PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw guides gave up the ghost

Burt Alcantara
05-20-2007, 5:06 PM
I'm doing routine maintenance on my bandsaw and found I could not get the guides adjusted. The entire assembly is wobbly, the bearings wont hold adjustments and the thrust bearing has a mind of its own. I'm guessing a replacement is in order.

I've heard a lot of good things about wooden guides. I don't see how I could use that with this system - Grizzly G0555.

My main use for the BS is sizing logs for turning blanks. I realize that crosscutting and rippings logs is pushing if for a 14" 1hp bandsaw but I've got to live with it for a while.

Any suggestions on a decent guide that won't break the bank?

Thanks,
Burt

Tim Martin
05-20-2007, 9:07 PM
I'm doing routine maintenance on my bandsaw and found I could not get the guides adjusted. The entire assembly is wobbly, the bearings wont hold adjustments and the thrust bearing has a mind of its own. I'm guessing a replacement is in order.

I've heard a lot of good things about wooden guides. I don't see how I could use that with this system - Grizzly G0555.

My main use for the BS is sizing logs for turning blanks. I realize that crosscutting and rippings logs is pushing if for a 14" 1hp bandsaw but I've got to live with it for a while.

Any suggestions on a decent guide that won't break the bank?

Thanks,
Burt
Hi Burt, I had a similar problem. Mine was just that they were horrible euro guides and I just didn't like them.

I made my own guides. They can accept Cool blocks, but not sure if I will ever get them. At the moment I just use a hardwood soaked in Chainsaw bar oil, but have some Lignum Vitae to use for the blocks.

Pretty sure nothing will ever break, and the thrust bearings are an easy change over.

Worth a thought.

Burt Alcantara
05-20-2007, 10:34 PM
That is one cool guide! Long block, low profile. What more could you ask?
Unfortunately, this is way beyond my abilities.

Great work Tim,
Burt

Tim Martin
05-22-2007, 9:35 AM
That is one cool guide! Long block, low profile. What more could you ask?
Unfortunately, this is way beyond my abilities.

Great work Tim,
Burt
Thanks Burt.

Just for the record, all I used to make the guides were pretty standard tools. Basically a welder, angle grinder, drill/d.press, files, and an M8 Tap for cutting threads.

Burt, I have not heard anything too bad about Carter guides. Have a look at these guides that I think will fit your Grizzly 14" bandsaw. (http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=130&cat_id=13)