PDA

View Full Version : Trellis and Board Buddies on the Incra

Dave Hale
05-20-2007, 7:46 PM
I'm gonna kill 2 birds with 1 post.

Got the trellis done! Bought some 6" cedar, dado'ed a 1 incher every 4 inches about 3/8" deep. Real pain when the Freud Dado doesn't do a full inch! Thank goodness for the Incra fence. Set the Dado to 3/4", made the 1st cut at the 4" inch mark and then shifted 1/4" for the second cut. After about 1 hour of cutting dadoes, I was sure getting tired yesterday.

Then I split the cedar into 1" strips, the Board Buddies sure helped in lopping off 1" strips 28 times! Each cross-over got a dollop of glue and a brass screw. The screw is in the back so you can't see it. I had maybe 3 crossings that I had to 'force' into place, not bad for so many strips. Reinforced the sides with 1 3/4" square sides and 1X3 uppers/lowers front/back. Practically stands on it's own. I mounted some 2X2 cedar to the garage, making sure I hit studs and hung the trellis from the mounts. Got a yellow climbing rose and some kind of purple climber for the sides. This area gets 8-10 hours direct sun so at the end of summer, I'll snap another shot.

LOML said if we ever move, it's coming with us. Lotta money in that cedar trellis. :)

Can't figure out in-line shots, so I'll do multiple posts to get it all.

Dave Hale
05-20-2007, 7:47 PM
One more shot of trellis and 'Dave's Cutlist'. :)

Dave Hale
05-20-2007, 7:54 PM
And for you Incra fans, the Board Buddy shots!
Using the hole depth configuration in the manual for an aux fence, I made these out of some 1" oak I had left over. It just barely works for the 1" strips I mentioned earlier, but anything wider is a piece of cake! You have to use the T-track on the left or right side, I chose right. Middle won't work, I don't think the middle 'track is really a T-track. I find it to be very sturdy with just the 2 nuts. If I'd change anything, it would be the height. I'd say another 3/4" higher would be perfect to be able to get the BB within 1/2" of the fence for tiny ripping. Since I've got my Incra 'wrench' in my tool belt all of the time, I find that using the Incra-supplied bolts works great for me. I just need to find more of them for other jigs I'd like to make. WoodPeckers has the nuts, just need to find the bolts........
Anyhow, here's the pictures that I promised, Mr. Bullock. :)

Don Bullock
05-20-2007, 9:46 PM
Anyhow, here's the pictures that I promised, Mr. Bullock. :)

And he appreciates them greatly!!!;) :D

Thank you very much Dave for the Board Buddy shots. They do help, and I'll be getting a set as soon as I can. Thanks.

Your trellis looks fantastic. I can see how the Incra fence would help greatly in making one like that. Great job!!:D

Bill Huber
05-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Very nice looking trellis, I am just glad the wife doesn't read this forum.... LOL

I do have a question on the Board Buddies.

The wing nut on the back sets the tension on the spring and the bolt out the back is for what, moving it in and out ???

So lets say you are cutting some 3/4 stock, you set the tension and do you then have to change it if you went to 1 1/2 in stock?

Roy Wall
05-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Very nice looking trellis, I am just glad the wife doesn't read this forum.... LOL

I do have a question on the Board Buddies.

The wing nut on the back sets the tension on the spring and the bolt out the back is for what, moving it in and out ???

So lets say you are cutting some 3/4 stock, you set the tension and do you then have to change it if you went to 1 1/2 in stock?

Bill,

You are correct.......THe lower bolt raises and lowers the wheels to accomodate the stock. I usually keep them about a qtr inch lower than the stock and let the spring tension allow the wheels to roll up and on top of the stock without too much tension. Board buddies are my friends - I like them!

Dave - Excellent work on the Trellis!!

Tom Cowie
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
And he appreciates them greatly!!!;) :D

Thank you very much Dave for the Board Buddy shots. They do help, and I'll be getting a set as soon as I can. Thanks.

Your trellis looks fantastic. I can see how the Incra fence would help greatly in making one like that. Great job!!:D

We appreciate you too Don.:)
Tom
Ps: If my wife see's this I'll be building a trellis next weekend !

Don Bullock
05-20-2007, 11:45 PM
...Since I've got my Incra 'wrench' in my tool belt all of the time, I find that using the Incra-supplied bolts works great for me. I just need to find more of them for other jigs I'd like to make. WoodPeckers has the nuts, just need to find the bolts........ :)

Give Incra a call. I'm sure they'll sell you some, or perhaps send them to you free. They're nice people.:D