PDA

View Full Version : Micro Fence - 2 rails or 1?

John Myers
05-21-2007, 1:56 PM
I'm considering getting the Micro Fence edge guide for my PC 690 router. Does the guide have one rail/fence, or two (one on either side of the piece you're routing on)? I can't quite tell from their picture. It looks like it is just one rail/fence. In which case you need to make sure you don't wobble.

So if I wanted to use it to cut a mortise, can I have a rail on both side to keep the router more stable? I guess that's my real question.

John

Ed Falis
05-21-2007, 2:12 PM
One fence. There are a couple of different kinds (depths) supplied with it. And you can do some custom work attaching wood fences to the mountings.

Doug Shepard
05-21-2007, 6:27 PM
...I'm considering getting the Micro Fence edge guide for my PC 690 router....

A bit pricey but you wont be disappointed. If you can swing it, get their package deal with the circle jig too. Both units are extremely well made. If you have a laminate trimmer you can get an extra adapter base to allow it to work with the MF too. Only problem I've ever had was with one of the lam trimmer base posts stripping out. It's one of the best tool buys I've ever done. As long as you're not climb cutting, the fence will be drawn in tight to the work, though startup torque can kick it out too. It's pretty easy to get used to keeping a bit of thumb pressure against it to keep it up against the work. Wobbling isn't really a problem - clamp multiple pieces together for a bigger surface for the router to ride on. That's going to be true whether you use the MF or another edge guide brand. Plunging INTO the mortise cut can also cause you to shift off the edge (no free hand to hold it snug) but I just attach a Quik-Grip clamp to hold it until I'm in, then pop it loose for moving it through the slot. That's also not a MF only issue.

John Myers
05-21-2007, 9:30 PM
Thank you for the replies and information!

John