read up on this block plane on Patrick's Blood & Gore, I know this is one very common plane. And damage to the body (in the area around the "mouth") is very common.

But I have (2) of these lonely little guys. I think I might have spent all of $10 for both. I was wondering if anyone knew of an (economical) source for Stanley #9 1/2 block plane bodies. I have (2) of these, both with damage to the mouth area. This damage is too big to fix by simply filing the mouth.

I've checked on Ebay and have noticed that there are many "Stanley" 9 1/2 block planes out there for sale. Most have a starting price of around $10 (but somehow shipping is ALWAYS and additional $10). All I need is the body. And to be honest, I'm very leery of buying any hand plane off of Ebay. I'd rather have a source someone I know has recommended

I guess I'm trying to decide whether to fix them, or get rid of them.

Thanks,

Mike Henderson
05-21-2007, 9:58 PM
When looking for a Stanley block plane body, look for an early one that has a significant support area at the front of the blade. The later plane body reduced that to a very small area, maybe 1/4 inch wide (or less). The larger support area will give you more support, with less flexing of the blade.

I realize there's a large difference in cost, but (IMHO) the LN and LV block planes are significantly better than the Stanley block planes, especially late model Stanley block planes.

Mike

Dominic Greco
05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
What I had in mind was trying to find a reliable source for USED plane pats. I just want to rebuild this one if I can. What can I say? I love old hand planes and wanted to make this one workable again.:D

If I wanted a new plane block, I'd purchase a LV or a LN rather than waste my time with a new (and IMHO inferior) Stanley.

BTW, I agree with you. IMHO the LN or LV planes are FAR superior to the new Stanley block planes. I have a LN low angle block plan and it is a pleasure to use.

I just wanted a workable Stanley 9 1/2 to add to my collection of Stanley hand planes.

Clint Jones
05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
It would be cheaper to buy a whole new plane. Walt at brasscity sold one for $20 and $25 recently in excellent shape. I sold one for $20 at my shop a week ago. Just look around it's spring and theres estate and yard sales. Your bound to find one for $5 or $10 soon theyre pretty common.

Mike Henderson
05-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Rather than fix up a 9 1/2, which is a very common plane, why not search for a 65 with a knuckle joint cap? That's a plane that will keep it's value, and which is a joy to use. If you decide to look for a 65, watch out for cracking around the back edges of the mouth. Many of them are cracked there.

The 9 1/2 is a standard angle while the 65 is a low angle. Maybe Clint can help you with a 65 if you decide to go that way.

Mike

Maurice Metzger
05-22-2007, 3:55 PM
Sheesh, nothing wrong with a 9 1/2, and having two is even better. It's a good little plane.

Speaking of Walt, you might want to give him or Sandy Moss a call or email. Either of them might have some plane bodies. Also they are out looking most weekends.

Walt:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/51.html

Sandy Moss:

http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm

Oh and check in at Akbar's Tool Hut also, I forget Tom's full name:

http://www.workingtools.biz/

Also I'll keep an eye out.

Maurice

Dominic Greco
05-22-2007, 8:55 PM
Sheesh, nothing wrong with a 9 1/2, and having two is even better. It's a good little plane..... Also I'll keep an eye out.

Pretty much the way I feel. I just love the look and feel of old tools. I know I could buy a new one at a few dollars more. But where's the skill in that?:D And knowing that I made them workable again is reward in itself.

Thanks for all the useful links. They're going right into my "handtools" bookmark file.

Dave Ray
05-22-2007, 9:26 PM
Dominic, maybe you can find what you need here:
http://www.stanleytools.com/xhtml/literature/RepairPartsCatalog0304.pdf