PDA

View Full Version : Bird Feeder

Joseph B. Chritz
05-21-2007, 12:49 AM
This is drawn for .25 thick material. The acrylic I used in the photo is .20.
I scaled everything 82% and it worked OK.

I'm undecided on the bird silhouette in the end pieces, I broke one trying to pop it out.

The file is CD12.

Joe

Carol VanArnam
05-21-2007, 1:22 AM
I'm going to try it with wood.... thanks for the file should come out nice... i like the clear acrylic

Frank Corker
05-21-2007, 6:14 AM
Joseph, that's really nice, I'm certainly going to give it a shot

Dave Jones
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
One drawback of the clear, birds get confused by clear. Ever seen a bird fly into a window? Colored acrylic might be better, especially transluscent instead of transparent.

Joseph B. Chritz
05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
My first thought is to paint the acrylic and engrave a pattern while it's on the laser.
The roof could be made to look like shingles, the sides any design.
I think wood would look nicer, cedar, cyprus, or some other weather resistant variety.

Mark Koenig
05-21-2007, 5:42 PM
This is drawn for .25 thick material. The acrylic I used in the photo is .20.
I scaled everything 82% and it worked OK.

I'm undecided on the bird silhouette in the end pieces, I broke one trying to pop it out.

The file is CD12.

Joe

Thanks for the file Joe... Tried it out on some white Plaskolite acrylic today... Your right about the feet on the small bird but it turned out GREAT!!!

Carol VanArnam
05-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I like the frosted acrylic look. I'll have to see what the cost is to make one out of acrylic vs wood. Thanks for posting it's very nice...

Mark Koenig
05-22-2007, 7:12 AM
I like the frosted acrylic look. I'll have to see what the cost is to make one out of acrylic vs wood. Thanks for posting it's very nice...

Thanks for the kind word and nice of Joe to share that design...

A local sign shop gives me their remnants for these small project so the only investment is 15 minutes on the laser... :D

Patrick Grady
05-22-2007, 9:19 AM
Nice project Joseph. One extra amenity you might design into the file is to extend the bottom flare-outs of the two side pieces so that a holes could be drilled to accommodate a landing dowl (wood or acrylic) which would run the length of the feeder on both sides.

Bill Cunningham
05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I have not built this one yet, but I have used acrylic for the roof of one out front of my house.. One of the side benefits of acrylic is the Squirrel entertainment factor.. The thieving little buggers can''t quite get a grip on it, and some of the crash landings are quite spectacular:D