PDA

View Full Version : Disston help/info

Michael Comperchio
05-21-2007, 2:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker here and this is my first post. I picked up a couple Disstons this past weekend at an estate sale. Actually, it's my first "haul" so to say. Anyway, after searching the usual places I cannot find any info on either of the two saws and was hoping someone could shed some light on them. The first is a Disston 196 Docking saw, 4 tpi, filed rip. The second I really have no idea. It's little, measures in at 16" long, 12" long blade, 10 tpi, crosscut. Here are the pics which include the other stuff I picked up (perfect handle screw driver, Miller Falls brace, and Clark expansive bit). In case you're wondering, I paid $9 for everything. On to the pics, otherwise as we all know, it didn't happen.

First off, everything.

Here's the etching on the 196 Docking saw.

Here's the small Disston.

And finally the etching on the small saw. I'll try to get a better pic, but this shows there's no # or mention to what type of saw it is.

Any thoughts/ideas about either of the saws?

-Mike

Rob Luter
05-21-2007, 3:53 PM
Try Here: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/index.html

I've found this site to be a wealth of info.

Michael Comperchio
05-21-2007, 4:18 PM
Try Here: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/index.html

I've found this site to be a wealth of info.

Hey Rob,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was including the Disstonian Institute when I mentioned "usual places." I've already scoured the site and didn't see anything that helped identifying or dating the saws.

-Mike

Tom Henry
05-21-2007, 4:35 PM
I am not an expert on this matter but I do believe that you can date the saw by the saws medallion. Please take a close look at the medallion and match it up on this site. That should give you a close date to when the saw was made.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medallionpage.html

Rob Luter
05-21-2007, 4:46 PM
Micheal - Everything I've found suggests it was used for timber framing work. Some auction descriptions include:

Disston docking saw No. 196, A coarse 4 pt. crosscut, strongly breasted, intended for cutting heavy timbers.

A 30" Disston #196 docking saw, 3 1/2 ppi. A monster crosscut, strongly breasted, intended for cutting heavy timbers.

James Mittlefehldt
05-21-2007, 5:28 PM
Further to the question above I ran across a Doston today that I dod not recognize, it was a 705. 5 points per inch, rip cut, roughly 24 maybe 26 inches long, I don't see that on the Distonian site, does anyone know what that one is, I din't buy it by the way I saw it an auction sale.

Roger Bell
05-21-2007, 7:27 PM
Docking saws were used in heavy construction, such as in the mines, on the railroad, etc. where smoothness or the quality of the cut was not that critical....and where speed of cut thru large stock was the primary consideration. Thus the coarse teeth and the strong (often steel) handle.

Michael Comperchio
05-21-2007, 9:39 PM
Rob and Roger, thanks, that's what I was wondering about, what it was used for. I'm new to woodworking and am trying to learn as much as I can about my tools, how they were used, and how to use them and keep them in good working order. I should have stated that in my first post. Thanks for being patient with me.

Tom, from the medallion the docking saw is from the late 40's early 50's. I think the small one might be from the same time because the style of the medallion is similar, but there's no writing or image in it.

Someone suggested that the smaller one might be a child's saw. I had originally thought it might be a metal or pruning saw. Has anyone run across something like it before?

Further to the question above I ran across a Doston today that I dod not recognize, it was a 705. 5 points per inch, rip cut, roughly 24 maybe 26 inches long, I don't see that on the Distonian site, does anyone know what that one is, I din't buy it by the way I saw it an auction sale.

Wow James, that sounds like quite the unique saw. Maybe you should have bought it.:rolleyes:

-Mike

Bill Houghton
05-21-2007, 9:51 PM
The little saw does look like a child's saw, or perhaps a "manual training" saw - that is, one used in elementary school shop programs. The teeth look too fine for a pruning saw to me.

James Mittlefehldt
05-22-2007, 8:13 AM
Wow James, that sounds like quite the unique saw. Maybe you should have bought it.:rolleyes:

-Mike

Yea but you know how it is, your at an auction sale and there is at least two wagon loads of junk and the one thing you are interestd in is in the middle of one of them.

Then you have stuff to do and your wife is with you, actually they had a couple of real nice looking toolbox saws as well, but since I am a user not a collector, ahem, then I did not sticjk around since I already have a tool box saw, a nice one with split saw nuts, and I have several rip saws as well.

Jerry Thompson
05-22-2007, 6:12 PM
I just, last week, pulled down my Father's old rip saw. I had it sharpened and after reading about Dissiton saws I checked out the medallion on the web and found that it was made around 1850. The sharpening shop was all aflutter when the spouse took it in. It is in fair shape and is a user. I can still recall my Dad ripping a long board when he put in double windows in our little house in Philip, SD. I do not know how he came by the saw but I know he was trained as a carpenter when he was young and always had good skills in those matters.

Geoff Irvine
05-24-2007, 1:00 PM
Hello Jerry,
Does your medallion look something like this one on a Disston number 8 of mine? With reference to the DI it would appear this is about 1845 from the handle shape and medallion. Not bad for a saw I picked up with a view to making cabinet scrappers from. OBTW it cost $2.

Ryan Cathey
05-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Hello Jerry,
Does your medallion look something like this one on a Disston number 8 of mine? With reference to the DI it would appear this is about 1845 from the handle shape and medallion. Not bad for a saw I picked up with a view to making cabinet scrappers from. OBTW it cost $2.

Hmm, no one swooped in on this one...it's ok I got your back; *clears throat* YOU SUCK!! There ya go.