PDA

View Full Version : Can't see what I engrave on wood

Mason Dumanski
05-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi to all. I have searched a little, but really did not see anything. Here is my problem. So far it does not matter what kind of wood I use, but I can not create a burned look. Now I know that you really are not able to burn the wood like a hot stamp or such, but my stuff looks nothing like the dark markings that you might see on Epilog or Universals website. I have bought some plaques and post it note holders and business card holders. It engraves perfect, but it is just like you took off .020" of the wood. Ther eis no dark marking. I am not sure what the wood is, but it is from a place that said it is for lasering. I have gone to wood crafters and bought all different types and just have no luck. Cab anyone give me some pointers to start with? I have a Universal M-300 35 Watt. It is about 1.5 to 2 years old. I have owned it since it was new. It really has not been used much in the whole time I have had it. I really have only done about 1000 mag lites and just small amounts of other testing on woods with it. Thanks for any help.

Leigh Costello
05-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Mason,
What settings did you use to engrave the wood? Did you try slowing down the raster speed and is the power set high? I don't know enough to troubleshoot, but that is where I would start.

Good Luck!

Mason Dumanski
05-20-2007, 11:26 PM
100 power, 47 speed, 500 ppi. That is what was in the book for the raster setting? What setting would you guys use?

Dave Jones
05-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Try setting the dpi higher. I get much darker engravings at 600dpi than at 300. 1200 would probably be even darker because the beam overlaps so much more.

Some woods don't give a dark engraving, and would need a paint fill, so it helps to know what kind of wood you are working with.

sunil jain
05-21-2007, 2:24 AM
Mason,
Hi, I think browning of wood also depends on its variety. In my area there are local wood pale yellow in color but the engraving do not change enough color so that photo can appear. I always use steem beech to engrave photograph. the result is excellent with power 100, speed 35 and dpi 300.

Tom Cullen
05-21-2007, 9:59 AM
Hi Mason,
I think if you slow the speed down to about 20% and power to 100% you will get the effect you desire. I find the oilier the wood the better the burn marks. On a lot of woods you will need to use a color filler. I use regular squeezie shoe polish ( black ) but to do this , it's recommended that you first put a coating of varnish ( clear or otherwise) on the piece first . This will prevent bleeding when you use the fill. You may have to run over the piece a few times to get the burn look you are after...depending on the wood. Hope this helps?

Tom

Dave Fifield
05-21-2007, 4:36 PM
Buy some alder wood - that has the best contrast of all.

Larry Bratton
05-21-2007, 9:21 PM
Mason:
That's about the right setting. I have a 40watt Epilog and I laser Alder and plaques from JDS (alder from Laserbits) at 45s/100p and 600dpi. I think that the type wood your using would make a difference. Alder works particularly good. Some woods just don't do well, so be aware of that and do some research. Wood is probably the most laserable material their is though. Just need to get the right stuff. It also needs to have a finish on it prior to lasering. All of the plaques I get and the alder have a finish and they do fine.

Jeff DeVore
05-21-2007, 9:30 PM
To get a dark mark on red oak with my Epilog 75W I slow it down to 10S and 100P for regular graphics and lettering. On alder I use 20-40S and 100P depending on how deep I want it. On photos on alder I speed it it to 40-60S and 100P or you will burn up the image.

Mark Koenig
05-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Buy some alder wood - that has the best contrast of all.

What is a good vendor for alder sheets??? Could you post a link or PM me???

Thanks Mark...

P.S> Been trying poplar and it's not what I'm looking for...:confused:

Nancy Laird
05-22-2007, 1:12 PM
Mark,

You might try http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm for the alder. It's isn't showing on the website, but I think they get some on occasion. Wouldn't hurt to call Rhonda and ask.

Nancy

Larry Bratton
05-22-2007, 8:45 PM
Laserbits has it. http://www.laserbits.com/
Click on Wood sheets. I've used it and it works good for me.