PDA

View Full Version : designing with fixed-spacing dovetail jigs

Chris Friesen
05-18-2007, 4:36 PM
For those of you that have fixed-spacing dovetail jigs, how do you account for that when designing your pieces? Do you design the drawer heights to enforce a multiple of the dovetail spacing to end up with half pins top and bottom?

I've been looking at the PC 4212 jig, but now Leigh has announced some less expensive variable-spacing ones so I'm not sure what makes the most sense.
Edit/Delete Message

Jamie Buxton
05-18-2007, 4:49 PM
The drawer sides don't have to be the same height as the drawer front. You can design the drawer front height by whatever criteria you choose, and then select a drawer side height which can be made by your jig. This works almost without regard to how the drawer slides into the carcass. You can use dados in the drawer sides, with wooden drawer runners. You can make the drawers with the NK method. You can use metal slides -- either sidemount or undermount.

Ken Consaul
05-18-2007, 5:25 PM
Here is a link to an instructional video mostly on the PC 4212. Its about an hour long podcast. Each of the non-variable DT jigs, PC. Keller, Rocker, have a set ratio. From the podcast: "The PC is set up to do layouts in increments of 1" + 1/4"." Just watched this and I think they meant the setup for a drawer would be two and a quarter, three and a quarter, etc. Not two and a quarter, three and a half, etc.
Its a very useful video and will answer a lot of questions.
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/04/30/podcast-20-machine-cut-dovetails/

There's also an interesting one about esoteric tasks on a TS.

Now to my question: I have a 4212 and was wondering if you can do a half blind set up where it isn't incremental. Rather than make a side with a series of equally spaced pins and tails, could you make randomly spaced (but on layout) joints. As an example, to get a more hand-cut look on a 10" high drawer side, could you make only three or four joints, say two at the bottom and two at the top or are you committed by the jig to DT the whole reach?