PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Powermatic 66--Mobile Base/Dust Port Blockage problems, ideas?

Dave MacArthur
05-21-2007, 1:15 PM
Hi folks, this is my first post to the forums. I've only been here a few weeks reading, but the posts, knowledge, and community seem great! I'm having a hard time narrowing the content down using the search, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon... google search on the site allowed me to get powermatic 66 mobile base.

I read 3 complete threads on mobile bases, but didn't see anyone mention the problem I am having, so decided to post a new thread so it doesn't look like a reply to someone's question, hope that's OK with the forum edicate.

I bought the Powermatic built base for the 52" PM66. Unfortunately, the 1989 version of the saw has a 4" dust port placed RIGHT AT THE FLOOR of the cabinet, only 1/2 " up, and it sticks out about 1". This keeps the saw from actually sitting down inside the mobile base. I was very depressed, as I had called the PM (WMH) customer service to get the exact mobile base model # that would work with a 1989 PM66, and obviously they gave me bogus info.

Because of the dust port sticking out the back of the cabinet, the saw must essentially sit ON TOP of any mobile base. I have been thinking about constructing a base using angle iron, or "superstrut", and just sitting the saw on top of a rectangular frame, and mounting casters on wings to keep the saw low to the ground. Another option was a torsion box base. Has anyone else had similar problems, or does anyone have a good sturdy design for a "sit on top" mobile base for an extended 52" rip saw?
Thx much!
Dave

daniel lane
05-21-2007, 3:04 PM
Because of the dust port sticking out the back of the cabinet, the saw must essentially sit ON TOP of any mobile base. I have been thinking about constructing a base using angle iron, or "superstrut", and just sitting the saw on top of a rectangular frame, and mounting casters on wings to keep the saw low to the ground. Another option was a torsion box base. Has anyone else had similar problems, or does anyone have a good sturdy design for a "sit on top" mobile base for an extended 52" rip saw?

Dave,

I don't know if it will help, but I just bought a mobile base kit from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114) that supplies corner pieces with wheels, two of which lift with foot levers. It uses 3/4" plywood cut to size for the base, and says it will hold 600lb. If your problem is what I think it is, this kind of base would work because the dust port would be at the bottom in the middle, where there would only be the plywood base under the saw. Check it out, hope this helps!

daniel

jon shocky
05-21-2007, 3:07 PM
Ive seen a couple saws where they cut a new port in the side. No big deal. Its just a big cavity to collect dust.