PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant to Use SketchUp? Don't Delay Any Longer!

Jeff Wright
05-19-2007, 3:40 PM
About a week ago I began to learn and use SketchUp, the free design software available as a download from Google. I couldn't resist posting an encouragement for those of you who have not tried SU to give it a try. There is a load of helpful resources - many of them free - online to help jumpstart your learning. Dave Richards has been a fantastic help with my beginner's questions. He most recently pointed me to a free plug-in that will provide a print-out cutlist (see photo below) of any parts within a drawing. Incredible stuff. I plan to use SU with some build-ins and our new kitchen. The cabinet shown below is a basic 12" wall cabinet with an ogee panel door. Once I made that, I need only alter its dimensions, say from the 12" width to an 18" wide cabinet, and print out its cutlist. Changing the size of the stock 12" cabinet only takes a few minutes.

So take it from a former pencil user . . . give SU a try soon! Spend some time in the Design forum on SMC if you haven't already.

P.S. Don't be misled by my enthusiam. It does take some patience and study to enjoy SU's power. But take advantage of those of us who are also learning this cool tool.

Jim Becker
05-19-2007, 8:51 PM
Totally agree...and I have the paid version with no regrets! (got it long before there was a free version...) SketchUp is a fabulous solution for making working drawings and, well...sketches... :D Like any drawing program, it has a few of its own idiosyncrasies, but you learn and learn quickly, IMHO, to deal with them.

mark page
05-19-2007, 9:24 PM
For the cutlist plug-in, do you have a url to the download?

John Schreiber
05-20-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm with Jeff and Jim above. SketchUp is a wonder and it's free. I've always been one to have an idea for something that I'm doodling during meetings or when waiting for dinner to come at a restaurant. Now I can make clear models of what I'm either thinking about or planning to build.

I found the CutList program at this link (http://forum.sketchup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182491&d=1168821600). Your model has to be designed a certain way for CutList to work just right, but can be very helpful.

Fred Linthicum
05-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Can anyone contrast these two programs--I'm just getting started in trying to computerize my designs and optimize materials. A quick look at both programs suggests SketchUp is stronger at the design phase and CutListPlus at the optimization phase, but I'm sure that's overly simplistic.

TIA for any words of wisdom,
Fred

Paul Snowden
05-21-2007, 1:04 AM
I spent a few hours today playing with the program and i'm starting to do a few things. It seems like it might take 4-5 hours of practice before you can actually start doing anything with it.

jon shocky
05-21-2007, 3:19 PM
$495 is about 10x I can afford for software program for woodworking. Is there a $50 software application out there for woodworker hobbiests?

Alex Berkovsky
05-21-2007, 3:40 PM
$495 is about 10x I can afford for software program for woodworking. Is there a $50 software application out there for woodworker hobbiests?Google offers a free version of Sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html).

Alex Berkovsky
05-21-2007, 3:45 PM
Does anyone remember seeing woodworking bonus pack (http://sketchup.google.com/bonuspacks.html) as "coming soon"? I no longer see it on the list. :(

jon shocky
05-21-2007, 4:22 PM
Google offers a free version of Sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html).

I see. When I read it, it said that you get 10hours of use before you have to buy it. Does it do joinery too?

Vijay Kumar
05-21-2007, 4:52 PM
Jeff I agree Sketchup is pretty good.

The one thing I have not figured out is how to change dimensions after you have designed the part. Specially if it is connected to other parts.
eg. say you have a block 1x2x12 connected to another block 1x4x14 rights angles to each other butted with the 1 inch thickness.

If now you want to change the 1x 2x 12 inch length to 1x2x20 inches, how do you do it and propagate the change on the entire assembly. I can see double clicking on the 12 and changing it to 20, but then how do you make sure that it sticks and the rest of the model changes. This is where I am getting stuck.

Vijay

Eric Lewis
05-21-2007, 5:03 PM
I recently downloaded a free version of Alibre's CAD software but haven't started using it yet. Should I forget about it and just download Sketchup? From the postings above that's the direction I'm leaning. Thanks.

Brad Tallis
05-21-2007, 5:53 PM
Hello All-

I am an avid woodworker and I also work for CoCreate software. We are currently offering our software for "free" right now (with some restrictions).

This is the same software that Festool uses to design their tools. Some of our other customers include HP, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.

The free version is fully functional 3D design software. However, you can only save 60 parts at one time (in one assembly). It is great for modeling project designs, etc. It also includes our 2D product to create annotations of the 3D models.

You can download the free version at: http://www.cocreate.com/ and click on the "Free Version" link at the lower left.

I model all of my projects in our product before I ever cut a piece of wood. I'll even "lay" the 3D models onto a 4x8 sized model to create a cut list diagram.

Hope you find this useful.

Brad

Jeff Wright
05-21-2007, 6:25 PM

The one thing I have not figured out is how to change dimensions after you have designed the part. Specially if it is connected to other parts.
eg. say you have a block 1x2x12 connected to another block 1x4x14 rights angles to each other butted with the 1 inch thickness.

If now you want to change the 1x 2x 12 inch length to 1x2x20 inches, how do you do it and propagate the change on the entire assembly. I can see double clicking on the 12 and changing it to 20, but then how do you make sure that it sticks and the rest of the model changes. This is where I am getting stuck.

Vijay

Keeping in mind I am only a user for a week or so, here is what I have found works well. As soon as I create a part, and before I allow it to be laid over another part and joined, I make it a COMPONENT by right clicking on the item and selecting COMPONENT. By doing that, two components will not merge unless you use the INTERSECT command. Now that it is a component, to lengthen a part, I click on its end to make it active and use the push/pull tool. If I have a number of component parts that I want to lengthen (say, like a table top and apron), I triple click the table, and then select one end of the table's top and apron by using my select tool and moving it left to right, then use the MOVE tool to stretch those parts to the length I need (to stretch it to the precise length, enter that additional length you want in the box in the lower right corner of the screen).

Dave Richards provides some excellent tutorials and answers to reader's questions on a 'competing forum' as well as some here. He does an outstanding job of helping others . . . I am not sure how long he can continue to do so as it does take some energy and time to reply to the many newbies like you and I. Also, spend some time on the Google site in their help section for SU. Watch them a few times if needed.

I am completing a 9 foot cabinet section for my home. I actually re-created my living room in SU and inserted the cabinets. The perspective has provided MANY helpful insights to what will look best.

I am not the brightest software user around, nor the dumbest, but truth be told, it does take patience, time, practice and the desire to learn SU to put it to its best uses. But its power is awesome.

jon shocky
05-21-2007, 7:09 PM
for that use any kitchen design software would do. I have done that many times to better see the scale of things before committing. But I was hoping for something that would help more with the design of a cabinet and even the joinery.

Dan Clark
05-21-2007, 7:34 PM
for that use any kitchen design software would do. I have done that many times to better see the scale of things before committing. But I was hoping for something that would help more with the design of a cabinet and even the joinery.

Sketchup Pro is $495 and has a free test version, but Google Sketchup is free. It has about 95% of the power of the Pro version but costs ZIP! Permanently. No time limit.

Since Sawmill Creek doesn't allow posting a link to the page, you'll just have to find it on the web.

Regarding using SU for woodworking, go to Gary Katz's site and look under Tips and Techniques -> Charts & Drawings -> Sketchup Tutorial: Drawing a Bookcase Using Groups & Components. It's a VERY good tutorial. (I can't post that link either.)

Regards,

Dan.

Another user mentioned Alibre. I looked at their website. It APPEARS that the "free" version is severely limited and only allows your models to have a small number of parts. To get a fully functional product costs something like $995. By comparison, SketchUp has NO limit on the number of parts your model can have.

Allen Bookout
05-21-2007, 8:22 PM
Can anyone contrast these two programs--I'm just getting started in trying to computerize my designs and optimize materials. A quick look at both programs suggests SketchUp is stronger at the design phase and CutListPlus at the optimization phase, but I'm sure that's overly simplistic.

Fred

I think that you are right on Fred. I tried SketchUp but it is going to take a long time to learn. Kind of reminds me of everyone thinking that they could be an expert at Photo Shop after seeing a pro use it. I don't think that it is that easy but if you spend the time to become proficient it would be a great tool. Right now I just need to cut and build.

I have used CutlistPlus, the free trial version, a couple of times this last week and was really impressed considering what it was designed to do. Fast and easy to learn and very easy to use. It is excellent at optimizing materials. I am going to purchase their Silver edition as it has already saved me a good deal on materials. If you do some projects for hire it also does a good job of adding in overhead, taxes, labor and profit for an estimate. However you are correct in assuming that it is not a design tool.

Vijay Kumar
05-21-2007, 8:25 PM
Jeff,

Thanks I will try that.

Vijay

Brice Burrell
05-21-2007, 8:38 PM
I agree with Dan, go to Gary Katz site, it is a great video "how to".

Hans Braul
05-21-2007, 9:42 PM
Well after all this I guess I'll have to try again. Some months ago I made a couple of attempts to get something useful out of it, and gave up in frustration. Still, there are so many who say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread (I never did really like pre-sliced bread, but that's another story), I figure it must be just a matter of sticking with it and making it work. I spend my day on a computer and have designed houses in Punch architectural software, so I do have lots of computer skills. It's just this program seemed so anti-intuitive to me. So... one more try.

Regards
Hans

Jeff Wright
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Fred

I expect I will use SU to design the piece and, using the cutlist plug-in that is available also at no charge, print out a list of components and their dimensions, then enter that into Cutlist Plus for optimization.

jon shocky
05-22-2007, 4:42 PM
Sketchup Pro is $495 and has a free test version, but Google Sketchup is free. It has about 95% of the power of the Pro version but costs ZIP! Permanently. No time limit.

Since Sawmill Creek doesn't allow posting a link to the page, you'll just have to find it on the web.

Regarding using SU for woodworking, go to Gary Katz's site and look under Tips and Techniques -> Charts & Drawings -> Sketchup Tutorial: Drawing a Bookcase Using Groups & Components. It's a VERY good tutorial. (I can't post that link either.)

Regards,

Dan.

Another user mentioned Alibre. I looked at their website. It APPEARS that the "free" version is severely limited and only allows your models to have a small number of parts. To get a fully functional product costs something like $995. By comparison, SketchUp has NO limit on the number of parts your model can have.
ok. thanks. Ill give it try on my laundry room cabinet build that Im about to start.

Vijay Kumar
05-23-2007, 12:05 AM
I agree with Dan, go to Gary Katz site, it is a great video "how to".

I agree Gary Katz has done a great job. Specifically my question got answered. Highly recommend his site.

Vijay.

Jeff Wright
05-23-2007, 8:01 AM
I agree Gary Katz has done a great job. Specifically my question got answered. Highly recommend his site.

Vijay.

Also visit Fine Woodworking's website to view the numerous tutorial videos in their blog site devoted to SU. There are three contributors to that blog, all great at using the software. I don't remember whether you must be a paying ($14 per year) member to access this part of the website. But if you are not a member, you should be! They have great stuff on their site.

Also view the MANY clips on the Google SketchUp site. I have marked them as FAVORITES so I can easily return to them for review.

Old Proverb: I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I DO, I understand. SU is no different . . . you have to use it to really know its ways.

Greg Sznajdruk
05-23-2007, 3:13 PM
Bear with me, is there a way to move Sketchup files to Cultist? Or did I misunderstand. I went to the file where I thought this program was available, the extent is "rb" which my system does not recognize and will not open.

Thanks

Greg

John Hain
05-23-2007, 3:40 PM
Don't know if anyone here has mentioned it yet, but as of today, I'm pretty sure Sketch-Up is NOT compatible with Windows Vista.

One more reason not to upgrade to Vista.

Dan Gill
05-23-2007, 4:22 PM
I spend my day on a computer and have designed houses in Punch architectural software, so I do have lots of computer skills. It's just this program seemed so anti-intuitive to me.

Hans nailed it for me, too. I have worked with many drawing packages, even to the extent of making my living for a time as a computer graphic artist (I was no great shakes at it--it was mostly shapes, arrows, and text). But SU had me intensely frustrated very quickly. My boss is the same way, and you won't find a more computer-savvy person. Strange . . .

Lance Sones
05-23-2007, 7:01 PM
Here's another free one (it's 2d) but looks good and no limitations:

SolidEdge

http://www.ugs.com/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/

Jeff Wright
05-23-2007, 7:26 PM
Bear with me, is there a way to move Sketchup files to Cultist? Or did I misunderstand. I went to the file where I thought this program was available, the extent is "rb" which my system does not recognize and will not open.

Thanks

Greg

You can install a plug-in that will instantly create a spreadsheet-like list of all your parts in a design showing their component names (that you can create or just use the default names), dimensions and part number. Then, IF you have the Gold Version of CutlistPlus, I understand you can import that spreadsheet file, saving you the trouble of hand keying the parts list into Cutlist. I only just today got the gold version of CutlistPlus ($249 versus $89 for the silver version). I liked the additional features in the gold version and was willing to step up the the higher price.

Even without the gold version, once you have the plug-in installed in SU, it isn't too burdensome to hand enter the component parts in the less expensive Cutlist program.

Let me know if you need the source for the cutlist plugin for SU.

P.S. As a new user of each of the above programs, I may not be entirely correct about their capabilities. If anyone knows better, please chime it.

Edit: I just noticed that the $89 version allows you to import and export files. I'm not sure what kind, but I would assume it would at least include Excel formatted files which is what is created when the plugin is used in SketchUp. So looks like you wouldn't have to step up to the more expensive version. But you may want to confirm with CutlistPlus prior to ordering.

Jay Keller
05-23-2007, 7:45 PM
Id like to know how to get a cutlist out of Sketchup if your could tell me.
I didnt see any commands that do that.

Also, can you print a drawing with the dimensions? So I could take into the shop to help build a project. Seems awkward to do all the work to get a view then have to go back and hand print the dimensions on a copy.

How would sketchup work a rail and stile door. Where the rails in the cut list should actually be bigger then shown in the drawing by the length of the tongue?

Brent Dowell
05-23-2007, 9:57 PM
Ok, I'll give it another try. Any tips for shifting my paradigm from Visio to SU?

I'll admin I find Visio very quick and easy to do, and the simple things I try to do there I'm finding very frustrating to do in SU. I've gone through a few tutorials and I get how cool it is to make 3d things by pushing and pulling. I don't have any problem with that, what I really need to understand is how to correctly dimension things, or change the dimensions after I create them.

I'm sure it must be easy, once you figure it out! :confused:

Jeff Wright
05-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Ok, I'll give it another try. Any tips for shifting my paradigm from Visio to SU?

I'll admin I find Visio very quick and easy to do, and the simple things I try to do there I'm finding very frustrating to do in SU. I've gone through a few tutorials and I get how cool it is to make 3d things by pushing and pulling. I don't have any problem with that, what I really need to understand is how to correctly dimension things, or change the dimensions after I create them.

Here's what I find works well for me: Once you have created an element, right click it and change it into a component. Once it is a component, click on it to select it. Let's assume your element is a rectangle and it is on your screen with its long axis running left to right and let's say you want to lengthen the rectangle. Carefully move your selection arrow over the right hand side of the rectangle so as to select only the right end of the rectangle. You will notice that that end will now be selected, indicated by the yellowish highlight color on the end of the rectangle. Now take your MOVE tool (NOT the push-pull tool!!) and carefully touch that selected end of your rectangle and lengthen the rectangle by moving the move tool whichever direction you want to either lengthen or shorten the rectangle. The same technique will work for an object that is a collection of many components, like a table with four legs.

Also visit: http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=8789

Also spend a couple of minutes watching this: http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=855969571 (http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=855969571)

This last website was down for some servicing at 11:20 tonight, so you may have to go back when they are up, but it's worth the trouble.

Jeff Wright
05-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Id like to know how to get a cutlist out of Sketchup if your could tell me.
I didnt see any commands that do that.

Send me a Private email with your email address and I will send the cutlist plugin file to you.

Also, can you print a drawing with the dimensions? So I could take into the shop to help build a project. Seems awkward to do all the work to get a view then have to go back and hand print the dimensions on a copy.

Yes you can. See my original post at the beginning of this thread to see an example where I attached only a few dimensions on a cabinet. I used the DIMENSION tool found in the tool bar.

How would sketchup work a rail and stile door. Where the rails in the cut list should actually be bigger then shown in the drawing by the length of the tongue?

The plugin for the cutlist capability 'senses' the overall length including the tongue.

See my replies in red above.

tim rowledge
05-24-2007, 1:14 AM
Here's another free one (it's 2d) but looks good and no limitations:

SolidEdge

http://www.ugs.com/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/

How sad; another Windows only program. There really hasn't been any excuse for that in decades.

Brent Dowell
05-24-2007, 2:04 AM
Okay, So I decided to give it a shot. Thanks for the tips on using 'components'. After about 3 hours I think I'm getting the hang of it and created a very, very, simple 3d drawing.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.loneunknown.com/images/dogdishholder.jpg

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 9:40 AM
Okay, So I decided to give it a shot. Thanks for the tips on using 'components'. After about 3 hours I think I'm getting the hang of it and created a very, very, simple 3d drawing.

Thanks for the help!

Great Brent! I estimate I have put over 50 hours in it over the last week to ten days and feel I have much more to learn. That's why elsewhere I expressed my belief that, like most really useful programs, it takes a lot of patience, time, trial & error, and reaching out to others for help to gain a useful amount of proficiency. But I still feel the results are worth it.

Jay Keller
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
See my replies in red above.]

I see your drawing now. So you manually add each dimension....thats easy enough.
The joinery picture is great!. How do you add joinery profiles like in your drawing? I do a lot of rail and stile and also raised panel profiles. So that would be helpful to get the dimensions on the cutlist correct.

Greg Sznajdruk
05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Jeff:

The file that I down loaded has an "rb " extent which is not recognized. No where in SU can I find anything about plug-ins. There is supposed to be a profile or something to get the plug-in but where this is a mystery to me. If you can help point me in the right directions I'd appreciate your efforts.

Thanks
Greg

Vijay Kumar
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I got these instructions from Jeff and they do work.

Put this file in your SketchUp program folder in the PlugIn folder. It should be on your C: drive under PROGRAM FILES > GOOGLE > SKETCHUP > PLUGINS. Once the plugin is placed there, open SketchUp and you should see a drop down menu of PLUGINS showing. In that you should see the cutlist command. First select your design object, and then click on this command. It will pop up a notice saying where it placed the generated cutlist. You should find that new file which will be in an Excel type file.

End Quote

Enjoy!

Vijay

Greg Sznajdruk
05-24-2007, 1:22 PM
Vijay:

Thanks I've got the Plug-ins. But now when I try to import the file to Cutlist the Import Column is set to "Skip " for all the fields. When I look at the file in Excel it is all there? Any ideas? Do you have to create the drawing in some special way in SU?

Thanks

Greg

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 1:46 PM
Vijay:

Thanks I've got the Plug-ins. But now when I try to import the file to Cutlist the Import Column is set to "Skip " for all the fields. When I look at the file in Excel it is all there? Any ideas? Do you have to create the drawing in some special way in SU?

Thanks

Greg

Greg, I assume you are trying to import the EXCEL file that the SketchUP plugin generated INTO the Cutlist Plus program. If I am correct, I haven't yet attempted to do that, but may have a chance later today. If so, I will post my results here.

For those reading this, we are talking about four distinct files/programs: 1] SketchUp, 2] the cutlist plugin that must be installed into SketchUp (and has no connection with the Cutlist Plus software program available separately), 3] Cutlist Plus, and 4]Microsoft's Excel functionality.

The free downloadable cutlist plugin must be put in the PLUGIN folder in the SketchUp program (which you will find in your PROGRAM FILE directory . . . look for the GOOGLE folder in which will be the SketchUp folder within which will be the PLUGIN folder). You need only place the plugin file in that folder . . . you don't open that file, just leave it there. It will appear when you go back to SketchUp and drop down the PlugIn menu there.

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 1:49 PM
Monitor,

My original intent in posting this thread in the General Area was to attract attention to SketchUp of those who don't normally muck around in the Design forum. Might it be time to move this thread over to the Design Forum so as not to offend readers of the General forum? Just a thought.

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 4:56 PM
I created a tutorial with photos how I import cutlist SU files into CutList Plus. It is posted in the Design Forum section at:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58571

Jay Keller
05-24-2007, 5:40 PM
where does one get the plug in for cutlist to use so sketchup will create a list of dimensioned material?
thanks

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 5:49 PM
where does one get the plug in for cutlist to use so sketchup will create a list of dimensioned material?
thanks

Try here:

http://forum.sketchup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=184433&d=1172436740

Allen Bookout
05-24-2007, 6:57 PM
I am following this thread with a great deal of interest. I noticed it because it was in the General Woodworking Forum. I rarely go to the design Forum so I would have missed it had it been put there. I would hate to see it moved as I think that it draws more attention here, especially from non design type woodworkers who might benefit from the program. I was one of those that had decided to forget the whole thing but this has made me think that I might try again.

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 7:41 PM
I am following this thread with a great deal of interest. I noticed it because it was in the General Woodworking Forum. I rarely go to the design Forum so I would have missed it had it been put there. I would hate to see it moved as I think that it draws more attention here, especially from non design type woodworkers who might benefit from the program. I was one of those that had decided to forget the whole thing but this has made me think that I might try again.

Allen, I'm glad this post has been helpful.

I'm willing to bet that there are many folks lurking posts like this and hesitant to post a message for fear of asking something foolish. With respect to computers and software there are no foolish questions. We all started at ground zero knowing nothing about such things. One of the reasons I elected to volunteer my software training services in my old job was the frustration I felt and saw in others when a so-called computer expert stood in front of the room and raced through his training while most in the room didn't have a clue. It gave me great pleasure to train at a pace that was as slow as the slowest student and to encourage students to help teach the slower students. You never learn something as well as you do when you have to teach it!

Paul Douglass
05-24-2007, 8:12 PM
And why should this thread "offend" anyone. It's very useful to those interested and those that are not, don't have to read it. Glad it is in this forum or I would have missed it.

Jeff Wright
05-24-2007, 9:10 PM
And why should this thread "offend" anyone. It's very useful to those interested and those that are not, don't have to read it. Glad it is in this forum or I would have missed it.

Paul . . . my point was only that I did not want to disrupt the categorization efforts of the SMC forum overseers. In the future, if someone is searching for help on SU, they would be inclined to search the Design forum for such matters. Most forum users are no doubt unaware of the ability to search the entire SMC forum using the Search feature on the main menu bar above.

Glad you are benefitting from the post! :)

Brent Dowell
05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Just to echo some of the other responses...

I had totally given up on SU, because I couldn't figure out how to put things where I wanted. Just a case pf a 2d brain in a 3d piece of software.

Thanks to the encouragement from Jeff, I managed to get myself in deep trouble with my work commitments and spent a couple of hours going through the tutorials and trying to create something really simple with some really basic joinery.

From that little exercise, I feel much more confident in the software and am planning on using it to create some significantly more ambitious projects.

I just want to thank Jeff for giving me a small push in the right direction...

Todd Jensen
05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Jeff, I want to also say thanks for this thread - I didn't even know sketchup existed before this. I downloaded it, got frustrated, came back and re-read the thread, and started at the 'beginning' at the Gary Katz tutorial. While it is still going to take some time to be proficient, the video is a tremendous jump-start. For all of it being free, I'm very impressed and looking forward to completing my first 'sketchup'.
Thanks again!

Jeff Wright
05-25-2007, 9:43 AM
Brent and Todd,

Thanks for your 'thanks!' Congratulations on breaking through the initial stages of frustration learning the program. I started with simple projects and made notes of where I got stuck. Then I had a list of specific questions to ask others with more experience. That same list is serving as my own personal how-to notebook . . . and it keeps growing as I learn more and more about SU.

For woodworkers, a combination of SU with the cutlist plugin together with one of the Cutlist Plus programs offers a pretty powerful combination of tools for designing and helping to insure better work. I can especially see them being a necessity if you're putting out work for pay. One poster stated that he won every bid he put out based, in his opinion, on having used SU to create a plan to show to his prospects. Knowing this technology puts a lot of pressure on the guys NOT using it if they are doing it for income. I figure once I have created a bunch of objects, I'll then have an inventory of drawings that can be 'pulled out' and easily and quickly modified for other jobs.

When you have a moment, view this clip on using the mirroring technique. You will use it many many times in your designs:

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=855969571

The tutorial above was created by Dave Richards, someone who has been a tremendous help to me in learning SU.

Good luck!

Steve Sawyer
05-25-2007, 9:51 AM
I've found that the more "computer-savvy" you are, particularly with graphic software like CAD and vector drawing programs, the more difficult the learning curve on Sketchup.

I spent a few hours with it, gave up, then went back to it a few months later, and tried to approach it on it's own terms and without assuming that it worked anything like any other piece of graphics software I'd used.

Now, you can get it away from me only by prying it from my cold, dead fingers.

I love it.

I've designed all kinds of stuff - furniture, shop fixtures and shop storage, a complex toolrest for a hand grinder, a home-made air cleaner and I'm currently designing a new workbench, right down to the complex joinery for the tail vise.

Jeff Wright
05-25-2007, 9:52 AM

Brent, if you haven't solved your dimensioning issues, watch this video for some more help on resizing:

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=855969972&channel=769447189&lineup=-1

Brent Dowell
05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I think one of the biggest problems I had was figuring out how to accurately position an item in 3d space. Once I found that if you use the move tool, and in the vcd just typing [x,y,z], that helped a lot.

Watching those videos are great. Makes me realize just how powerful this can be...

Jay Keller
05-25-2007, 11:32 AM
how do you install the cutlist plugin?

Todd Jensen
05-25-2007, 12:01 PM
One more question, Jeff - does SU support or offer any stair plugins? This is where it would provide great value to my business. Thanks for any info -

Todd

Jeff Wright
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
One more question, Jeff - does SU support or offer any stair plugins? This is where it would provide great value to my business. Thanks for any info -

Todd

Todd . . . let me make your day! While rummaging around SU support sites just this morning I found an architectural website devoted to plugins for that discipline. Take a look:

http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/en_arc_page.htm

Jeff Wright
05-25-2007, 12:27 PM
how do you install the cutlist plugin?

I have had success placing the plugin file in the following:

C: > PROGRAM FILES > GOOGLE > SKETCHUP > PLUGINS

where each of the above represents a folder within the folder. A fast way to see the C: drive is to hit the WINDOWS key (also called the START key, the one with the Microsoft symbol on it down in the lower left part of the keyboard). Expand the C: prompt to see all the folders inside such as the PROGRAMS FILE folder. [Sorry if this is not new to you . . . it could be to others viewing this post]

Once you place the plugin there, reopen SU (its good to close that program and reopen it) and look in the SU MENU dropdown list for PLUGINS and you should see the Cutlist feature there. If so, first select your drawn object (otherwise the cutlist plugin doesn't know what to act on) and click on the plugin link in the drop down menu. You should get a pop-up message telling you where the file is going to be sent so you know where to go get it and view it.

BTW, I have found that if I make my part description names in the plugin too long, the report will push part of that long name over into one of the dimension columns. Anyone else experiencing that?

Edit: I think I discovered why the part name was getting split and part of it pushed over to one of the dimension columns. I was using commas in some of my names, e.g., FRONT; FACE FRAME;STILE, LEFT; Seems putting that comma after STILE pushed the word LEFT over to the right one column. Now I know why: the file is what's called comma separated values (i.e., .CSV) and having a comma is telling the file to move the next item over one column.

Todd Jensen
05-25-2007, 2:20 PM
Hi Jeff, one more question - I'm wondering if you are aware of any stair plug-ins for SU? Thanks for any info -

Jay Keller
05-25-2007, 3:32 PM
Thanks Jeff. That was too easy. With all the demos, I should be able to do what I need in no time. I wonder how many fewer cut mistakes ill make with this good planning? I expect Ill find a way to keep up the mistake quota...well.....I call them character adders.

ryan smythe
05-25-2007, 4:00 PM
here is another site for su tutorials.
http://www.go-2-school.com/podcasts
go down the page and there is one for woodworking.

John Schreiber
05-25-2007, 5:25 PM
Don't know if anyone here has mentioned it yet, but as of today, I'm pretty sure Sketch-Up is NOT compatible with Windows Vista.
I wouldn't have gone with Vista except that I needed to purchase a new laptop. I installed Sketch-up for XP and it seems to work just fine.

Jeff Wright
05-25-2007, 10:40 PM
here is another site for su tutorials.
http://www.go-2-school.com/podcasts
go down the page and there is one for woodworking.

Ryan, are these podcasts for a Mac computer only? I can't seem to download any of them successfully. COuld the site be having problems or is it on my end?

Allen Bookout
05-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Jeff, I did not check on my XP machine but I just gave it a shot with Mandriva Linux and it works fine. The only thing is that it shows buffering until the whole thing is downloaded instead of starting to show the video after about eighteen percent as it normally does.

Edit: More information. I tried with XP and the latest IE and could not get it to work. Then I tried using XP with FireFox and got audio only as it tried to use Quicktime. I guess that it could be made to work if a person wanted to spend the time and effort. Then again, maybe not.

Matt Meiser
06-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I finally got a chance to download the cutlist program an tried it. Wow! I just created a simple 4-sided box in Sketchup and ran the exporter. I then spent about 2 minutes cleaning it up in Excel to add a "copies" column and combine duplicate parts into one row and remove the extra stuff I didn't need from the bottom. Finally I loaded it into Cutlist Plus using the Import function from the file menu (BTW, make sure you close Excel first, otherwise you'll get an unexplained error.) All I had to do in Cutlist Plus was assign a Material Name, which could have been done in Excel, and I had my sheet layouts. Other than creating the drawing, I spent more time writing this down than actually doing it. Can't wait to try it out with my cabinet project files which are on my laptop upstairs which is turned off.

Doug Shepard
09-16-2007, 7:43 AM
Try here:

http://forum.sketchup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=184433&d=1172436740

This thread is a few months old, so maybe this has been answered on another thread, but that link to the cutlist plug-in no longer works. Is this the same cutlist plug-in that appears listed on this link? http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/en_arc_page.htm

I'm betting there are oodles of different "cutlist.rb" scripts out there all written by various people. Just trying to locate the right one.

Mike Heidrick
09-16-2007, 8:42 AM
Thanks for reviving this thread. I had missed it before.

I am looking for easy ways to model cyclone DC ductwork myself.

Jeff Wright
09-16-2007, 9:15 AM
This thread is a few months old, so maybe this has been answered on another thread, but that link to the cutlist plug-in no longer works. Is this the same cutlist plug-in that appears listed on this link? http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/en_arc_page.htm

I'm betting there are oodles of different "cutlist.rb" scripts out there all written by various people. Just trying to locate the right one.

For some background reading on some revisions read:

http://groups.google.com/group/Ruby-API/browse_thread/thread/41990420606da989/f89ac6516b5ce89c

The latest revision (as of 9/14/07) can be found in a link at the bottom of that thread.

Doug Shepard
09-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Cool. Thanks for the link. Lots of interesting info there as well.

John Schreiber
09-17-2007, 9:34 AM

I've been using the "CutlistAndMaterials" plugin from that source and it's working fine.

I'm also using it for a new purpose. I find in SU, that it's easy to adjust things a little here and a little there, and all of a sudden I've specified a thickness of 1.0934758 inches or some such oddness. If I run cutlist, I can see if all the dimensions are even 1/8ths or if I need to adjust something.

Brent Powers
09-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Vijay

If I understand your situation, (and I'm far from a sup expert)...

Make a copy of the component (the 12" 1x2).
'Explode' the copy
Make your alterations
Create a component out of the newly altered piece, and give it the same name as the original component.
SUP will ask if you're sure that you want to replace the old components with the new. Say Yes.
Delete the modified component.

That's all easier than it sounds.