PDA

View Full Version : Joiner

jason lambert
05-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I am making some cabinets and I tried the fest tool plainer on the base to use as a joiner but the in feed side of the table is about 2.5" just to small to be at all useful to stablise long boards on, to bad they don't make something longer. Is there any extension I can make for that? If not, what do you recommend for a joiner that is simple and will do a decent job, low maintenance also since it will only get used once in a while, I am a hobbiest woodworker. I am thinking of a small delta floor model or are there any bench top models with a decent table?

I also have used my benchdog router table in the past and that worked good but just takes to long to set up and take down.

Michael Schwartz
05-20-2007, 2:04 PM
Hand held power planers are meant for things like trimming doors etc... They do have their uses in a woodshop, but they are not meant to edge joint boards. They are simply too short to be effective at this. A hand held planer will just ride over any cup or bown in the edge of a board. Theoreticly the most you could possibly edge joint would be mabey a 20 inch or so long piece.

Your best bet will be to get a Stationary Jointer with as long of a bed as you have room for and can afford.

The Router table is very effective for this and is an apropriate size for face frame and door frame parts.

You can make a sled, or use a strait edge guide with a router to accurately edge joint a long board.

jason lambert
05-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes I relise that, but any sugestions for a joiner?

Nancy Laird
05-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Suggestion: Steel City 6" wedge-bed, very strong, very well-built, reliable, and with a 5-year warranty. We bought one - got it in January, and we LOVE it!!!

Nancy