PDA

View Full Version : I lost my chart for Freud stacked dado

Mark Schwobel
05-20-2007, 7:56 PM
Can anybody point me toward a source for a printed copy of the chart for sizing the widths for a set of Freud (diablo) stacked dado blades?

I lost mine somewhere along the way. Thanks

Mark

Dave Hale
05-20-2007, 8:06 PM
There's a simplistic chart on the Freud website:
Go to the bottom of the page.

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/sawblades/Dadoes/html/Dadoes_1.html

Charles McCracken
05-21-2007, 9:20 AM
Mark,

I can email one to you if you like. Which dado set do you have?

Hubert Carle
05-21-2007, 9:40 AM
Chart? We don't need no stinking chart!

Make your own but not paper. Take a piece of plywood and make a "story stick" That way you can take any piece of stock and fit it into the stick and know exactly what you need. Mine I labeled one side with the size the other with what blades needed. My set came with four large, one smaller, one smallest. ( don't know the exact measurement and don't care) I labeled them 1,1,1,1, 2, 3. So for example one cut may need blades 1, 1, and 3.

Smile

And I made zero clearance inserts for each group.

Dennis Peacock
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
What???? You mean to tell me there's a CHART that you can go by with a stacked dado set????????

I've had my 6" SuperDado set for years and I've never had a chart with it and I bought it new. Sure would be handy and a time saver. HINT, HINT!!!
:D

Dave Hale
05-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Mark,

I can email one to you if you like. Which dado set do you have?

Charles,
Why not put them on your website for us to be able to download?

Charles McCracken
05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Charles,
Why not put them on your website for us to be able to download?

I would if I had the ability. Perhaps in the new version of the site that is coming (hopefully) this summer. For now, anyone that wants it can email me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jimmy Tallent
05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I have the 8 inch super dado set,it's a good set but it's a pain to get the right chippers and blades together,and trying to use the shims is a nightmare,nothing is marked . Its a guessing game when you have to set it up.

Randall Davis
05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I have the 8 inch super dado set,it's a good set but it's a pain to get the right chippers and blades together,and trying to use the shims is a nightmare,nothing is marked . Its a guessing game when you have to set it up.

thats what the chart is for!!

Joe Chritz
05-28-2007, 9:55 AM
Chart? We don't need no stinking chart!

Make your own but not paper. Take a piece of plywood and make a "story stick" That way you can take any piece of stock and fit it into the stick and know exactly what you need.

DOH! :o

Looks like I have a project today.

Joe

Bruce Wrenn
05-28-2007, 3:52 PM
I have the 8 inch super dado set,it's a good set but it's a pain to get the right chippers and blades together,and trying to use the shims is a nightmare,nothing is marked . Its a guessing game when you have to set it up.Not really, just get close, and cut a dado. Using dial calipers, measure dado width. Then measure item that is going into dado. Figure the difference between the two. Add, or subtract the required shims. Usually get it on second try.

Keith Weber
05-29-2007, 3:22 AM

I agree that it is a PITA to work with a set where nothing is marked (and I was surprised to find that not even the chippers in my Freud set were marked), but it doesn't take long to remedy the problem for future use.

As soon as I figured out which chippers were which, by comparing relative widths to what was on the chart, I marked each chipper with a permanent marker. I wrote down both the size (ie. 1/8"), as well as the associated letter from the chart.

For the shims, I did the same -- marking both sides with a permanent marker after measuring with a micrometer. There's only 4 different shims if my memory serves me right. There's just multiple pieces of them to mix and match. The thinnest was 0.004".

Maybe Charles could mention to the appropriate people at Freud, that it would be a nice upgrade for future sets to have everthing marked.

Keith

Jimmy Tallent
05-29-2007, 4:58 PM
When you go by the chart it still doesn't come out right,then you have to fight with the shims.It's just not very user friendly,but is a good set and it does a very good job. No rant here,Thanks Jimmy Tallent

Dean Egnater
08-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Assuming I didn't screw this up....

Attached to this post there is my home made sd500 series chart...smaller and easier to read than the Freud chart IMHO. Also included my fraction/decimal/mm chart. Just a couple nice things to have on your shop wall.

Jay Jolliffe
08-05-2010, 2:35 PM
Jimmy you could always get the dial A dado by Frued.......Then there is no shims.....I don't have one but read on here there pretty slick.....You also have to make sure it will fit your saw......I guess it doesn't fit every saw....Does anyone know if it fits the PCS sawstop?