PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what type of wood

Julie Wright
01-04-2004, 8:58 PM
THis is? I have been told it is not iron wood. It is very dense, had no decernable smell.

Doug Jones
01-04-2004, 9:02 PM
THis is? I have been told it is not iron wood. It is very dense, had no decernable smell.

just a guess but looks like a piece of rosewood I use to have??????

Dave Avery
01-04-2004, 9:03 PM
Julie,

The grain looks a lot like brazilian cherry (jatoba). I made a table a while back from this and it's the hardest wood I've ever worked with. Makes hard maple look absolutely soft. It's also extremely heavy. Dave.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-04-2004, 10:25 PM
I would have to agree with Dave on this one. It does indeed look like Jatoba. The open end grain rules out Rosewood, and I have some of this among my Exotics somewhere, although it does not contain the lighter colored sapwood like this sample. Although I have seen the sapwood in Jatoba, and is sure does look like that. Not positive, but pretty sure Dave is correct.

Steve Inniss
01-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Julie,

It does look like Jatoba.

I can concur that it certainly isn't ironwood. -Steve

Brad Hammond
01-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Julie,

It does look like Jatoba.

I can concur that it certainly isn't ironwood. -Steve

i vote for brazillian cherry as well.
i've worked with it a pretty good bit, but i've never gotten any with the sapwood like that.
the end grain is the kicker for me.

cya
brad

Mark Singer
01-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Julie,
It is hard to tell from the photo , but jatoba gets much reder if exposted to sun light. If it is very heavy my guess would be Pau Lope or Ipe which are more or less the same. I have used them and Jatoba and pau lope is more brown. The change in color also brings Gongalo Alves to mind which has a sheen to the surface...also very hard.
Mark