PDA

View Full Version : I actually sold something

Gary Herrmann
05-21-2007, 7:21 PM
I mostly started making pens because my wife likes them. Figured I'd give them to teachers, friends, family etc.

A guy at work asked to see my pen, then asked if I'd make him one. I showed him some pics of wood during lunch, and he picked one.

I've also been asked to make another one for a co-worker's husband - so my sales volume is about to double :rolleyes: . Haven't decided on the wood for that one yet. This one is quilted sapele.

Pete Jordan
05-21-2007, 8:03 PM
Congrats!
You better start working on your Christmas orders.

Benjamin Dahl
05-21-2007, 8:08 PM
gary, very nice. I really like sapele. I am not a salesman by any means but have found that if you make something nice like that people will buy them. something about wood that gets people interested. keep it up and the Bic people will be worried.
Ben

Bobby Perry
05-21-2007, 8:33 PM
Nice looking pen Gary. I have made enough off cartriage pens and poly pens( I pour my own poly) to pay for my lathe, tools, and my supplies up to this point.

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2007, 9:15 PM
Great looking pen Gary and you seem to be on your way. Congrats.

Jonathon Spafford
05-22-2007, 1:58 AM
Great pen! I am just getting into pens and they are really fun projects! Which kit is this one?

Gary Herrmann
05-22-2007, 8:47 AM
Great pen! I am just getting into pens and they are really fun projects! Which kit is this one?

Woodcraft cigar. Not one of my favorites, I think Arizona Silhouette and LV seem to have better mechanisms.

Keith Burns
05-22-2007, 8:50 AM
Congrats Gary !! Nice pen for sure ! Prepare yourself, you are likely to become very busy :) :)

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2007, 8:51 AM
Gary - congrats on your sales! One step at a time - Pete has a valid point of taking Christmas orders now so you don't get hit with a rush! Best of luck to you!

Frank Kobilsek
05-22-2007, 9:16 AM
Gary

My best retail outlet for pens is my shirt pocket. People say 'wow cool pen' I say 'I made it' and it goes from there. Sold a pen on an airplane one time. Do a 'new' they are this much but ... sales pitch. Always keep a couple in the briefcase.

Don't be afraid when somebody says 'would you make me 20'. That comes about six weeks after the first sale. Oh and you'll give too big of a discount for that order, it happens to everybody.

Frank

Ellen Benkin
05-22-2007, 2:56 PM
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times -- how much do you charge for pens? For example, the basic slimline. I figure that with kits and "exotic" wood and other supplies, it costs about $12 to make one.

Frank Kobilsek
05-22-2007, 3:39 PM
Ellen

slim lines - $30 to 35

Cigars - 35 or 40

Roller Balls - 40 to 50

Always use high end plating so kit is $9 to 12 plus the wood.

I don't offer boxes. Just can't justify paying $5 to $8 for something they are just gonna pitch anyway. The guys that sell alot of pens alway have a the gift box thou.

I discount pretty quick for orders of 5 or more if I have them. I resist specific requests like all one wood, especially something boring like plain walnut or maple.

I'm probably medium to low on price.

I don't show pens when I do art shows. I think they are a distraction from larger work and puts on the air of craft versus art. On the other hand I do show stoppers at art shows. Craft shows or festival shows, anything goes.

Ask what your comfortable with. As your turning skills grow so will your confidence in your price. When I first started I made 50 pens at $20 each for a guy, that's $1000, it was great, but I don't know if I would do that again.
Frank

Gary Herrmann
05-22-2007, 4:13 PM
Frank, it wasn't shirt pocket, but I was using it in a meeting. I need to make a few more for myself so I have a variety on hand.

So far I have an order for 1 maybe 2 more. We'll see what happens.

My wife has probably generated more interest because she has a couple in her purse and people tend to ask about them.

Tom Sherman
05-22-2007, 4:54 PM
Very cool Gary, I agree with you about the mechanisms but some of them are good.