PDA

View Full Version : Fellow woodworker has left us....

John Miliunas
05-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I apologize for posting on multiple forums but, I felt it necessary. Individual forum moderators are welcome to delete if they feel the need. It WILL stay on the Turners' Forum regardless.

This is, without a doubt, the most difficult thread I've posted in all my years on the Internet. As some of you know, Dale Thompson (Pesh) has been a long standing member of this community but, most recently, has been battling cancer. I just received a phone call from his daughter, Stacey. Long story short, they don't expect our buddy to make it a week. He's comfortable and at home but, his body is no longer able to process oxygen properly nor clean up the CO2 in his body. Stacey assured me that Pesh has made peace with himself, his family and his Lord and is ready for the next leg of his journey.

Stacey did have a special request, though. She is looking to see if there's any appropriate poem or prayer for a Woodworker, which may relate a connection between The Number 1 carpenter and those who have followed in this craft. If any of you folks know of such a verse, please, forward it on to me and I will be sure to get it to Stacey, as she really would like this on the front page of the church program.

I just don't know what else to say, plus it's just too hard to see the monitor through the tears. Pesh, you will be missed. But, your humor, your completed projects, all the good which you've done for so many and your words of wisdom will carry on into Eternity. The good Lord will now be taking care of you. You will never be forgotten. Be at peace, my friend. Be at peace.

Cody Colston
05-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks for posting this, John. I've greatly enjoyed Dale's humor since I've been coming to SMC and his projects, too. He's a fine woodworker and obviously enjoyed life. I, too, will miss him.

Bob Marino
05-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Heartbreaking news. Truly heartbreaking. My condolences to Dale's family. He will be missed.

Bob

Jim O'Dell
05-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I too have enjoyed Dale's humor and projects. Many of the newer Creekers have missed something special. But many of us have the memories. GOD SPEED, Dale! Jim.

Karl Laustrup
05-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I am so saddened to read this post. I am at a loss for words.

I do know that I am a better person for having met Pesh in person, a little over a year ago in LaCrosse. His humor and stories will be truly missed here on the "Creek". I already feel a void and my heart is heavy.

For those of you that are newer to the "Creek", do your selves a favor and go to the "Members List" and pull up Dale Thompson's name and read his posts. You won't be disappointed and you'll understand what a great person he is.

Pesh, you will always be remembered by this wood hacker.

Karl, aka "Dells"

Dan Stuewe
05-19-2007, 1:00 PM
Add my condolences. It is very heartening to hear that I will get to meet him someday!

Dale's were the posts I most often read to my wife. His perspective on things is priceless.

"Michael Hinkel"
05-19-2007, 1:36 PM
My condolences.

Here is a link to a prayer

http://home.comcast.net/~strathamwood/images/a_woodworkers_prayer.htm (http://home.comcast.net/%7Estrathamwood/images/a_woodworkers_prayer.htm)

Mike Cutler
05-19-2007, 2:07 PM
I don't know what to say. The teacher will be missed.
Godspeed Dale. See ya' again someday brother.

Mike

Joe Mioux
05-19-2007, 2:14 PM
John, thank you for the update.

Like someone else mentioned, you newer Creekers truly missed a Gem with Dale Thompson.

His wit and way with words were unique and always a joy to read.

I especially enjoyed and often giggled uncontrollably whenever Dale (Pesh)and John (Spring) bantered back and forth.

Dale is a dear friend to the Creek and he will be sadly missed.

My Condolenceses to the Thompson Family.

Joe

Tyler Howell
05-19-2007, 2:54 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36992&thumb=1&d=1145677184 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36992&d=1145677184)
I'm honered to have known you and a better person for it.
Thanks Pesh

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2007, 3:38 PM
Dale's wit and intelligence will be missed! I loved teasing him about his "whining" when he so often built projects for his daughter (of whom he was so proud) and her family. My sincere sympathy to Dale's family and friends........And yes.....there will be a little less laughter in the bubbly 'Creek.....

Richard Wolf
05-19-2007, 4:52 PM
Always heart breaking to lose a friend.

Richard

John Shuk
05-19-2007, 4:57 PM
God bless you Dale.

Bob Michaels
05-19-2007, 8:08 PM
Really sad. I too enjoyed Dale's posts. He'll be missed. Boy, ya just gotta live every day to the fullest.

