PDA

View Full Version : Can you buff a plastic eyeglass lens??

Ken Alcott
05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
My wife wanted me to try and remove scratches from her eyeglasses.

It is a plastic lens. Can you even buff a plastic lens to remove a scratch and if so how would you do it?

Thanks.

Ken

David Epperson
05-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Yep. You CAN buff the scratches out. But if you use a buffing wheel it's real easy to apply too much pressure or hold it on the wheel too long and burn the plastic. In any case the prescription/focus will also be changed a bit. How much depends upon how much you have to buff out. But if they are "just" safety glasses then yes they can be returned to servicability.

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2007, 1:03 PM
Don't buff. Buy Novus Polishes. They have 3 grades: clean & shine, fine scratches and deep scratches. I use the clean & shine to restore my face shield. Works great.

I bought if from http://www.lotionsuperstore.com/novus_plastic_polish.html as they had the best price. You probably only need 1 & 2. Or just get the 3 pack.

Burt

Ken Alcott
05-19-2007, 2:32 PM
Thanks for your help. I will give it a shot.

Jude Kingery
05-19-2007, 5:01 PM
Thanks Burt - ordered some - I wear prescription safety glasses and noted a light scratch the other day - this is the perfect solution. Thanks! Jude

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-19-2007, 6:13 PM
Absolutely you can && you will most likely change the optical qualities dramatically to boot.