PDA

View Full Version : Selling your own house

Craig D Peltier
05-18-2007, 4:37 PM
Does anyone know of a company that was written about in USA today a 2-3 month period ago. The company was in a few select cities at the time. I think cost was 2k and they listed your house.Took care of the whole transaction except meeting the potential buyers and holding open houses and newspaper advertising.
IM not about to pay a agency 40k/20 for a 40hrs or so in work. Its just doesnt seem right.Cost should have a step program not a dollar figure on what you sell your house at.

Thanks

PS it wasnt FSBO (for sale by owner)

PSS also has anyone done this and could they speak of there experience.My place is in a state that has escrow not lawyers for a sale.

John Daugherty
05-18-2007, 5:07 PM
was it assist 2 sell?

Joe Pelonio
05-18-2007, 5:29 PM
There's one that I do some signs for here, that is in many other states:

http://www.helpusell.com/

I don't know what they charge but they have set fees, not a percentage, not due until it sells, and I think they charged based on the level of service that you choose. For example you can do the open houses or pay them to do it.

Joe Mioux
05-18-2007, 9:18 PM
Just out of curiosity... why not a FSBO?

Joe

Jim Becker
05-18-2007, 9:38 PM
ByOwner.com?

Worth a shot, but do remember that sometimes you can negotiate fees with a local broker...and they do a lot of networking with other brokers--even from competing affiliations--that you don't get when you do it yourself. Most of the properties around here that I've seen listed by owners eventually have ended up with a pro after some period of time. And even then, the listing cycle is quite long, even after "reductions".

Dick Latshaw
05-18-2007, 9:53 PM
If you decide to do business with a discount real estate company, be sure of the services you are getting. A major question: 'Will the property be put into the local Multiple Listing Service?'. A question of exposure.

If you, as a seller are trying to 'save the commission', chances are your prospective buyer is too and will be looking for a lower than normal price. In addition, if I were an out of town buyer, chances are I'd be in a hurry and wouldn't want to fool with discount or 'for sale by owner (FSBO)' properties.

(Disclaimer: My wife and I are both (inactive) licensed real estate brokers in the State of Florida).

Brian Elfert
05-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Just out of curiosity... why not a FSBO?

I wouldn't do a straight FSBO especially not these days.

There are a number of brokers that charge around $1000, but they will list your home on MLS. These days MLS is probably the single most important tool to sell a house since most folks look online and don't read too many newspaper ads.

I won't mention the places around here that do the cheap listings because they likely are not in your area.

Brian Elfert

Craig D Peltier
05-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks I dont think it was any of these listed. Kepp em coming or any advice. Thanks from inactive agents advice too.
I wouldnt settle for a company that doest put lisitng on MLS. I understand how agents are networking with each other ,some very little some more.I just wonder how often this comes as help into selling your house.
If you have a 1 million dollar home I dont think an agent should make 30k an the other another 30k. Thats just not worth it.I dont know any other job that people have to deal with so often that make that much money off a single unit.
Do I get free tools with that!

Scott Donley
05-19-2007, 11:47 AM
This one maybe ? www.mls4owners.com (http://www.mls4owners.com)

Jim Becker
05-19-2007, 8:36 PM
TI dont know any other job that people have to deal with so often that make that much money off a single unit.

Do keep in mind that the majority of Realtors don't sell large quantities of homes every year and the current market is a tough one, besides. The man who sold my previous home did it in a day and a half and at full listing price...a number I never dreamed it would get. Even he was surprised at that...it was purely timing. The woman who acted as our buyer broker when we bought this place earned every penny with all the running around, research and negotiation for months...and has continued to help us even almost seven years later.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you are wrong to want to try and reduce your selling costs. Just that selling real estate isn't a piece of cake for the folks that do it, especially these days. Just getting enough listings to build a funnel is a full time job besides all the other work to help folks buy and sell homes.