Andy Hoyt
05-19-2007, 8:31 PM
For those that never had the pleasure of knowing Pesh, permit me to suggest some reading material (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35196) for you.

It's locked only to preserve it as the classic time capsule that it is.

John Miliunas
05-19-2007, 8:49 PM
For those that never had the pleasure of knowing Pesh, permit me to suggest some reading material (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35196) for you.

It's locked only to preserve it as the classic time capsule that it is.

Thanks Andy. Truly a good way to remember Pesh. For those who had not had the privilege of meeting, speaking or even reading Dale's comments, let me assure you that his wit and ability to bring a smile to one's face was genuine. He most often did so at his own expense, mainly making fun of himself. I last spoke to him by phone a few weeks ago and even then, weak from the illness and procedures, he still managed to make me smile. He's going to be a tough act to follow but, I'm going to give it my best shot. If we ALL try to follow his example, this might just be a bit brighter world for all of us to live in.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2007, 8:56 PM
Thanks Andy for posting the link to that thread! I reread it and laughed until I cried.........Dale and his wit will be greatly missed!

sascha gast
05-19-2007, 9:19 PM
my prayers to Pesh and his family, this is sad news, he was so darn funny

Greg Ladd
05-19-2007, 9:55 PM
May God bless you as you have blessed many of us.

You will be missed.

Greg Ladd

Mike Weaver
05-19-2007, 10:02 PM
John,
Thank you for posting this.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Dale; however, I feel like I have from his posts over the past couple of years.

His wit and woodworking skill will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

-Mike

Martin Shupe
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I never met you, Dale, but your wit and wisdom will be missed around the Creek. God Bless you, and fair winds and following seas.

Tim Morton
05-19-2007, 10:14 PM
A very sad night at the creek for sure John. Dale is for sure one of the good ones, and will be missed by all. Let his family know we will never forget him.

Bob Noles
05-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Pesh,

You have no idea how much you will be missed. Thank you for all you have given us in so many ways.

Thanks John for keeping us posted

Bruce Page
05-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Pesh, you will be missed.
You always made me smile.

John W. Willis
05-20-2007, 8:36 AM
I don't know Mr. Thompson (Pesh) but if you guys and gals embrace him then that's good enough for me. I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed knowing him and fortunately we have his previous posts to enjoy.

My thoughts and prayers are with Dale and his family.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-20-2007, 9:45 AM
God Bless you Dale..

Grace and Peace.....

Glenn Clabo
05-20-2007, 10:50 AM
For a man of so many words...I have no words good enough.

God bless you and your family Pesh. You will be missed by all.

Bill Antonacchio
05-20-2007, 10:59 AM
God Bless you and your family PESH. A man of so much insight and wit will be truly missed.

Dan Forman
05-20-2007, 3:00 PM
Dale---You have blessed and amused us with many enjoyable posts, punctuated with your unique brand of self effacing humor. I'm sure your family will treasure the many projects you are leaving them. It's good that you have taken the opportunity to tie up loose ends in this world, in preparation for your great transition. I wish you peace.

Dan

Howie French
05-20-2007, 8:22 PM
Dale, May God Bless you and your family.

Howie

Fred Voorhees
05-20-2007, 8:31 PM
I had the pleasure of PM'ing back and forth a few times with Dale regarding a certain pasttime that we have both enjoyed in our lives. Besides that, as with most of the others, it has been truly a pleasure to have him around in The Creek. His wit and charm has touched me for quite a while now and he most certainly was a bright spot on this board. I would hope that maybe something featuring his style of humor will be "stickied" or stored somewhere so that we can check it out from time to time so that his memory will not fade with time.

I have had times in my life, that, regardless if I had met someone or had little contact with them in any way, their tough times have had this strange profound effect on me. There have been times I've been moved to tears.....this is one of them. Dale, we will all meet up again.....in a better place to boot.

Doyle Alley
05-20-2007, 8:59 PM
The Master Carpenter is calling a fellow woodworker home.

Rob Littleton
05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
God bless you Dale on your new start. It is sad news for those he leaves behind but Dale knows where he is headed and what is ahead for him. He is off to a better place.

God bless you Dale and see you again someday buddy.

Peace, in the Lord.

David Wilson
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Dale will be truly missed. Out thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Tom Cowie
05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
No apology necessary. I'm glad I belong to a forum that cares! I'm sure that this is in God's hands.

