PDA

View Full Version : buisness name

Austin Dienner
05-19-2007, 8:19 PM
HI, my name is austin dienner and this might be a very stupid question but i'm going to ask it anyway. I need a name for my woodworking buisness. I pretty much do whatever people ask me to, bookshelves, segmented bowls, cedar chests, stools, cabinets, checkerboards, stuff like that. I have been thinking for a name for quites some time now and can not think of one.
So once again i need a name for a custom woodworking buisness. LOL
anybody with any ideas please let me know
Austin Dienner

Nancy Laird
05-19-2007, 8:24 PM
Austin, we named our business D&N Specialties, D for David and N for Nancy, and Specialties because we will do just about anything "special" for someone. Our interests and our products are so widely varied--custom cabinets and furniture, laser work, turning--that it seemed like the right name for us.

I could suggest:
A?D Specialties (using your middle initial for the ?)
Dienner Specialties
Dienner Enterprises
A/D or A?D Enterprises
A?D or A/D Woodworking

or go with something like Expressions in Wood, Inspirations in Wood, Wood Specialties.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Nancy

Ron Brese
05-19-2007, 9:13 PM
Austin,

My wood business name is "From the Workshop of Ron Brese" my plane making business is just simply "Brese Plane." I think simple and to the point is best.

Ron Brese

David G Baker
05-19-2007, 10:57 PM
"AUSTIN CUSTOM WOODWORKING" sounds great to me.

Mitchell Andrus
05-19-2007, 11:08 PM
"Austin Dienner Studios at <your website here>.com

Austin Dienner Studios at oaksawdustmaker.com, for example.

See the header on my website.

Randal Stevenson
05-19-2007, 11:19 PM
The Board Woodworker, was always one I thought of (and laugh about).

John Schreiber
05-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Dienner Woodworking or Dienner Woodworks sound like winners to me. I read recently that people associate German names with craftsmanship and engineering. Dienner looks German to me, so that might be a good way to go. (Schreiber Woodworks, hmmm?)

Jonathon Spafford
05-20-2007, 2:55 AM
The Dienner Studio of Fine Woodworking?

Dienner Wood Furniture?

Dienner Woodcraft?

Austin Dienner's Workshop?

The Dienner Wood Shop?

Anyway, let us know which one you pick! BTW, do we get a commission :D :D

Justin James
05-20-2007, 6:08 AM
Well, you could always wait til the last minute and improvise . . . the sawmill I work for recently bought a sharpening shop. Earlier this week I was filling out a bid sheet for a job and realized I had to have a name for the business. So I made something up--its not like were going to get the bid, right?

We got it, and I had to request they fax me a copy of the paperwork because I couldn't remember what I called it! :eek:

Maybe that isn't such a good idea . . .

Dennis Peacock
05-20-2007, 10:22 AM
What about Dienner's Dandy Designs

Might-uh figgered comin' from a southern boy eh? :D

Rob Bodenschatz
05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Normally, I'm not a big fan of using your name as a business name. Maybe it's because with my name I could never do it. :o

I don't like using initials, either. Too hard to remember unless you're NBC or CNN or something like that. We've had several XYZ Lawn Care guys do our lawn and I can't keep any of them straight.

That said...

I think you have a cool name. Austin is a little bit different, giving you an creative slant. Dienner concerns me a little because I'm not sure how to pronounce it. DEENER? DINNER? DI-ENNER? That can be easily overcome, though. It's not that bad.

My vote would be for Mitchell's suggestion: Austin Dienner Studios. Generic enough such that you're not pigeonholing yourself. Simple. Sounds classy. Yeah, I like it.

Curt Fuller
05-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Austin Woodworking...............If I Can't Make It, You Don't Need It.

David G Baker
05-20-2007, 5:23 PM
Dennis,
I was thinking that it would be more of a Northern Boy name than a Southern Boy. For some reason Dandy just doesn't sound Southern. Remember Yankee Doodle Dandy?:D

Nancy Laird
05-20-2007, 5:29 PM
David, obviously you haven't spent much time in the South. We have names down there that you wouldn't believe--just ask Bubba!! :D When I was working for the Navy in a disbursing office, I had a sailor whose name was--swear it --Junior XXXXX, Junior!!! Where was he from??? Alabama!!

Nancy

David G Baker
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Nancy,
Guess I have led a sheltered life.

Nancy Laird
05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Naw, David, you just have lived in Yankee-land too long. :D Gonna have to get you down south for a spell.;)

Nancy

Nancy Laird
05-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Dupe post deleted.

Brad Naylor
05-21-2007, 1:39 AM
I always liked the business name used by a woodworking friend of mine in London;

The Dovetail Joint

Cheers
Brad

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-21-2007, 2:46 PM
I agree with everyone that says you should use your name.

Glenn Clabo
05-21-2007, 3:12 PM
A. Dienner Custom Woodworking Co.

Belinda Barfield
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
For best brand recognition a business name should say what you do (make, sell, etc), and be easy to remember. Your name is great, but might be a little hard for some folks to remember. Simple name "The Wood Shop" or "Woodworks". Flashier "Creative Wood Concepts".

Al Willits
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Furniture by Dienner
Or, Furniture by Austin
or..

Wood by..
or Woodcraft by..

Al...who stays out of the south because of people named Bubba....:D

Belinda Barfield
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Al...who stays out of the south because of people named Bubba....:D

Aww, come on Al, there's some real nice Bubettes down here! We's all so friendly! Anyway, all Bubbas ain't bad!:D

Nancy Laird
05-22-2007, 1:08 PM
You know, Al, "they" eliminated discrimination based on age, sex, natural origin, sexual preference, and many other factors. Don't make me add geographic regional discrimination to that list. :D MOST Bubbas are pretty nice and friendly--I'll have to find my treatise about Northerners who move South and send it to you. It's funny, but it's an eye-opener for those who have never been there.;) :D

Nancy

Al Willits
05-22-2007, 1:45 PM
Ya know....hehe...I was a-ok with the south until while I was down there a few years ago, a guy named Bubba said to me...here hold my beer and watch this....

I ain't never recovered....:D :D

Al.....who really has met some nice people during the shooting matches he went to down south...but won't admit it...hehe

ps...just kidding btw....I don't know any Bubba's....:D

Belinda Barfield
05-22-2007, 2:07 PM
btw....I don't know any Bubba's....:D

Oh, but I bet you do! Y'all just don't call 'em Bubbas up theah in the Nawth!

Sorry for the temporary hijacking of the thread!:)

Michael Gibbons
05-22-2007, 7:33 PM
How about "Austins Woodworks" or "Narvon Woodworks"