PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector: Leave Running or Stop/Start?

Pat Germain
05-21-2007, 1:16 PM
I'm new here and I'm hoping you won't mind helping me with issues as I'm starting to build a garage shop. I've done some searching and didn't find this issue covered previously.

I recently bought a Delta DC. When I'm working in the shop, should I just leave it running, or turn it on only when I'm cutting? I suspect it's best to leave it running, but I'd like to know if there's some kind of rule of thumb for how long to leave a DC running if no cutting is going on.

Roy Wall
05-21-2007, 1:37 PM
Pat -

Welcome to SMC!

If I'm not making a cut for another 10+ minutes.....I usually turn if off - but I try not to cycle the DC on/off more than 5-6 times an hour. I think frequent cycling on/off is the main issue to avoid. I use a Oneida Cyclone and try to plan my cuts so it runs for at least 5-10 minutes at a time....if I end up face jointing and thickness planing for an hour, all the better!

Dan Gill
05-21-2007, 1:40 PM
I turn my off when I get tired of wearing my earplugs and don't want to hear it anymore.

ROY DICK
05-21-2007, 1:56 PM
Pat,

Welome to a great place with caring and sharing people. Stop by often to get some great information.

I run the DC for as long as it takes to do the cutting.I do keep my 2 air-filters on when ever I am in the shop.

Roy

Pat Germain
05-21-2007, 2:25 PM
Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome! I appreciate your advice. I'll go ahead and post a few more questions. ;)

jon shocky
05-21-2007, 3:03 PM
I decided to leave it on for longer periods for the following reasons.

I was going to wire it up to a switch that sensed a power tool on.....so whenever i turn on the table saw it would turn on...but decided against that.

I viewed the initial turn on power surge and its significant compaired to quiesently running power. That means its more wear and tear on DC motor with frequent start/stops. Also I bet the power bill will be larger which frequent starts.

I got a wireless remote to turn on the DC. So now its extremely convenient to turn it on and let it run during an entire cutting operation even though the table saw is stopped many times in between.

Another reason is that the DC wont spin up to max right away, so you have to turn on the saw and wait a bit before you cut. More power wastage.

Also it doesnt hurt to let it run with a port open to help clean the air a bit. I have a 0.5 micron filter on mine thats inside the workshop.

Steve Clardy
05-21-2007, 6:18 PM
I usually shut mine off with the remote.
Mine is a 4 horse, so it likes electricity

Jim Becker
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I leave mine running as I move from machine to machine for reasonable runs of time...and with all gates closed, it's pretty quiet since it's in a sound-conditioned closet.

Scott Vigder
05-21-2007, 11:55 PM
I spent $45 to get the remote and I use it as often as any tool in the shop. I keep one remote near the TS/Jointer/Planer triangle and another remote near the BS/DP/mortiser area.

Sometimes it takes me a few minutes between cuts, so why leave it on? I have the Delta 50-760.

Brad Naylor
05-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Mine's a big 4hp DC system - it works great but it's NOISY!

I had my electrician install 3 extra stop/start switches throughout the shop. You can see one here fixed to the vertical duct by the panel saw;
there's also one handy for my planer and my thicknesser, and one covering the spindle moulder and mitre saw.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/bradnaylor/Img_0437.jpg

This means I can knock the system on and off easily whenever I use a machine. It cost a couple of hundred quid but was one of the best investments I've ever made.

Remote control? Don't make me laugh. It can take me an hour to find the one for the TV at home - looking for one in the shop every time I needed to turn on or off the DC would drive me even more crazy than usual!

Cheers
Brad

john tomljenovic
05-22-2007, 1:07 AM
I run mine when I need it. I don't leave it running the whole time. although I have a ecogate setup that starts the collector when I start a machine. I usually prestart the cyclone then do the operations needed. sawing, jointing/planing, routing or any combination thereof.

My "remote" is a couple low voltage switches operated by pull chains from the ceiling. I never have to move more than 6 feet to trip the collector on. I am with brad, I have a hard enough time finding a tape measure, let alone a remote fob, and I keep 4 identical rules in the shop.

Steve knight
05-22-2007, 1:25 AM
starting motors makes the most heat and a dc takes about the most juice of any tool to start. so try to avoid lots of starts. I have the remote clipped on my apron and never lost one in 6 eyars. the only remote I never lost (G)

Phil Thien
05-22-2007, 8:54 AM
Many people say not to turn the DC on/off because of wear on the motor. But they are induction motors. I don't leave my table saw/drill press on when I'm not using it. Why worry about the DC?

I know, I know, DC gets switched more often because it is used with each tool. But a little common sense. If you've been using the saw and will be using the jointer in a minute, leave the DC on. If you're going to think about your next step for a while, by all means, turn it off.

Steve knight
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Many people say not to turn the DC on/off because of wear on the motor. But they are induction motors. I don't leave my table saw/drill press on when I'm not using it. Why worry about the DC?

I know, I know, DC gets switched more often because it is used with each tool. But a little common sense. If you've been using the saw and will be using the jointer in a minute, leave the DC on. If you're going to think about your next step for a while, by all means, turn it off.
thats been what is most posted. but it takes far less power to get a tablesaw started then the dc. so the motor generates far more heat in a very short time. heat wears out the motor. so turning it on and off with a tool can cause a lot of heat.

Chris Friesen
05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
thats been what is most posted. but it takes far less power to get a tablesaw started then the dc. so the motor generates far more heat in a very short time. heat wears out the motor. so turning it on and off with a tool can cause a lot of heat.

It would help with startup on the DC if you have all the gates closed...that way you're only overcoming the inertia of the impeller, not trying to move air at the same time.

For the same reason, leaving the DC running will consume a lot less power if all the gates are closed--it doesn't have to work to move all that air around.

John Bush
05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Having the DC in an attached shed makes the decision easy. The noise level is low(I can still listen to tunes) and I have the Ecogate system that opens and closes the gates as I move from machine to machine. I do use the remote to shut down the DC if I know I won't be needing it for 15+ min. or so. I sometimes forget and just leave it running with gates closed. I am assuming that is not too hard on the system either. John.

Pat Germain
05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Thank again, everyone. I also have the Delta 50-760. It's fairly quiet, so I'll just use my best judgement as to when to turn it off.

Bruce Wrenn
05-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a sensor in panel box that is actuated by any of the 220 circuits, except for stick welder. Half the 110 circuits also are sensor controlling. By using multi-wire branch circuits this is possible.