PDA

View Full Version : Up, Up...and Away!

Jim Becker
05-19-2007, 10:14 PM
After our normal Saturday YMCA visit for swimming lessons (Alesya) and Karate (Nastia) we all headed to the local airport for a big open-house to help support the planned runway expansion, etc. (many local officials are against it, but it's an FAA safety recommendation to make the runway about 800' longer) Aside from some welcome refreshments, one could sign up for the free "sky rides"...which in reality meant a ride in a 4-seater plane. It was a very long wait and the weather was threatening, but we finally got up in the air.

Alesya balked at going up, but Nastia signed on right away. In the end, both girls joined me for a nice ride and despite their claims of fear during the experience, they really enjoyed it. (they survived Space Mountain...why not this?) They got to see the Delaware river from above, their school building from a little bit of distance, the local hospital and the piece de resistance (at least for Alesya's eyes)...McDonald's right under our wing on final approach.

Here's some pictures from the afternoon for your enjoyment:

Jim Becker
05-19-2007, 10:14 PM
And more pictures...that last one is a Russian/Romanian designed Yak complete with Cyrillic lettering. (There were some very nice vintage planes on display)

Mitchell Andrus
05-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Jim, That looks like a fun time.

My 16 yo son (H.S. soph.) is getting ready to take his FAA written test following a 28 hour course. He gets two tries at it. If he passes I told him I'd pay for flight school so he can have his private lic when he graduates HS, otherwise, he's got to wait til college.

Two more courses/tests follow... Oral exam and the flight test...

He's got the bug to become a professional pilot. We'll see. It's not easy... this test isn't a walk.... it's designed to shake your tree a bit.

Jim O'Dell
05-19-2007, 11:29 PM
A friend of mine growing up took lessons at 15, actually got her pilots liscense before she got her car liscense!! She had plans when young of being an astronaut. Those dreams didn't happen, but married her multi engine flight instructor, flew cargo out of our rural Okahoma home town (Ada), and last I heard was a Captain with Delta. (She may be retired by now if she took an early out.) So if you fly Delta, and your Captains name is Carolyn Pasquilino (spelling is probably off), tell her I said HI! Jim.

John Schreiber
05-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Flying small planes is a great joy. I was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet and learned to fly as a teenager.

Unfortunately, it's probably the most expensive hobby this side of . . . . Never mind, I couldn't think of anything more expensive.

Steve Evans
05-20-2007, 8:42 AM
Flying

Crazy career, best job in the world. Unfortunately it's an addiction.:eek:

Steve

Pete Simmons
05-20-2007, 9:25 AM
Prior to Woodpens and Laser Engraving I built and flew this.

One of Burt Rutan's early designs.

Sure wish I had the laser while building this. Even more so I wish back then I had a red dot pointer to use as a 30 foot straight edge!

Recently I have lasered a few instrument panels for local homebuilders. They understand that I can do a good job with the lettering but when I tell them I can layout and cut the whole panel, including mounting screw holes they get REAL interested.

My wife and I flew the Long-EZ all over the US.

Extreme long range on a tank of fuel. 1200 miles without even thinking about best mpg. 1800 plus if I slowed down and tried to max out the mpg.

About 180 mph.

I was based in Connecticut and I use to tell people starting right now I could beat them anywhere east of the Mississippi. I later expanded that to anywhere in continental US.

By the time they even got to the airport I was 300 miles out and unless they were lucky and caught a direct flight the Long-EZ was quicker.
Today commercial air travel takes most of the day to go anywhere if you need to make a connection. With the Long-EZ I could go Connecticut to Florida in about 6 hours.

Some people looked at it and said "oh you snapped a kit together". Well this kit was a set of plans, a big box of foam and two large rolls of fiberglass. No preformed parts.

A beautiful turned pen may be great instant satisfaction but 3 years of work, first flight and 10+ years of trouble free flight is a very satisfying experience.

Go build a plane. You will enjoy it!

Mitchell Andrus
05-20-2007, 9:51 AM
A close childhood friend (in Canada) used to talk constantly at age 10 about becoming a pilot. At 52, he's now at the top of his career with Air Canada - he's flying one of thier 8 brand-new 777's internationally.

He started out sleeping at and sweeping floors and teaching at Halifax International at age 17. He earned his private in three weeks, age 16.

Hey, when you get the bug... Oh, yea... he's now engaged to my sister!!!!! Now THAT'S a somethin'!!!

