PDA

View Full Version : Fellow woodworker has left us....

John Miliunas
05-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I apologize for posting on multiple forums but, I felt it necessary. Individual forum moderators are welcome to delete if they feel the need. It WILL stay on the Turners' Forum regardless.

This is, without a doubt, the most difficult thread I've posted in all my years on the Internet. As some of you know, Dale Thompson (Pesh) has been a long standing member of this community but, most recently, has been battling cancer. I just received a phone call from his daughter, Stacey. Long story short, they don't expect our buddy to make it a week. He's comfortable and at home but, his body is no longer able to process oxygen properly nor clean up the CO2 in his body. Stacey assured me that Pesh has made peace with himself, his family and his Lord and is ready for the next leg of his journey.

Stacey did have a special request, though. She is looking to see if there's any appropriate poem or prayer for a Woodworker, which may relate a connection between The Number 1 carpenter and those who have followed in this craft. If any of you folks know of such a verse, please, forward it on to me and I will be sure to get it to Stacey, as she really would like this on the front page of the church program.

I just don't know what else to say, plus it's just too hard to see the monitor through the tears. Pesh, you will be missed. But, your humor, your completed projects, all the good which you've done for so many and your words of wisdom will carry on into Eternity. The good Lord will now be taking care of you. You will never be forgotten. Be at peace, my friend. Be at peace.

Jim Becker
05-19-2007, 8:30 PM
Please pass on my personal well wishes to Pesh and his family. I've always enjoyed his witty contributions to our community...he will be missed, but certainly not forgotten by those who came to know him, even in a small way.

Leigh Costello
05-20-2007, 11:23 AM
John, I wrote and engraved this for a friend who passed recently. Hope you can use it. My sympathies to Pesh's family and friends. Leigh

Woodworker’s Prayer

You guide my heart and You guide my hands
I lovingly craft what You have created
Into something that will be treasured

The hours spent working the wood from Your earth
Are my gifts to You and to others
You blessed me with this ability
For that, I am eternally grateful

You gave your only son for me and all others
I am giving you my soul to do your bidding
Look after me Lord, as I work with your wood

When the time comes for me to leave this earth
I pray you welcome this woodworker’s soul
To rest by your side for eternity
And keep me safe in Your arms.
Amen.

Pete Simmons
05-20-2007, 11:35 AM
The Keep Your Fork story was posted some time ago. It is a story about the best is yet to come.

I am sure Pesh kept a fork.

He will be greatly missed.

--------------------

Friends are a very rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they always want to open their hearts to us. Show your friends how much you care.

Remember to always be there for them, even when you need them more. For you never know when it may be their time to "Keep your fork."

Cherish the time you have, and the memories you share. Being friends with
someone is not an opportunity but a sweet responsibility.

And keep your fork!

Tim Morton
05-20-2007, 11:58 AM
if only we could hear pesh tell the story of having to build his own coffin because he had no money to buy one.and how before he could finish it his dauther needed something built right away...he was would have us laughing for the whole weekend...and like always it would turn out to be a piece of art. And you know he would put it on hold to do anything for anyone.:cool:

*sigh*

Curt Fuller
05-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I didn't know Dale but from what I've read he was a heck of a man.
Happy Trails Pesh!

John Miliunas
05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
John, I wrote and engraved this for a friend who passed recently. Hope you can use it. My sympathies to Pesh's family and friends. Leigh

Woodworker’s Prayer

You guide my heart and You guide my hands
I lovingly craft what You have created
Into something that will be treasured

The hours spent working the wood from Your earth
Are my gifts to You and to others
You blessed me with this ability
For that, I am eternally grateful

You gave your only son for me and all others
I am giving you my soul to do your bidding
Look after me Lord, as I work with your wood

When the time comes for me to leave this earth
I pray you welcome this woodworker’s soul
To rest by your side for eternity
And keep me safe in Your arms.
Amen.

Leigh,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! How absolutely appropriate. I've already sent it on to Stacey.

