PDA

View Full Version : sawstop first impression

William Nimmo
05-21-2007, 8:43 AM
Well I wired my shop and got a sawstop downstairs and through my 32 inch door opening and have the machine about a week now.
I got the 52 inch rails and extension table even though I wanted the 36 for more space in my small shop. The 36 would have been special order. LOVE THE LONG RAILS. Love the exra prep assembly table they provide . Not as intrusive as I thought.
It was not until I took off the stupid blade guard that I realized how much I love this saw.
All the instructions say "use the blade guard". On most of the message boards, sawstop users all say they use the blade guard and the antikickback pawls.
Give me a break! pun intended. Forget that pita blade guard.
With the blade guard off I lower the blade for setting sheet goods on the entire length of the table so as to size down with my festool ts55. I use 3/4 strips under the sheet.
With the guard off, I see the work so much better and am not deeling with strips of wood needing special attention to be released from the pawls.
I am so much more comfortable with the riving knife and NO STUPID BLADE GUARD.
O.k. I feel better now.
Love my Sawstop.

Don Bullock
05-21-2007, 9:39 AM
William, I'm glad that you finally have it running. I'll have to admit the posts about removing the antikickback pawls are starting to convince me that I should try it. I have looked at the possibility of removing the antikickback pawls from the blade guard. It looks like I only have to remove one nut and they're off. My shop time has been so limited for the past few weeks that I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Personally I don't find the actual blade guard that much of a problem, but I do like the option of removing it and installing the riving knife.

Mark Singer
05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I have never used a guard on trhe SawStop or other cabinet saws....I need to see the blade and I need to see whats going on. I am not sugesting that anyone do it. If you use board budies and the riving knife and a proper push stick......there is a lot of safety if you have eperience. It is a very ,very good saw!

jon shocky
05-21-2007, 3:10 PM
I dont know anyone that keeps the saw guard on. Even every woodworking TV show does not have it unless the show is about saw safety then is quickly removed for actual work

Mike Goetzke
05-21-2007, 3:45 PM
I dont know anyone that keeps the saw guard on. Even every woodworking TV show does not have it unless the show is about saw safety then is quickly removed for actual work

I never used one until I found the Shark Guard. A couple big advantages of the SG over OEM guards is that it takes seconds to remove and provides for excellent above the table dust collection.

Mike

Al Willits
05-21-2007, 4:05 PM
I found I'd take the guard off and then just leave it off as it was a pain to replace...then I ordered a SG as I'm no where near good enough to be running without a guard and the easiness of the SG should help in keeping my fingers attached to me.

Al....who doesn't have a saws stop to save him from his mistakes

Scott Goldby
05-21-2007, 4:34 PM
Here is another bit of Information. Had to take a 30 hour OSHA class for re-certiication. Talking with the instructor and mentioned that I had a Sawstop. Asked her that with the sawstop's technology if I was still required to use the blade guard from OSHA's perspective and she said, "no". Just thought that this was interesting.