PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a newcomer

Chas Jones
05-20-2007, 4:09 PM
Hi from Uk hobby turner,

I don't expect that I will be able to contribute much to your site but as I have been browsing for a while I thought that I should at least join and show my face.

Started turning in may 2005 and promptly got hooked, now it is somewhat of an obsession, albeit with just simple no brainer forms.

There is a link to most of my outpourings so far on my website under gallery. (http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/)

Pete Jordan
05-20-2007, 4:33 PM
Welcome Chas!

You have a great gallery! I "borrowed" a few ideas for my idea folder. Hope you don't mind.

Chas Jones
05-20-2007, 4:43 PM
Borrow as much as you like Pete, I doubt there is anything there that has not been done a hundred times before, I'm afraid I rarely plan a piece these days, the last 12 months have been mainly from local green storm victim timbers and are just whatever seems appropriate at the tooling stage.

Shane Whitlock
05-20-2007, 5:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek Chas.

I enjoyed browsing around your galleries, you do great work!

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2007, 5:52 PM
Welcome Chas to SMC. I really enjoyed your gallery. You got some beautiful pieces there.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2007, 7:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek Chas! Like everyone else, I too enjoyed visiting your gallery. You do some really nice work! Look forward to your postings!

Joyce Baldauf
05-20-2007, 7:24 PM
Welcome aboard. Really enjoyed your gallery, that is some great work.

Terry Quiram
05-20-2007, 7:33 PM
Hello Chas

Welcome to SMC. You have a most impressive gallery. A friend of mine is living and working in Peterlee which happens to be very close to Jimmy Clewes. Are you in his neighborhood?

Terry

Chas Jones
05-20-2007, 7:53 PM
Afraid not Terry, I'm way down south by UK standards, only 262 miles but 5hrs travelling (http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?client=public&lang=&rn=GB&input_rt=aproute_pan&startcountry=GB&startrd=&starttown=&startpc=gl67pb&endcountry=GB&endrd=&endtown=Peterlee&endpc=&qs=q&starttime=00%3A37) though due to cross country routeing.
Have seen Jimmy demonstrating at national shows in the past.

Chris Barton
05-20-2007, 8:23 PM
Welcome Chas! Very nice work you have on your website!

Nancy Laird
05-20-2007, 8:29 PM
Chas, welcome to the Creek. The water's fine and the bullfrogs and tadpoles only nibble on your toes and don't bite too badly. I too visited your gallery and saw some really pretty things. Those zebrano pieces are just gorgeous; is that a wood found only in the UK? I've never seen that before.

Don't be afraid to post pics here; we LIKE pictures.

Nancy

Chas Jones
05-20-2007, 8:45 PM
OK Nancy, Wood related anyway. Although we are not in these pictures (http://www.southcotswoldramblers.org.uk/walk200311daneway.htm) the woodland where most of my green timber comes from is, it is within view of my home.

Oh and thanks for the welcome folks, may be an hour or two before you here from me again (1:43am here)

Joseph Peacock
05-20-2007, 8:50 PM
Welcom to the smc Mr.chas!!!! :cool: ;) :D

Glenn Hodges
05-20-2007, 8:57 PM
Welcome to a turner from the old club across the pond. I enjoyed looking at your gallery, thanks for allowing us to view it.

Keith Burns
05-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek Chas !! Great place to spend your time. Nice galley you have. Thanks.

Joyce Baldauf
05-21-2007, 10:50 AM
The pictures of your ramble reminds me of the ones I took while attending University in Yorkshire many years ago. Always amazed me how people allowed/encouraged walks through their private fields and woods. Thanks for the memories. They were great times.:)

Jonathon Spafford
05-22-2007, 1:50 AM
Welcome to the creek! Make sure to post lots, give us lotsa pix (we love pix) and, of course, enjoy yourself! Your turnings are really lovely... it's always great to have another talented turner around here!

Chas Jones
05-22-2007, 5:52 AM
Don't know about the talented Jonathon, what I turn is pretty much of the plod along variety.

May be a while before anything new shows up, currently doing a re-org against the battle of the chippings and dust and green rough turning of a stash of logs to salvage as much as possible before it all disappears in the cracks.