Leigh Costello
05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
You are very welcome, John. I am glad that you like the prayer, but I am more sad that you know someone who needs it right now.

Take care

Bill Lewis
05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Wow, I think I know this guy, I'm pretty sure I met him years ago on rec.ww (Before the advent of the many forums). If it is who I think it is, he will surely be missed. We had quite an exchange (email) about some of the conversations on the rec.

John Miliunas
05-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Wow, I think I know this guy, I'm pretty sure I met him years ago on rec.ww (Before the advent of the many forums). If it is who I think it is, he will surely be missed. We had quite an exchange (email) about some of the conversations on the rec.

Bill, could very well be but, with all due respect, even if it's not the same person, Pesh will be very much missed. Trust me on this one. A man of many talents and a friend to everyone who ever met him.

john whittaker
05-21-2007, 1:37 PM
Yes, Dale is a special man. It's a tribute to him that while we all know he is an accomplished woodworker...the first thing we all thought of when remembering is his great wit, sense of humor, and strong dedication to his family.

Leigh, what a beautiful poem. As I read it, it occurred to me that anyone who was raised by a woodworker or carpenter, is blessed. (I am) After all, God choose a carpenter to raise his only Son.

While writing a song recently trying to express the relationship between man & tree and how each benefit from the experience, I made the following notes:

Trees, so beautiful in life, yield yet as pure a gift in death.
The woodworker creates anew a lasting an fitting tribute.
As the bond between bee & flower
Artist and tree grow to become what they make of each other.

Our prayers go out to the Thompson family.
John & Terri

P.S. It also occurs to me that Pesh would be the first one to call me out for writing such mushy material....and it puts a smile on my face.

John Miliunas
05-21-2007, 1:59 PM
Yes, John. You're right. Dale would cyber-slap right across the head. :D He'd tell you to save it for a "real" woodworker and how it doesn't befit him. That's our Pesh. Thank you for such a wonderful reminder....

Trees, so beautiful in life, yield yet as pure a gift in death.
The woodworker creates anew a lasting an fitting tribute.
As the bond between bee & flower
Artist and tree grow to become what they make of each other.

Our prayers go out to the Thompson family.
John & Terri

P.S. It also occurs to me that Pesh would be the first one to call me out for writing such mushy material....and it puts a smile on my face.

John Miliunas
05-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Several of Dale's friends here have requested I provide any updates if/when I receive them. I did indeed just receive a short note from his daughter, Stacey. In part, it reads:

Suffice it to say these past few days have been long and hard … but they’ve also been joyous and cherished. My father is still with us though the days/hours will be very few. He is resting very comfortably at home in his own bed and surrounded by loved ones. That is truly a gift from the Lord.

Stacey is planning a seperate note of thanks sometime in the future but, for now, she simply appreciates all the wonderful comments, prayers and well wishes. I too would like to add my "Thanks", as well.

Leigh Costello
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Thank you for the update John. I never met Pesh, but I read alot on this forum and feel like a bit of a friend. Pass along to Stacey my prayers. She is in a place that is hard to explain until you live it. The best and worst times I ever had with my dad were the last weeks of his life. I thought I would never feel that way again. Sadly, a few years ago my oldest sister got sicker...the last 15 days of her life were almost magical. It sounds corny, but they were truly the best and the worst of times. And Sheboygan Medical Center may never be the same! The miracles of the last days are often the most noticed and last forgotten. Take care.

John Miliunas
05-26-2007, 9:31 AM
Received this note from Dale's daughter early this morning:

Hi Friends,

It is bitter sweet that I must write you with this news … but my dad has left us to be with Jesus. He passed away late yesterday afternoon following his 10-month battle with lung cancer. My mom was at his side as he peacefully passed which is such an answer to prayer. The funeral will take place in Peshtigo next Saturday (June 2nd), so your prayers for God’s sustaining mercies would be appreciated.

What a journey this has been, but I’m so thankful to God for His strength, love and peace throughout. Knowing that my dad was at peace with His Savior has allowed us to be in a place of peace also. Eternal peace is truly a precious gift and one I’ve learned not to take for granted in these past days.

