PDA

View Full Version : First real post, first plane rehab, plus a question

Roald Euller
05-20-2007, 5:48 PM
After lurking for many moons, here is my first real post to this forum (other than the occasional minor question).

I have read many posts here about rehabing old planes, so I finally took the plunge and purchased a Stanley #5 on ebay for $20. When it arrived, it was in a lot worse shape than I expected - handles loose and cracked, blade bent and very badly sharpened, plus of course much rust and pitting.

Undeterred, I soaked all the parts a vinegar solution over night, vigorously applied emory paper and steel wool, installed a new knob and tote, lapped and sharpened the cutter, cleaned and oiled all the threaded parts, and polished the brass. The result was a very reasonable user plane - at least to my relatively inexperienced eyes. Not perfect by any means, but I learned a lot, and it now produces some lovely shavings in soft pine.

My question is this: while I was working on the plane, I experienced a distinct sliding sensation, as though I was slipping down a slope. So, I decided to go inside and have a look at ebay where I found some nice looking #7s and #8s which I added to my watch list. Afterwards I felt much better. Is this something I should worry about?

(before and after pictures below)
http://www.rjeuller.com/images/woodworking/before.jpg

http://www.rjeuller.com/images/woodworking/after.jpg

Adriaan Schepel
05-20-2007, 6:02 PM
Nice one!

Don't worry about the slope ... just roll with it. Some people here even use a sled on it.

Regards,
Adriaan

Mark Stutz
05-20-2007, 7:30 PM
That slipping sensation you experienced was real. It is very subtle and insidious at first...like any other addiction..." I can stop any time I want to!"...tes, right:D :eek: The problem is that this is only one part of the slope. Just was till you get to block planes, spokeshaves, braces, bits, and don't forget chisels...they look so lonely laying there with no handle:eek: ;) ...not to mention specialty planes...and that's just the metal ones! Enjoy the ride.

Steve Clardy
05-20-2007, 8:28 PM
He's a goner.:eek: No way back up the slope:D

Randal Stevenson
05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
The slipping sensation is your sliding down on the green pieces of paper that your leaving behind.

But your getting more of a workout then a lot of people do at the gym with the amount of time verses money spent.

Phil Clark
05-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Don't worry about the slippery slope but be sure to control the rate of travel. I've been looking at collectible tools on Ebay every day for three years. The trick is to know what you can afford, remember the cost of shipping, and set your priorities. There are many tools I want but can't afford so I watch them but avoid the bid button. My advice would be to watch for awhile and make note of the going prices for what you are interested in. There are few Stanley tools that don't come up fairly regularly so don't worry about watching one go by. Enjoy

Dave Anderson NH
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope Roald. If you would like a push to get you really up to speed, get in touch with PATINA. This group of collectors, users, and tool afficianados will absolutely qualify as abettors. Best yet, they are all in the DC area.

Terry Bigelow
05-21-2007, 4:08 PM
All hope is lost. Give in to the slope! Hope you have an area designated for these babies in your shop...you'll soon need it! You'll know you're there when you start hiding them from your wife. I know this from experience, she busts me all the time. The good thing is once you get above 20 or so she can't tell how many you have!!:D

Ken Werner
05-23-2007, 9:46 PM
Slope? There is no slope.

Resistance is futile.

Seeya at the bottom.

I'm Ken, and I'm a planeaholic.