PDA

View Full Version : My little gloat ........

Bill Huber
05-18-2007, 10:54 PM
I got my Dowelmax today and man I love this thing already.

I made 2 test joints and they came out perfect.

So I doweled up the face frame of a cabinet that I am building for the shop. I made 10 dowel joints with 2 dowels each. It took me about 45 min. to do the whole thing, drill the holes and glue it up. This was the first time with the jig and I am sure it will go faster in the future, I still was marking everything and I don't think I will need to do that in the future. Every joint was flush and went together just like it should.

I know it is a little high priced but we will see in the future if I get my moneys worth out of it, I think I will just in the project I have in mind right now.

Dan Drager
05-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Congratulations Bill,

There is a great article in the new Wood magazine that compares the dowelMax to the Domino, a Biscuit joiner and a 4th method. the dowelmax, while a little slower than the domino in making joints, took the award for strongest joints in the test. Enjoy!

Don Bullock
05-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Congratulations Bill. I'm considering the Dowelmax. It seems to be a very easy system to use. Currently I don't have anything like a biscuit cutter or Domino. Many years ago I used a dowel jig that I got good results with. I'm sure that the Dowelmax is even better.

Bill Huber
05-19-2007, 1:30 AM
Congratulations Bill,

There is a great article in the new Wood magazine that compares the dowelMax to the Domino, a Biscuit joiner and a 4th method. the dowelmax, while a little slower than the domino in making joints, took the award for strongest joints in the test. Enjoy!

Thanks Dan.....

I think the Domino is really nice and looks very fast but the cost is way over my head. The DowelMax will cause me to buy a new chair for the living room, if you know what I mean.

Bill Huber
05-19-2007, 1:38 AM
Congratulations Bill. I'm considering the Dowelmax. It seems to be a very easy system to use. Currently I don't have anything like a biscuit cutter or Domino. Many years ago I used a dowel jig that I got good results with. I'm sure that the Dowelmax is even better.

I have done some dowel work with a self-centering jig and the little buttons but that is a real pain.
The DowelMax is a joy to use and much faster. I sold my biscuit joiner last week, I just didn't like it and it did not feel very good to use. Pulse with small things you couldn't use it anyway.
On this project I was using 1 1/2 inches on the cross frames and the biscuit joiner wouldn't even work for that.