View Full Version : Grizzly Router table

Joseph Cascio
05-19-2007, 2:19 PM
Anyone have one of these???

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0528/images

Roy Hill
05-19-2007, 6:28 PM
Joseph,

I don't have one but I have been thinking about buying one. I would also like to hear from someone who has one and let us know of pros or cons.

Roy

Phil Pritchard
05-19-2007, 6:38 PM
Cons: The fences are a pig to adjust and never stay parallel, it can be awkward to mount a plunge router such as the Bosch underneath, the hold-down on the table flexes the crosscut fence far too easily (which leads to inaccurate tenons), the aluminium extruded sliding table has loads of sharp edges and the table tilt mechanism struts are made from very soft metal.

Pros: Good size stable cast-iron top

Ryobi and Record Power sell exactly the same model in several other markets

Phil

Roy Hill
05-19-2007, 9:08 PM
Thanks Phil,

I may go in a different direction on that one.

Roy

glenn bradley
05-20-2007, 12:33 AM
As do MLCS and of course, Shop Fox.

Brad Naylor
05-20-2007, 1:27 AM
I have the Ryobi version of this table and it's been retired to the attic.

The cast-iron table sold it to me, but apart from that it's a piece of junk. The hold down bolts on the fence broke within days, the split fence arrangement makes setting it up accurately a nightmare, and the front-to-back adjustment available on the fence is tiny. I have frequently had to resort to removing the fence altogether and clamping a 3x2 down instead to give me the necessary depth.

As Phil says, the sliding table has nasty sharp edges on it, and the support for the table when you lift it up is so flimsy that it is only a matter of time before that slab of cast-iron comes crashing down, removing your fingers in a scissor action!

Finally, no matter how well or how often you tighten the bolts on the stand, it always becomes wobbly in use. I guess you could weld it up, but that's hardly the point! The iron top is just too heavy for that design of open stand.

Spend your money on a router lift and phenolic top from Jessum or equivalent and make your own table a la Norm.

Cheers
Brad

Nate Rogers
05-20-2007, 6:50 AM
Joseph,
I looked at buying one of these, I was intriqued by the sliding table portion of this. But I did not get it the table, and would agree with the other Gentlemen, it is nothing special..You can definately build a better one for the same money.

Nate

Don Selke
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi Joseph:

Personally, I would take the time and build my own router table with drawers and lots of storage. I built my own version of Norms for a nominal amount of money and am very happy with it in the shop. I have both a shaper and a router table. The router table does about 70% of my profile work and I use the shaper for raised panels and large profile work. The biggest expense (if you have a 3HP router in your collection) will be a good router lift. If you do not have a 3HP router, I would purchase that first, build the table then at a later date add your router lift. You can custom build your table to fit your needs. There are a lot of designs out there for you to use. After all, we are woodworkers so why not build your own.

Joseph Cascio
05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info... I was also looking at the RT1000.. www.rt1000.com (http://www.rt1000.com) it is a copy of Norms . I am just afraid of the top getting warped with the change in temp in my shed... J