PDA

View Full Version : Any way to duplicate this trim with basic tools

Kurt Strandberg
05-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Any way to duplicate this trim with basic tools, table saw, routers, band saw, jointer, cms, drill press, compucarve, ok, so the compucarve is not a basic tool but I don't think I can do it on that without scanning the trim first, and I don't have the $400.00 scanning tool

ryan smythe
05-19-2007, 10:18 AM
seems like a basic profile that you could get from a lumberyard or the borg.

Justin James
05-19-2007, 10:52 AM
It looks like you could "stack" the compound moulding from a series of simple mouldings, rather than doing it all as one piece. Imagine taking the finished moulding, and ripping it at each shadow line. Each piece could be made with the tools you describe, then the moulding assembled, either in situ or (for example) on a piece of 1/4" ply before installation.

I did this once to match the crown moulding on a china cabinet, and from normal viewing distance the buildup was unnoticable to the customer. YMMV of course.

Mark Singer
05-19-2007, 11:00 AM
You can make it with a tablesaw...cove cut....and score

Mike Parzych
05-19-2007, 11:44 AM
At first glance the upper portion looks a lot like a standard door casing profile. Bottom part looks like some screen door trim part. I've been able to stack various profiles to make rather complicated shapes. I'd try a good lumber yard/millwork shop since they stock a lot more profiles than the BORGs

dan moran
05-19-2007, 11:57 AM
At first glance the upper portion looks a lot like a standard door casing profile. Bottom part looks like some screen door trim part. I've been able to stack various profiles to make rather complicated shapes. I'd try a good lumber yard/millwork shop since they stock a lot more profiles than the BORGs

i was going to say that it looked like an upside down version of colonial base with some version of bed moulding or chair rail pushed up to the cap panel- ive done this with upside down 5" brittany base and ~4" crown moulding on the "floating" mantels I built for some new construction jobs last year.

BUT>>

Without something to provide a semblance of scale-- like a tape measure next to it in the photo its really impossible to tell for sure..

good luck with that.

Ben Grunow
05-20-2007, 9:15 PM
Not sure Kurt but that is a 2 1/2" colonial casing and it is a stock profile at all lumber yards near me.

Kurt Strandberg
05-31-2007, 8:51 PM
Here is a picture of the trim with a tape measure next to it,

any more suggestions?

Jim Kountz
08-18-2007, 10:07 AM
check out MLCS bits, they have some that could do this I believe. Im assuming that you need it in another species other than pine or oak and that is why you dont just purchase it at a lumber yard??

Reg Mitchell
08-18-2007, 11:45 AM
You might wanna check with your lumber yard. They sometimes do run molding. They have molders to do flooring according to their position in the markets. Small yards around here do crown molding and baseboards. Never hurts to ask
Reg