Tom

Roy Wall
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Blessings to you and your family Dale.

I thank you for quick wit and great posts. More importantly, you've made some terrific projects for your family that they will always cherish....this is why so many of us are in the craft.

My prayers are with you and all your family.

Karl Laustrup
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
While reading some of Pesh's earlier posts I came across this one and thought it appropriate http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9389 .

Just over 3 years ago Cupid was put to rest. I'm sure Cupid is waiting patiently for Pesh to open up the shop.

Karl

John Miliunas
05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Several of Dale's friends here have requested I provide any updates if/when I receive them. I did indeed just receive a short note from his daughter, Stacey. In part, it reads:

Suffice it to say these past few days have been long and hard … but they’ve also been joyous and cherished. My father is still with us though the days/hours will be very few. He is resting very comfortably at home in his own bed and surrounded by loved ones. That is truly a gift from the Lord.

Stacey is planning a separate note of thanks sometime in the future but, for now, she simply appreciates all the wonderful comments, prayers and well wishes. I too would like to add my "Thanks", as well.

Roy Wall
05-22-2007, 12:10 AM
To Stacey and Family,

I think its a beautiful thing that Dale is home with you guys.....to circle around his bed and talk with him. You don't get that very often...to be with Dale to the end....it is very touching.

Prayers and blessings to you all.......

Al Willits
05-22-2007, 9:13 AM
Looks like I'm late enough to this hobby to miss meeting a truly nice person, having not met Pesh but reading all of this, I can say it definitely was my loss.

Godspeed Pesh..

Al

John Miliunas
05-22-2007, 9:17 AM
Al, having met and spoken with you in person, I'm certain that you and Pesh would've hit it off like a pair of old pals! That's ok...One of these years, we'll all have a great big woodworker bash together and I hear that Dale plans on hosting it! :)

Looks like I'm late enough to this hobby to miss meeting a truly nice person, having not met Pesh but reading all of this, I can say it definitely was my loss.

Godspeed Pesh..

Al

Zahid Naqvi
05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I too have missed out on knowing Dale, what a loss. The abundance of well wishers is a testament to his character and how he lead his life. I wish him well in the second phase of his existance.

Bryan Somers
05-22-2007, 11:59 AM
This is sad news. I didn,t know Dale outside of what he publicly posted but I really enjoyed his post and seeing his work. The one thing that struck me was his deep love and affection for his family, he seamed like the type of man that would work tirelesly to please them.

My deepest sympathies to the family. God Speed to you Dale

Bill Hops
05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Have joy If he has placed his faith in Jesus Christ alone for his salvation he will be in the presence of the ultimate woodworker. Jesus was a carpenter with his father prior to entering his public life. AS John 3:16 says " God so loved the world that he gave his ONLY son. Who ever believes in him shall not perish but will have ever lasting LIFE!!" As Jesus himself said "I am the way the truth and the light no one comes to the father (GOD) except through me" I will be with the ulimate woodworker for eternity some day and hope to personally meet Dale if this was where he placed his faith for when he enters the eternal dust collector as we all will.
God bless you Dale and family,
Bill H.

Eugene A. Manzo III
05-22-2007, 5:55 PM
Truly Woodworking is an Art, many try, but very few Master
The responses here should tell you all.
That God Needed a project done so on Pesch he did call.
We should not be sad because hes gone
because he left us with a better understanding
Life and Woodworking are both the same.
But only one requires alot more sanding.
You see with each project you safely complete.
if you look deep enough into it.the masters are waiting for the time when we meet.
So Pesch we will all meet you in time.
Thank you for Guidance and Skill and you never asked us for a dime.
Take your best blade with you and set up your shop
According to This forum you already made it to the Top

God Bless You

John Miliunas
05-22-2007, 8:25 PM
Thanks, Eugene! I think you hit all points spot on!

