PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Wolverine jig...HELP!

Phillip H Smith
05-20-2007, 1:47 PM
G'day All...

I'm awaiting the arrival of a Wolverine grinding jig (with the Vari-grind accessory jig) and I'm hoping to use it in conjunction with a pre-existing Veritas grinding system.

The Veritas has worked extremely well in the sharpening of plane irons and chisels used in "flat stock" woodworking. But...it wasn't all that helpful with many of the turning tools. Freehand grinding is an artform that escapes me.

So...I bit the bullet and ordered the Wolverine units. In hope of getting a "jump" on the set up, I downloaded the instructions from the Oneway Web site. I note that they recommend two things that need clarification, so maybe you veterans can help.

1. Oneway recommends taking the rubber feet of the grinder, if you need to raise it on a platform to achieve the recommended height above the table of 6.25 - 6.5 inches. My new grinder (a Delta GR450) already sits at 6.5 inches above the table -- with the rubber feet on the base. Is there any need to remove the feet? Do they cause a problem with the Wolverine jig?

2. Oneway recommends having the front surface of the grinding wheels about 0.5 inches from the front of the table. Is that because the flat table or the "Vee" arm cannot get close enough to the wheel if the grinder sits farther back on the table? This is somewhat critical, because my Veritas tool rest needs to have a bit more room to mount securely at the front of the wheels.

Because I go back and forth between "flat stock" work and turning, I want to be able to do the necessary sharpening of tools without the hassle of having two grinder set ups. I guess if I have to, I can simply move the grinder from one platform for sharpening turning tools to another for putting an edge on my other tools. But that seems like a bit of a hassle

Besides....since I got into this turning thing, I've spent WAY more money than I dreamed possible! Example, my 6 in. grinder which worked fine for my plane irons and chisels didn't seem to be adequate for turning tools. So I went out and bought an 8 in. variable speed grinder...and then the Wolverine jig. WILL IT NEVER ENDhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon5.gif

I don't mind the spinning vortex...it's sound of money being sucked from my wallet that's got me bothered at the moment. Moreover, I'm having a hard time hiding the expenditures from my auditor! And, I'm sure you know who I mean.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice....

Jim Milne
05-20-2007, 2:28 PM
Phil,

Oneway has an instructional video that may provide some help:

Wolverine Jig Demo (http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm)

Jim

Burt Alcantara
05-20-2007, 5:30 PM
I've got the Wolverine setup. It took me a while to get a good grind on bowl gouges. For me, the Oneway didn't help. A few members at my club tried to help. My 6" gouge looked like a pencil stump. Guess I'm dense.

It all came together when I recently took a class with Trent Bosch. I told him right away that I could not get a grind that was not embarrassing to show. He took me over to the slow speed grinder and in 30 seconds got me to make beautiful and sharp grinds.

What I'm getting at is don't expect to set up your jig and get a great and sharp grind the first time. Ask everyone for advice and try it. Eventually, you'll get it.

Hope this helps,
Burt

Stephen Mushinski
05-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Answer to the will it never end : NOPE!

Seems to only get worse.

:)

Gary DeWitt
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
The urge to spend more money on turning paraphernalia is actually a self-replicating virus. You spend on something you "need", do another project with the new "toy", and in the process discover you "need" something else! Buying something new and using it creates the need for the next thing.
I wish some of the turning tool companies were traded on the stock market!

Dale Stagg
05-22-2007, 9:45 PM
Removing the rubber feet guarantees no movement due to rubber expanding or shrinking due to weather conditions or other factors.

I did not measure the grinder from the end of table and works great. Mine is more than 1/2" with no problems. I just mounted grinder with a dry run of the Wolverine system and adjusted to where the slide goes all the way in without any hangups. Ginder is about 1" from end of table.