PDA

View Full Version : Designing a table for the art show

Charlie Mastro
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Well I'm on to the second piece for the art show that I built the Whale Tail Stool for so I though I'd share the thought process.

I just started designing a coffee table for a lady friend (who is going to help me with it) .

The first picture just shows the relationship of the top and base from one end and size compared to the couch.

Second picture shows the angle of the leg and where I plan to place it. This piece is all about tension and balance. The leg will be through morticed, epoxied, and fox wedged for strength.And it's for a friend so if it ever breaks she'll know where to find me.

The third picture shows what it will look like when you are sitting in front of it. The leg will show as coming up out of the base and disappearing into the top as it will on the last picture. I need to change the shape of the base to better compliment the top and I'm not sure whether to go with the curve on the top or keep with the straight lines and angles already there. I could go either way or both.

Joe Unni
05-21-2007, 5:15 PM
Charlie,

First...beautiful wood - beautiful concept!

Have you tried turning the table around so when someone walks in the room they see the live edge?

Two reasons that came to mind
- though I've not had the opportunity yet to work with it, I'm very fond of live edges and believe they should be shared with everyone. Also, it could increase the wow factor when someone first sees it.
- if you DO curve the base to follow the top, it may make it easier to slip behind it for the person about the sit down as the curves move away from the couch.

My two cents.

Just the same, good luck and I look forward to seeing its progress.

-joe

Charlie Mastro
05-21-2007, 5:31 PM
Thanks Joe,

I don't like the curve going away from me when I'm sitting down in front of the table. I want it to enveleople me and show the best edge to someone sitting there for a long time. The attraction for the person coming in the room will be the overall look of the cantilevered top with the one leg in tension with the top and base. That will be the draw as I see it.

Joe Unni
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Fair enough Charlie.

Your friend will be very lucky to have such a piece.

Good luck,
-joe

Dick Aubochon
05-22-2007, 5:45 AM
Thanks Joe,

I don't like the curve going away from me when I'm sitting down in front of the table. I want it to enveleople me and show the best edge to someone sitting there for a long time. The attraction for the person coming in the room will be the overall look of the cantilevered top with the one leg in tension with the top and base. That will be the draw as I see it.

Charlie,
First let me say that I enjoyed looking at your website the other day.

I agree that the energy flow is greater as you sit, looking at the live edge of the top. To me (based on limited design experience) a piece such as this is all about the energy. The simplicty of one leg is significant in the overall balance. Nice work.........

Charlie Mastro
05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Dick, Glad you liked my web site. Trying to get my web guy to update a few photos and add a link to the video I have on FWW.com
http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=gluetube&redirCnt=1

Dick Aubochon
05-22-2007, 6:08 PM
Thanks Dick, Glad you liked my web site. Trying to get my web guy to update a few photos and add a link to the video I have on FWW.com
http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=gluetube&redirCnt=1

Charlie,
I checked out the video already, very nice. I'm on my way tomorrow to buy some birdseye maple to make a similiar bench using the birds eye and some bubinga, should be interesting.