PDA

View Full Version : Back after a break

Ian Barley
01-05-2004, 7:22 AM
I have not really been able to get on the forum for most of the last 6 weeks - first two weeks 'cos I was on vacation (Florida) and the next 4 because my web access has been a bit disrupted by the fact that most of my house was destroyed by fire while we were away!

The fire started in an electric timer switching a lamp which was there to make the place look occupied while we were away. It seems that my very good neighbours heard one of my smoke alarms going off and got the Fire Brigade out within 10 minutes of the burn starting. Because they acted quck the fabric of the property (brickwork) is largely intact although all windows doors etc will have to be replaced. Smoke damage has however rendered pretty much everything that we owned unsalvagable. Thankfully everything is well insured and no living thing (not even the cat) was harmed. Best estimate is that it will take 6-9 months to get everything back together and for us to move in again.

Thankfully most of my business records were saved, if a little kippered from the smoke, and my shop is nowhere near the house. A centrally monitored alarm system was always in the schedule of works for the new shop - I just guess that now it will definitely include smoke detection.

I also now have broadband at the shop and wondered wether anybody has experience of connecting webcams to a broadband router. I am thinking of the kind of webcam with a ethernet connection and its own IP address so that I can set one up to be able to monitor the shop over the web while I am not there - any advice gratefully received

Howard Barlow - If you read this I'm sorry I missed you on your recent visit over here - maybe next time.

Jason Roehl
01-05-2004, 8:04 AM
Ian, glad to have you back. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we're very sorry to hear of your less-than-stellar welcome home, but we're certainly all glad that you and your family are fine. Just remember that possessions are great to have, but it's the people that make a house a home. Godspeed in your rebuilding efforts there.

Byron Trantham
01-05-2004, 8:49 AM
I also now have broadband at the shop and wondered wether anybody has experience of connecting webcams to a broadband router. I am thinking of the kind of webcam with a ethernet connection and its own IP address so that I can set one up to be able to monitor the shop over the web while I am not there - any advice gratefully received

Howard Barlow - If you read this I'm sorry I missed you on your recent visit over here - maybe next time.

Ian I am very sorry to hear about your fire. Thank God no one was hurt, not even the cat!

I have a suggestion for web cams - look at X10.com or smarthome.com.

Good luck with the rebuild. :)

Halsey MCCombs
01-05-2004, 9:07 AM
Sorry to hear of your fire.Wishing a quick return to your home.Halsey

Pete Lamberty
01-05-2004, 9:33 AM
Ian, I am very sorry to hear about the damage to your home. I am glad to hear that no one was hurt. Pete

Jim Becker
01-05-2004, 9:40 AM
Ian, welcome back. It's sad to hear about the house. I remember when our neighbor's place went up a couple of years ago and the resulting grief of all sorts--the "little things" that were lost or presented as challenges. Hopefully, you and your family can recover quickly and that your home will be back and available on-time.

As to web cams, I believe that Rob Littleton was playing with one recently...

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2004, 9:47 AM
Ian,
I can't imagine how it feels to loose a home. We have had a pretty depressing Christmas traveling to sick family...feeling all blue about not having a Christmas...but we came back to our home and it only took a few days to recover. Not having a home to come back to must be soooo difficult.

Here's hoping that the rebuild goes smoothly and you're back making it a home again.

Todd Burch
01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
My very good neighbor's house burned up Aug 2002. It was Aug 2003 before it was finally rebuilt and he was back in. (I think it took too long). Anyway, I was able to salvage one of his A/C compressors, a toilet, 200' of 6/2 wire and a bunch of 2X4s, and all were put to good use out in the shop.

A few months prior to the bar-b-que, I had done some wiring for him, out in the garage. My wife called me to tell me that Erik's house was bring down while I was eating dinner in Massachusetts. I thought she was joking at first, then I very frantically asked her where the fire started. She wasn't sure... Gulp.

We found out later that it started in their "home director" box updstairs in a closet, via a surge protector. He had bought a metal $45 dollar protector over the cheap plastic one, in thinking that he would be "safer". The closet door was closed, and it burned into the attic before it burned through the door and into the bedroom where the smoke alarm was. Wife was home with both twins, but everyone got out. What a life upsetting experience.

Very glad you are all OK.

John Scarpa
01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Ian, So very glad you and your family are ok. The up side is that you'll have the opportunity to perhaps make some improvements as you rebuild. Hope you are back in soon!
John

Bill Grumbine
01-05-2004, 6:43 PM
Hi Ian

I am glad to see you back, but sorry to hear of your misfortunes. A fire can be a traumatic thing, but I am very glad to hear there was no loss of life, not even the cat! It is going to be a pain, but everything will end up being practically new. Good luck with the process.

Bill

Tom Sweeney
01-05-2004, 10:22 PM
I'll join the others in expressing both my condolences on the house & thanks that no one was hurt. Hopefully all your arrangements, while rebuilding, will be comfortable. Good luck in the rebuilding of the house & what Jason said bears repeating "it's the people that make a house a home".

Good Luck