PDA

View Full Version : Missing iron cap for HMT Gordon shoulder plane

Paul Heagen
01-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Newbie here...and was hoping someone here could help.

I have an ebony HNT Gordon shoulder plane (bought from Highland Hardware in Atlanta) that is now missing the wooden peice that tightens the plane iron (OK, I took it out when sharpening the iron and vaccumed the wood piece up without noticing). Highland Hardware said they would not help.

Does anyone knows how to contact Gordon or know of any technique for making my own?

Thanks,

Dave Anderson NH
01-05-2004, 5:30 AM
If you check out the Sawmill Creek terms of service you will see that we require the use of real names rather than handles here. This is to prevent the anonymity which fosters flames and other uncivilized behavior which makes some other websites less than friendly. I have contacted you by private email to explain further. For now this post will stay in place, but I reserve the right to pull it if terms of service are not met. Now on to the subject.

The part you are refering to is the wedge. For a first effort, I would perform the unpleasant task of opening up the vacuum or dust collection system and go fishing. If the wedge is ebony like the rest of the plane it should be pretty easy to spot against the lighter background of most other woods and shop debris. Making a wedge is possible, but not the kind of task you want to begin without a sample to work from. Usually each wedge is individually fitted to a particular plane even though the basic pattern would be the same for others of the same type and size. Maybe someone else here could give you the address of Terry Gordon's website. In the old days he used to be an occasional contributor on Badger Pond and was always willing to share his knowledge or help folks out.

Alan Turner
01-05-2004, 6:58 AM
http://www.hntgordon.com.au/abouthntgordon.htm

is the address. I corresponded with Mr. Gordon when I bought a smoother, also from Highland Hdw., and he was quite helpful. Why don't you contanct the company and see if they can help, assuming that the dust bin is already out the door and landfilled.
Alan

Pam Niedermayer
01-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Which shoulder plane did you get? I've got a 3/4" ironwood HNT, would be happy to trace the wedge for you if no one else can help. First I'd contact Terry. There's also an Australian retailer who carries his stuff, Mic International (http://www.mik.com.au/), who also carry spare blades.

Pam

Paul Heagen
01-05-2004, 2:27 PM
Pam

Thanks for yoiur help. I have contacted Terry and hope to hear back from him. If not, I will be most grateful if I could take you up on the offer to trace your wedge piece.

I'll check back with you in a few days.

Thanks!