Thank you again for your concern and support. I pray you are blessed for being a blessing to us J

In His Care,
Stacey

I too would like to add my "thanks" to you folks for your prayers, thoughts and messages. I'm sure Pesh now has the absolute best woodworking shop in the universe. Good bye, my friend....

Jim Becker
05-26-2007, 10:33 AM
You know a great man when so many are affected by sadness at his passing.

Thanks for passing on this news, John. I know it was difficult, but I also know that the community appreciates it.

Karl Laustrup
05-26-2007, 1:34 PM
I am sad for us. We must carry on without Pesh.

Condolances to the Thompson family. Our prayers and wishes are with you in this time of sadness.

We still have his posts here on SMC to remind us of his wit and wisdom. :)

Karl

John Miliunas
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey folks. While I realize it's most probably not feasable for most of you to attend, many folks have asked for continued information on Dale's final arrangements as passed on to me by Stacey.

Friends and Family,

Your outpouring of support has been so appreciated. Many of you have asked about the funeral arrangements for my dad … for that I am grateful.

Date: Sat., June 2nd
Visitation: 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Service: 5 p.m.
350 N Stephenson Ave
Peshtigo, WI 54157
(715) 582-3655
www.fbcpeshtigo.com (http://www.fbcpeshtigo.com/)

Dinner will be served at the church immediately following the service.

If you’re unable to attend but desire to write condolences to the family, visit the following link:
http://hansenonionmartell.com/forms/condolence.php (http://hansenonionmartell.com/forms/condolence.php)
His full name is Dale A. Thompson.

Your continued prayers during this time are appreciated. God has been so faithful to answer those prayers throughout this journey J

With love and thanks,
Stacey

Again, a personal "thanks" from me, as well, for all the support.

Fred Dorn
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Here is Dale's obituary:

Dale A. Thompson, 65, N3322 River Bend Drive, Peshtigo, passed away Thursday afternoon, May 24, 2007, at his home. He was born July 26, 1941, in Marinette to the late Louis and Alice (Abrahamson) Thompson. Dale spent his early life in this area and was a graduate of Marinette High School, Class of 1959. He continued his education at the University of Illinois, graduating in 1964 with a degree in engineering mechanics. In Des Moines, Iowa, on Nov. 5, 1966, he was married to the former Judi Shenton. Dale first worked as an engineer for Firestone Tire and Rubber Co. in Des Moines. Returning to Marinette, he was employed for 17 years by The Ansul Co. before establishing the Fire Protection Engineering Program at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College in Marinette. Dale taught at NWTC until retiring in 1998. Since 1988, Dale and Judi also owned and operated their own business, Fire Tech Productions, providing training programs for Fire Professional Certification. Dale was a gifted woodworker and an environmental advocate. His greatest love was his work with the Save the Wild Shores project in the High Falls area of the Peshtigo River. He also worked with state and local officials to advance the establishment of Tommy Thompson State Park in Marinette County.

Dale is survived by his wife, Judi; one son, Kevin "Red" Thompson, Peshtigo; one daughter, Stacey (Kent) Tushaus, Oak Creek; three grandchildren, Josiah, Aliyah and Moriah; and an aunt, Joyce Thompson, Marinette.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a sister, Jan Dolan, and an infant sister, Beverly.

Friends may call at Faith Baptist Church, Peshtigo from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 2, 2007. Funeral services will be held at Faith Baptist Church at 5 p.m. Saturday with Pastor Terry Martell of Oakbrook Church, Green Bay, officiating. Burial will be in the Athelstane Cemetery.

The family expresses heartfelt thanks to Dr. David Mertens and the entire compassionate staff of Bay Area Cancer Care Center and to Unity Hospice.
If desired, memorial donations are suggested for the Menominee Animal Shelter or The Salvation Army. Hansen-Onion-Martell funeral home, Marinette, is serving the family.

John Miliunas
05-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Thank you kindly, Fred. Much appreciated.