Truly Woodworking is an Art, many try, but very few Master
The responses here should tell you all.
That God Needed a project done so on Pesch he did call.
We should not be sad because hes gone
because he left us with a better understanding
Life and Woodworking are both the same.
But only one requires alot more sanding.
You see with each project you safely complete.
if you look deep enough into it.the masters are waiting for the time when we meet.
So Pesch we will all meet you in time.
Thank you for Guidance and Skill and you never asked us for a dime.
Take your best blade with you and set up your shop
According to This forum you already made it to the Top

God Bless You

John Miliunas
05-26-2007, 9:35 AM
Received this note from Dale's daughter early this morning:

Hi Friends,

It is bitter sweet that I must write you with this news … but my dad has left us to be with Jesus. He passed away late yesterday afternoon following his 10-month battle with lung cancer. My mom was at his side as he peacefully passed which is such an answer to prayer. The funeral will take place in Peshtigo next Saturday (June 2nd), so your prayers for God’s sustaining mercies would be appreciated.

What a journey this has been, but I’m so thankful to God for His strength, love and peace throughout. Knowing that my dad was at peace with His Savior has allowed us to be in a place of peace also. Eternal peace is truly a precious gift and one I’ve learned not to take for granted in these past days.

Thank you again for your concern and support. I pray you are blessed for being a blessing to us J

In His Care,
Stacey

I too would like to add my "thanks" to you folks for your prayers, thoughts and messages. I'm sure Pesh now has the absolute best woodworking shop in the universe. Good bye, my friend....

Boyd Gathwright
05-26-2007, 12:38 PM
.... Well, Dale's truly is in a better place now. Our deepest prayers are with his family and friends.

Boyd

Received this note from Dale's daughter early this morning:

Hi Friends,

It is bitter sweet that I must write you with this news … but my dad has left us to be with Jesus. He passed away late yesterday afternoon following his 10-month battle with lung cancer. My mom was at his side as he peacefully passed which is such an answer to prayer. The funeral will take place in Peshtigo next Saturday (June 2nd), so your prayers for God’s sustaining mercies would be appreciated.

What a journey this has been, but I’m so thankful to God for His strength, love and peace throughout. Knowing that my dad was at peace with His Savior has allowed us to be in a place of peace also. Eternal peace is truly a precious gift and one I’ve learned not to take for granted in these past days.

Thank you again for your concern and support. I pray you are blessed for being a blessing to us J

In His Care,
Stacey

I too would like to add my "thanks" to you folks for your prayers, thoughts and messages. I'm sure Pesh now has the absolute best woodworking shop in the universe. Good bye, my friend....

Jim O'Dell
05-26-2007, 5:52 PM
I was working in the shop today, listening to my favorite radio station just waiting for this song to come on so I would remember who sings it, and go on line and get the lyrics. It fits with the notes that Dale's daughter passed on to John M. Thought I'd share it with you.

by Mark Harris "Wish You Were Here"

Thinking of you Pesh.....

Verse 1

I wanted to tell you how closely I've kept
The memories of you in my heart
And all of the lifetimes that we've had to share
Live even though we're apart

But don't cry for me
'Cause I'm finally free

To run with the angles
On streets made of gold
To listen to stories of saints new and old
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me

Verse 2

No don't you be weary 'cause waiting for you
Are wonders that you've never known
Just hold on to Jesus, reach out for His hands
And one day they'll welcome you home
And that's when you'll be
Finally Free
Finally Free

To run with the angles
On streets made of gold
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me

bridge

And all of the dreams that you treasure
Will soon come together
And that's when your sorrow will be tomorrow
And you will rise again

To run with the angles
On streets made of gold
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me

We'll run with the angles
On streets made of gold
We'll listen to stories of saints new and old
To worship our Maker
That's where we'll be
When you finally find me

I wish you were here
I wish you were here

May the shamrocks fall softly. Jim.

John Miliunas
05-26-2007, 6:02 PM
Thank you, Sir! You're a good man, Jim O'Dell. I'm sure Pesh would've been honored to know you.

I was working in the shop today, listening to my favorite radio station just waiting for this song to come on so I would remember who sings it, and go on line and get the lyrics. It fits with the notes that Dale's daughter passed on to John M. Thought I'd share it with you.

by Mark Harris "Wish You Were Here"

Thinking of you Pesh.....

Verse 1

I wanted to tell you how closely Ive kept
The memories of you in my heart
And all of the lifetimes that we've had to share
Live even though we're apart

But dont cry for me
'Cause I'm finally free

To run with the angles
On streets made of gold
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me

Verse 2

No dont you be weary cause waiting for you
Are wonders that you've never known
Just hold on to Jesus, reach out for His hands
And one day they'll welcome you home
And that's when you'll be
Finally Free
Finally Free

To run with the angles
On streets made of gold
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me

bridge

And all of the dreams that you treasure
Will soon come together
And that's when your sorrow will be tomorrow
And you will rise again

To run with the angles
On streets made of gold
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me

We'll run with the angles
On streets made of gold
We;ll listen to stories of saints new and old
To worship our Maker
That's where we'll be
When you finally find me

I wish you were here
I wish you were here

May the shamrocks fall softly. Jim.

