PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening

Charles Jackson III
05-19-2007, 9:17 PM
I am wondering do I need another sharpening stone I have Japanese 800/4000 girt waterstone, that I got from rockler, I been trying to sharpen some cheap Stanley Chisels and a Cheap Stanley Plane Blade and I cant get these thing razor sharp for nothing. I am wondering do I need a higher girt stone like a 8000 grit or just a slow speed grinder to put a hollow grind on the blade, or I just got bad chisels I am planning on upgradeing to footprint beech handle chisels and old stanley bailey bench planes. I been watching Frank Klausz Hand Tool DVD and I am learning a lot I wondering if I change my chisels to a howl grind bevel will that help sharpen it.

Michael Schwartz
05-19-2007, 10:07 PM
To start with for chissles a 25 degree bevel will suit you will.

I don't use a moterized grinder, just a 10 dollar cheapo honing guild and 60 grit sandpaper.

Invest in an 8000 grit water stone, My tools come off of my 4000 grit stone still a bit dull.

If you want a cheap solution order an assorted pack of pinnacle brand honing film from woodcraft $5.00 and stick them on a $2.00 12x12 marble tile from Home Depot. the 5 micron fillm will fill in for the 8000 grit stone, and the .3 micron film will leave an edge that is beyond razor sharp. BTW the finest stropping compounds are only .5 micron.

I dont like hollow grinds, instead just use a secondary bevel buy increesing the cutting angle on your gigue buy a few degrees. Saves having to sharpen the whole bevel, and when you are done, bump it up again and but a micro bevel on it with your 8000 grit stone or better yet .3 micron film. A secondary bevel also creates a more durrable edge.

I higly recommend if you do get an 8000 grit stone to get a strop and veritas green stropping compound, or even better 3M .3 Micron Microfinishing film available as refills for the Pinnacle Sharpening System from Woodcraft.

And finaly, you should flatten and polish the backs of your blades and plane irons. This is a one time thing, and you will be amazed at how much better of an edge they will take.

Charles Jackson III
05-19-2007, 10:45 PM
I figure I need a 8000 grit stone and a honing guide.

Joel Goodman
05-20-2007, 12:57 AM
8000 grit waterstone (I have a Norton) makes a huge difference!

Michael Schwartz
05-20-2007, 3:57 AM
The Nortons are great, buttery smooth!