PDA

View Full Version : Retirement gift for son's teacher

Gary Herrmann
05-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I asked my son's teacher what she would like for a retirement gift from my limited repetoire. She requested a walnut bowl.

I didn't have any at the time, but luckily Mark Stutz happened to come by that weekend and dropped off a couple of walnut log sections - thanks Mark.

Is this whats called a footless bowl? It just has a flat spot on the bottom, which I kinda like. It did crack, but I glued it and was able to save it. As time permits, I'm going to have to work on varying my bowls more.

My son gave it to her this morning and as you would expect from a 1st grade teacher, she gushed over it. A very nice lady. I hope all his teachers will be as capable and in tune with the class.

Its about 7.5" x 3" and has 5 coats of General Finishes Salad Bowl finish.

Keith Burns
05-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Well Gary, I see why she gushed !! Great form and finish! Nice job:) :)

Joyce Baldauf
05-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Gary,

In one of my lives (careers) I was a teacher. Had anybody given me a gift like that, I would have been thrilled too.:D

Patrick Taylor
05-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Beautiful work, and a great finish.

I like the bottomless bowls like you've done here. I think they're a great balance between beautiful form and a shape that's asking to be used.

Mark Pruitt
05-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Gary, that's a beautiful piece of walnut and you really brought out the best in it. Not sure about the "footless" definition, but I think that would apply if the bottom was perfectly round with no flat area to "seat" it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Beautiful bowl Gary! Great form, wood and finish! I can see why the teacher was thrilled to receive it! Nice work!

Ken LaSota
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Great job. I havent tried a bottomlees bowl it looks interesting.
Ken

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2007, 12:51 PM
That is a beautiful bowl Gary. I can definately see why she gushed over it. Nice job.

Paul Engle
05-21-2007, 4:30 PM
Gary yeah man dats the one, nice job, and dontcha just love that salad bowl finish? Great stuff.If ya start now you may have enuf made by the time he graduates from HS, but I some how dont thinks so . once the word gets out on this bowl watch for teacher changes mid semister :eek: :D .

Mark Stutz
05-21-2007, 6:25 PM
Nice job on the bowl Gary. Putw me to shame...at least mine is cut into blanks and sealed.:o

Mark