PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Grass

John Hulett
05-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Anybody have any experience with this stuff? My FIL is well into his 70's and is looking to minimize the maintenance in his back yard.

Thanks,
John

Randal Stevenson
05-21-2007, 9:18 AM
Does he have a homeowners association?

There was an article about an elderly lady in Florida a couple of years back, with no follow up, fighting hers, because her restrictions just said grass, never said real or artificial.

Other then that, I'd say it would be good, and he could have the grandkids mow it with thier artifical/toy lawnmowers.

David G Baker
05-21-2007, 9:24 AM
John,
I lived in drought potential Northern CA for many years and came up with a solution to the grass mowing and watering issue. I removed a bunch of top soil and added landscaping cloth under approximately 6 inches of river rock. The only maintenance was a leaf blower/vacuum in the Fall of the year. I now reside in Michigan with at least 3 acres of lawn where the drought problem is not as big an issue.

Al Wasser
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I have also heard the zoning or covenant problem. I have heard that in dry areas like here, dust blows and over time will collect in the "grass" and allow weeds to start so it is not mtce. free. Not sure if you need to vacuum it or hose it periodically or what. Might check that out

Al Willits
05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Guy at work says his neighbor has their back area around the deck done in fake grass, says buy a good wet or dry shop vac as weeds will grow in the dirt/dust that can build up.

Says he seems to like it though.

Al

Russ Filtz
05-21-2007, 1:12 PM
At least in Tampa where I live, the homeowners associations only control what can be seen, i.e. front yard, fencing, no sheds poking over the fencing, etc. Backyards you can pretty much do what you want. I would still check your own specific rules. One guy in my block put in the wrong type of sod and they made him rip it out and replace!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-21-2007, 2:48 PM
Anybody have any experience with this stuff? My FIL is well into his 70's and is looking to minimize the maintenance in his back yard.

Thanks,
John

Green painted gravel is cheaper and is still green.
I have heard horror stories about that stuff. Usually it has to do with poor drainage and mud.

Pat Germain
05-21-2007, 4:25 PM
I think many of the drainage issues have been resolved with modern artificial turf. My next door neighbor has had this stuff in his front and back yard for several years and it still looks new. He has six or more large dogs at any given time at his house (his wife trains dogs) and the turf has really held up. There's no way real grass could survive all those dogs.

I also think many of the "horror stories" come from people who make a living off real grass: landscapers, nurseries, lawn services, etc.

My area used to have lots of convenents about requiring real grass. After a few years of drought, those rules went away.

Marc Casebolt
05-22-2007, 7:38 PM
John,
Try to check some out on a hot day after it's been in the sun for a while. I've heard that it gets too hot to walk on bare foot, or for kids to play on.
Real grass as you know stays cool, but this stuff holds heat like blacktop.

By the way, how is that compressor working out?

Marc

Lavy Garcia
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Yes it is right that synthetic grass goes really hot in a sunny day.But some manufacturers companies have introduce the synthetic grass item which reflect the light and did not absorbs the heat and remain pretty cool while in a sunny time.