Dan Forman
05-27-2007, 5:20 PM
Here is another song that may bring some comfort to those bereaved. This was written by Rodney Crowell after his father passed. It speaks to the importance of tying up loose ends while there is still time.

Things I Wish I’d Said - Rodney Crowell
Album: Greatest Hits

You lay there fighting for each breath
While, angels hovered round your bed
With open arms like God’s own smile
They led you to the light

What a battle you have won
And now your journey has begun
To the land where spirits fly
And your soul will never die

Chorus
Travel lightly in my heart
You and I will never part
Far beyond this world we see
There’s a place for you and me

And I thank my lucky stars We had a chance to heal our scars
Now I don’t have to hang my head
Over things I wish I’d said

And I thank my lucky stars
We had a chance to heal our scars
Now I don’t have to hang my head
Over things I wish I had said

So here am I your only son
I’m thinking back on work we’ve done
You were strong and I was young
Man we had our fights

And every thing I felt for you
Has been turned to something new
And this is love I feel today
It will never go away

Repeat Chorus

And I thank the moon and stars
We had a chance to heal our scars Now I don’t have to hang my head

I don’t have to hide my tears
I don’t have to drown my fears
And I don’t have to hang my head

No I don’t have to live in dread

Dan

John Miliunas
05-27-2007, 5:37 PM
Thank you, Dan! It's great to see so much support for the family coming from those who cherish the Creek as much as Dale did. You guys are the greatest and I'm certain Dale's family has been touched by your kindness. I know that, at least, one of his friends has.... Thanks again, folks.

John Miliunas
05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey folks. While I realize it's most probably not feasable for most of you to attend, many folks have asked for continued information on Dale's final arrangements as passed on to me by Stacey.

Friends and Family,

Your outpouring of support has been so appreciated. Many of you have asked about the funeral arrangements for my dad … for that I am grateful.

Date: Sat., June 2nd
Visitation: 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Service: 5 p.m.
350 N Stephenson Ave
Peshtigo, WI 54157
(715) 582-3655
www.fbcpeshtigo.com (http://www.fbcpeshtigo.com/)

Dinner will be served at the church immediately following the service.

If you’re unable to attend but desire to write condolences to the family, visit the following link:
http://hansenonionmartell.com/forms/condolence.php (http://hansenonionmartell.com/forms/condolence.php)
His full name is Dale A. Thompson.

Your continued prayers during this time are appreciated. God has been so faithful to answer those prayers throughout this journey J

With love and thanks,
Stacey

Again, a personal "thanks" from me, as well, for all the support.

Karl Laustrup
05-20-2008, 4:58 PM
Just thought I'd bring this thread back in memory of Dale Thompson, aka, "Pesh". I think I gave him that nickname, because he lived in Peshtigo, WI.

It's almost a year now and I got some laughs while I re-read some of the threads he started and commented on. There's a couple of links in this thread that are pretty good reading.

It's a good way to remember our friend "Pesh".

Karl

Brian Kent
05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I just wrote a prayer for Pesh. I hope it is appropriate in this context:

Lord God, creator of people and of trees, creator of color and texture and beauty,
when you sent your Son Jesus, you sent him as the earthly son of a carpenter.
When he showed his wisdom and power, the people said,
Is not this the carpenter’s son?

Now a man is before you, a woodworker who has loved your beauty and who has responded to your love. Help him Lord, in these between times, between life on earth and life with you in heaven.

Jesus told his disciples that he went to prepare a place for them.
What is he place that you have prepared for Pesh?
Maybe a place to catch up on his rest?
Maybe a place with some deep friends and family that are already with you?

But there must be a creative place, because you love to create and we are made in your image.
What does a heavenly shop look like?
What kind of tools? What kind of materials?

From here we can just wait and wonder.
Your good friend Pesh gets to see you and all of heaven soon!
Remind, us Lord, to be faithful and true,
Loving you and being true friends to each other, and remember a friend – Pesh!

Amen