PDA

View Full Version : bies splitter on delta contractor saw?

RickT Harding
05-19-2007, 3:55 PM
I'm clueless here. I've purchase the bies splitter and I'm trying to figure out how to attach this thing. I have a pretty new (6 month old) delta 10" contractor saw. The instructions show a right-tilt machine and there's just not any way I can see that this can work, yet their site verifies this is the right part number.

Anyone figured out how you're supposed to hook this up? Can anyone that has one of these working share some pics for me?

Images of what I'm saying are here:
http://mitechie.com/uploads/images/bies_splitter_1.jpg
http://mitechie.com/uploads/images/bies_splitter_2.jpg
http://mitechie.com/uploads/images/bies_splitter_3.jpg

Thanks a ton for the help.

RickT Harding
05-19-2007, 4:03 PM
Ok, this sucks. I just tried to email the beis email with this issue and of course mail@biesmeyer.com bounces back with the following error.

User @PENTAIR (@PENTAIR@porter-cable.com) not listed in public Name & Address Book

Jason White
05-19-2007, 4:14 PM
Pentair used to own Porter-Cable/Delta. PC/Delta is now owned by Black & Decker.

Biesmeyer is owned by Delta (B&D), so I'd contact Delta directly.

JW

Ok, this sucks. I just tried to email the beis email with this issue and of course mail@biesmeyer.com bounces back with the following error.

Chuck Lenz
05-19-2007, 5:34 PM
Rick it looks to me ln the photos that there are two threaded holes in the cast trunnion bracket, they look like they are spaced the same verticly as your splitter bracket holes. My guess is it goes there.

RickT Harding
05-19-2007, 5:35 PM
Rick it looks to me ln the photos that there are two threaded holes in the cast trunnion bracket, they look like they are spaced the same verticly as your splitter bracket holes. My guess is it goes there.

That's what I figured, but I tried to show that in the photo #1 the holes are too far left. If I try to mount it there the bracket hits the top and the pull to release the splitter is actually under the left side of the table.

The holes ruler in photo 3 is a straight edge where the blade is so those two holes line up ok, but I can't seem to get the splitter in those holes any decent way.

Chuck Lenz
05-19-2007, 5:54 PM
Turn your splitter bracket 180 degrees to the right and line it up the holes in the splitter bracket with the threaded holes in the trunnion bracket. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/bies_splitter_2.jpg

Chuck Lenz
05-19-2007, 6:06 PM
Wait just a second here. You say the instructions are for a right tilt saw. Your saw tilts to the left, correct ?.

Jim DeLaney
05-19-2007, 8:37 PM
Your splitter is made for a RIGHT tilt saw. From the photos, yours is a LEFT tilt. You need a different bracket. The one for your saw is pretty much a mirror image of the one you've got. The splitter itself is the same; just the mounting bracket is different.

BTW, once you get it fitted and adjusted, you're really gonna like that splitter.

Jim Becker
05-19-2007, 8:46 PM
Biesemeyer snap-in splitters are saw-specific...you need to have the correct model for your machine. If, as Jim indicates, your saw is a left-tilt machine, a right-tilt splitter setup will not work. The system is also saw model specific.

RickT Harding
05-19-2007, 8:56 PM
Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was hoping someone else would say as everything seems right, just that mine is backwards. The part numbers don't list left/right tilt just Delta Contractor's saw. I'll call Delta MOnday I guess and see if they'll swap me parts or be able to tell me where I went wrong in ordering.

Thanks for verifying what I was thinking.

Jim DeLaney, I'm hoping this works out nice. I had to put the stock one back on today and then of course take it off again to use my sled and it's such a pain to do that. I can't wait to get this in and going.

RickT Harding
05-21-2007, 11:06 AM
So just to follow up.

I called biesmeyer and got voicemail. Being the impatient person I am I then called Delta and after a little hold time got a hold of someone. They first tried to tell me the only biesmeyer parts they had were 30 and 50" long. :confused:

After repeating "umm, not fences...splitters" a few times she went looking somewhere else and told me I needed the same part I ordered for the contractor saw. After I explained the whole right/left tilt she told me they had no information on left tilt contractor saws and I should call biesmeyer.

Anyway, after searching through comments in a few places I found people referencing using the splitter for the left tilt uni on a contractor's saw so I started the amazon return process and ordered the new left tilt uni kit.

Here's hoping this one works. :cool:

RickT Harding
05-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Follow up #2

Bies says they don't have a model that fits the left tilt contractor saws and that the one for the uni won't work.

Sooooo, crap.

Anyone have another suggestion?

Jim DeLaney
05-21-2007, 1:07 PM
Don't cancel that Amazon order yet! The left tilt Uni model may very well work.

Biese said it wouldn't work on my Shop Fox Left tilt saw, either, and it bolted right up - only thing I had to do was use metric bolts instead of the SAE ones in the kit.

Prior to that, I used the Delta removeable splitter on three different contractors saws. The Delta instructions even state it'll work on both the Uni and a contractors saw. (just the bolt sizes are different) So, applying the same (albeit questionable) logic, the Biese left tilt Uni model ought to have the same bolt pattern as the contractors saw.

Worth a try, anyhow...

Michael McCoy
05-21-2007, 1:10 PM
Follow up #2

Bies says they don't have a model that fits the left tilt contractor saws and that the one for the uni won't work.

Sooooo, crap.

Anyone have another suggestion?

I've been running a Bies splitter on my Delta left tilt for almost 5 years.

Chuck Lenz
05-21-2007, 1:38 PM
Fabricate your own ? Or keep the one you have and have a welding shop reverse it for you. Thats odd that Bies doesn't make one.

RickT Harding
05-21-2007, 2:22 PM
Ok, well I did go to cancel the amazon order for the left tilt, but it was too late. Soooo, when it gets here we'll see what happens. I have the UPS label to return the right-tilt, so that will go back.

So hopefully in a couple of days I'll be able to say for sure if that the left tilt uni model will work or not.

Thanks for the help!

RickT Harding
05-23-2007, 8:26 PM
The splitter came in today and it's a no go. It has a hole for a bolt to come in the back of the saw to the left of the main set of screw holes I have to mount to. So, I think I might check out a shark gaurd.