PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box finished!

Brian Kent
05-21-2007, 1:07 AM
I just finished this Maple and Purpleheart jewelry box for a scholarship auction at church. I made it from a plan, changing the wenge in the plan to purpleheart.

I used it as an opportunity for learning to make drawers - my second project with drawers.

I have a scroll saw but decided instead to make the curves with spokeshaves - the first time I have tried them.

I used a wooden spokeshave made from the Lee-Valley large spokeshave kit, the two miniature rosewood spokeshaves made by mujingfang and sold by Lee Valley, and a cheap stanley knock-off that I bought because it was really cheap (anant) and I wanted to get something crudely made but with all parts present to work through an article about tuning up a cast-iron spokeshave. I also smoothed out the convex surfaces with my second attempt at making a Krenov-style plane. This time it was a block plane made from Bloodwood with a Hock blade.

All in all - tons of fun learning.

It's a silent auction through the month of May and is going for $60 at the moment.

Tony Ward
05-21-2007, 4:37 AM
Looks great, well done. Good luck with the auction!

Mack Cameron
05-21-2007, 7:26 AM
I just finished this Maple and Purpleheart jewelry box for a scholarship auction at church. I made it from a plan, changing the wenge in the plan to purpleheart.

I used it as an opportunity for learning to make drawers - my second project with drawers.

I have a scroll saw but decided instead to make the curves with spokeshaves - the first time I have tried them.

I used a wooden spokeshave made from the Lee-Valley large spokeshave kit, the two miniature rosewood spokeshaves made by mujingfang and sold by Lee Valley, and a cheap stanley knock-off that I bought because it was really cheap (anant) and I wanted to get something crudely made but with all parts present to work through an article about tuning up a cast-iron spokeshave. I also smoothed out the convex surfaces with my second attempt at making a Krenov-style plane. This time it was a block plane made from Bloodwood with a Hock blade.

All in all - tons of fun learning.

It's a silent auction through the month of May and is going for [quote]$60 at the moment. $60.00 is way too cheap for a jewlry chest such as that!

Is there some way I can get in on the bidding? How about a starting bid for me of $150.00

Brian Kent
05-21-2007, 2:45 PM
I checked with the president of our men's group which is holding the auction, and he's fine with that.

Is there any rule against that on the creek? Should I keep in touch with you by e-mail instead of by this thread?

Whatever the details, Thank you!

Zahid Naqvi
05-21-2007, 3:11 PM
$60.00 is way too cheap for a jewlry chest such as that!

I agree the jewelry box is way too nice.

Ken Werner
05-21-2007, 3:16 PM
Lovely box. Keep us posted.
Ken

Tim Knight
05-21-2007, 6:56 PM
Hi Brian,

I bought the plans for the same jewelery box but got side tracked building a new workbench. I hope to build the jewelery box for my daughters birthday in September.
Were there any gotchas with building?

It looks wonderful!

Thanks,
Tim

John Goodridge
05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Beautiful box. I like the contrasting woods. What did you use for a finish?

Thanks,

John

Brian Kent
05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Tim, the only problem was that I had to cut away just a little from the back undersides of the side rails to the lid. There wasn't quite enough clearance, but it was easy to fix. Otherwise, I thought the plans were excellent. They taught me new techniques along the way.

John, I used two coats of teak oil, then after drying for 72 hours used the Beal Buffing system up to the carnuba wax.

Doug Littlejohn
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM
jewelery box there Brian. I like the simple lines but has an elegant feel to it.

Let us know how the auction turns out.

Doug

Timothy G. Craig
05-26-2007, 8:19 AM
Where might I find the plans for the box you made. It's an excellent piece of craftsmanship! I would like to make this box.
Thanks,
TGCraig

Jim Becker
05-26-2007, 10:47 AM
That's really lovely, Brian! Wonderful piece.

Chuck Hamman
05-26-2007, 2:08 PM
Brian,
Holy smokes, that piece is beautiful! Your selection of material and the way you used the grain in the maple is perfect. Great project; great cause.

-Chuck

Brian Kent
05-26-2007, 5:05 PM
Timothy, I got the plan from woodcraft. Here is the link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=60228

I really appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. Thanks everyone!

Brian Kent
05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Mack, Thank you so much for getting the bidding going.

A church member won with a last-minute bid of $175. Based on other item results, you are probably responsible for about $100 extra going to the scholarship fund. Thanks!

Brian

Scott Thornton
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Timothy, I got the plan from woodcraft. Here is the link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=60228

I really appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. Thanks everyone!

I like your's better, the purpleheart looks great.

Mack Cameron
06-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Mack, Thank you so much for getting the bidding going.

[quote]A church member won with a last-minute bid of $175. Thanks for that Brian. I only wish I could have had the chance to bid again. While you appear happy with the auction price, I would have given whoever won it a run for his money!!:mad: