PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! I need to find a 36" x 24" wood plaque (maple or Alderwood preffered)

Sylvia Feller-Dow
05-19-2007, 3:17 PM
Hello everyone.
This is my first posting on Sawmill Creek. It is a little nerve wrecking to me. Anyway, I'll get over that soon due to being desperate because I can not find a nice piece of wood that measures 36" x 24" and perhaps 0.75" to 1" thick. It will be a hanging piece for a corporate office. I do laser engraving and this piece is for a very faithful customer. Everything is ready for the layout but no wood. I went to Home Depot, Lowe's, checked online to no avail. I am starting to panic here. Where do I find a nice wood blank like that? routerd edges would be great!
Help please!
Sylvia Dow
www.dragonflylaser.com (http://www.dragonflylaser.com)

Joe Pelonio
05-19-2007, 3:40 PM
Most wood that large is going to be a veneer plywood or will have to be glued up and finished. I'd look for a custom cabinet or furniture maker in your area and see what they can come up with for you. I know I've seen 3/4" thick birch, ash, Oak, and maple solid core veneer at hardwood stores in 4'x8' sheets, but that would have to be cut, routed and finished for you to use it.

As an example here's a place I use at times in Seattle:

http://www.emersonhardwood.com/cchw/product.asp?cID=7166465456473

Larry Bratton
05-19-2007, 5:20 PM
Sylvia:
You might contact Laserbits. They sell a Laser Wood laminate that is 12 x 24. This is more than likely cut out of larger sheets to fit the lasers.They also sell Alder and the same thing happens with that would be my guess.They might could get you a piece that size from their source. It comes in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness. If you could get it and then go to Home Depot and let them sell you a piece of MDF of the thickness you want ( I think they would cut it to size). Purchase some adhesive, I use 3m Super 77 and bond it to your MDF. Put a frame around it and you could end up with a pretty piece.

I trust you have a laser with a bed that big.

Nancy Laird
05-19-2007, 7:42 PM
Sylvia, PM sent.

Nancy

Mike Null
05-20-2007, 8:59 AM
I would have it glued up by a wood working or cabinet shop. it's not unlike gluing up a table top. I would not use plywood as I believe it cheapens the product.

Richard Rumancik
05-20-2007, 9:41 AM
Sylvia

The cabinet shop is the best bet. Take a look at the cabinet doors they make. They will probably have some options as to the contour of the edges. Your could "frame" it like a cabinet door, or just use the wood itself and route edges. However, be aware that they will have to glue narrow strips of wood together for this. They probably will use 4" wide or 6" wide max. or else it will warp. You probably want to tell them that you need "clear" material (no knots) and good color and grain match between the strips. Make a sketch/drawing showing all info including the grain direction so there is no misunderstanding. I have not had problems engraving through wood joints but it could cause problems if the laser won't cut the glue well. A standard wood glue should be okay.

If your budget does not permit solid wood then plywood is a possibility. On doors, they usually use thinner plywood but you could use 3/4" if you want. You would then have to frame it or otherwise glue mitered strips all around to frame it. In this case, you would get away from having glue joints on the engraving face as the surface would be plywood veneer.

If using plywood, get some scraps to test the power level. If you give it a lot of power you will cut down to the first veneer bond. This might look good but it depends on what you are engraving on it. If there are large open areas (recesses) it won't look so good.

As usual the piece needs to be stained and finished before engraving to avoid smoke damage.

Clyde Baumwell
05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
hi

I needed a 36 x 48 wood plaque - for a client - who needed a special color wood plus a custom glass tile to mount on the wood plaque. It came out great but I needed to hire local craftsman to make it all happen.

Mark Plotkin
05-20-2007, 9:10 PM
Al at www.smoke-wood.com made some custom 12 x 24 inch plaques for me, I engraved them for our local school. They were glue-ups but worked out very nice. He does different edge treatments and they come with a clear laquer finish.

good luck.

Larry Bratton
05-21-2007, 9:09 PM
Thanks for posting that mark. Looks like a good source for a couple of things.

Jody Malinich
05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Sylvia,

Did you find a plaque? If not let me know as I can do one up tomorrow for you.

Jody