Dennis Peacock
05-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I LOVE TO FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure wish I could get a license to fly for the heck of it. I was told I could get an FAA Waiver (since I've had a heart attack at age 37) that my health and heart condition have been stable for 10 years now.
I took up flying and teach radio controlled air planes and I LOVED that since I couldn't fly a real plane. I have 4-1/2 hours in a Cessena 172, all time was spent with friends or as a birthday gift because a guy that used to work for me gave me the greatest gift of my life....1 hour in a 172 as the pilot.

I have 4 take-offs and 5 landings in a 172....the LOML will tell you...I have a "purple passion" for flying.

Say....anybody.....come and give me a ride in your airplane.!!! ;)

Pete Simmons
05-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Dennis - Yes I too had a heart attack when I was young ( 43 ). I did manage to get my medical back. The FAA sure did not make it easy, but it is possible.

Leigh Costello
05-20-2007, 10:53 AM
In 1972 we moved from the burbs near Lambert Field in St. Louis to rural Missouri. Mom and Dad had to get away from the noise once the 747's started using Lambert. I have always loved airplanes. Much to my delight and my sibs, the neighbor behind us built an airstrip. Now another neighbor in the next section has also built a strip. While I cannot pilot, I can always watch the planes coming and going. Sometimes I almost get the nerve to get into one of the small planes. :o

By the way, I always have to call the strip owners before I fly my kites and other assorted flying toys. :D

Jim Becker
05-20-2007, 6:00 PM
I've only "piloted" R/C aircraft outside of a few minutes in someone's plane (I don't recall who) many years ago. The thing I enjoyed the most on Saturday, besides giving the girls a nice new experience, was the view. With all the flying I do for work, the view out the side window just can't compete with the view out the front window. A few years ago I got a little treat flying in a puddle jumper from PHL to Dulles...the pilots forgot to close the door and I had an isle seat. The approach to a "big" airport is a pretty impressive sight from that perspective.

Pete, that's a beatiful plane! I can see why you enjoyed it so.

Matt Meiser
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
So Jim were the girl more afraid of the plane ride or the ride to the airport? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

My senior year of college our department head flew three of us from Terre Haute, IN to South Bend, IN to meet the "customer" for our senior design project. I got to be the co-pilot and it was a lot of fun other than the strong winds. South Bend is no Dulles, but the approach was pretty impressive as you said--we had a full-size Northwest jet waiting for us to land.

Whenever I fly, I enjoy seeing places I know from the air and when it is clear I can usually pick out where I am over Indiana/Illinois/Michigan/Ohio. My flights to/from St. Louis last week was a special treat since we were flying fairly low, it was extremely clear, we flew right over my house. Then on the way home I took a bump from an overbooked flight for a free travel certificate and got re-routed through Chicago. On the way out of town we flew right by downtown and got a great view of downtown and the lakefront.

Martin Shupe
05-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a great experience for the young ladies, Jim.

Mostly when I fly it is dark. Sometimes there are stars, lately mostly thunderstorms, rain, and lightening. A full moon is a really nice treat. "The moon was as bright, as a reading light" (Night Rider's Lament) is a true statement, it really lights up the cockpit. Sunrises suck, especially eastbound. Oh, they're pretty, but when I see one it is way past my bedtime. The radios are quieter at night. No stepping on other people 3 or 4 times just to try to check on the new freq. Of course, every once in a while, the controller forgets about you until you are out of range.

You get used to staying up and sleeping in the daytime. The hard part is switching back to sleeping at night when you get home.

Dan Gill
05-21-2007, 8:30 AM
Sounds like you had a great day, Jim.

Dennis, you can get a waiver. I did it after my heart attack (also at age 37). It took about 9 months. Unfortunately, I started my training before I got the waiver, so I went a loooong time before I could solo. That added time and expense to my training, but it was still a lot of fun.

I haven't flown in several years now (it is a very expensive hobby), but I don't regret one moment the time and money I plunked into it. It was a dream of mine as a kid, and I waited until I was over 40 to do it.

Dick Latshaw
05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Sunrises suck, especially eastbound.

A long time ago when I was in the USAF, I was a C-118 (DC-6) AC. Flew a lot of runs to Europe. Heading east, that sun would hit you in the eye at what would have been about 1 AM Eastern time.

Nights were nice. I also flew the C-141. Coming back to the lower 48 from Alaska was really pretty, particularly if the Northern Lights were out.

Tyler Howell
05-21-2007, 1:11 PM
Aviation has been a great career.
I can't find enough well trained people to fill some of the opennings.
A lot of the work we're doing this summer is runway expansions so we're not picking on your airport Jim.
Glad you and the ladies enjoyed it.