PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Recommendations

Tim Dorcas
05-18-2007, 2:41 PM
I've done the math and I can't get a Tormek or even a Jet Sharpener. So what should I get? I have some tools that need to be ground down since they now have nicks in them. Delta has a sharpener that's about half the price but the reviews are not that good on them. If someone is using something they like I would like to hear about it. Thanks!

Tim

glenn bradley
05-18-2007, 3:26 PM
I agree that the price of sharpeners is out of line for the quality of my tools. $300 to $400 to sharpen a $100 set of 6 chisels just doesn't pan out. Now when I have more refined stuff . . . .

Anyway, that being said my dad and I are talking about going in halves on this one:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemID=112349&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C12395%2C12400

Granted, most stuff I sharpen is straight.

Todd Jensen
05-18-2007, 4:00 PM
I'm using the cheap variable speed delta and have been for a while with no problems. I took the flexible light off of it - a bulb never lasted in the piece of junk - but other than its fine. Not a german engineering marvel, but a spinning fine grit wheel that works. I think I got it for 70 or 80 bucks from Rockler.

Mark Engel
05-18-2007, 4:11 PM
I can sell you a nice Central Machinery unit for $50.00? :D

3450 rpm, 80 grit dry wheel & 400 rpm 1000 grit horizontal wet wheel.

Burt Alcantara
05-18-2007, 5:54 PM
I've got a Ryobi 8" grinder with 1" wheels. Costs about $60-70. Hi speed with useless lights and useless shields but otherwise works.

Harbor Freight has low prices but the wheels are 3/4". If that doesn't bother you then you can find a good deal there. The one I tried had instant speed. Returned ti because of the wheels.

I will probably replace this with a Woodcraft slow speed since I mainly use it to sharpen turning tools.

Vijay Kumar
05-18-2007, 6:03 PM
I've done the math and I can't get a Tormek or even a Jet Sharpener. So what should I get? I have some tools that need to be ground down since they now have nicks in them. Delta has a sharpener that's about half the price but the reviews are not that good on them. If someone is using something they like I would like to hear about it. Thanks!

Tim
The Woodcraft low speed 8 inch grinder is a pretty good buy for the money.
Advantages:
1. Low cost --about $ 70 usually on sale, otherwise about $ 100.
2. Lower speed --about 1700 RPM easier to control the tool to prevent from burning.
3. Comes with white grinding wheels which themselves cost as much as the grinder These white Al Oxide wheels run cooler since they are friable--break off to present a clean cutting edge.
4. The 8 inch wheel diameter will not put a great concave surface to your chisels, thus being a good compromise between a flat grind and a concave grind.
Here is the URL http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605
No personal association with Woodcraft.

Vijay

Howard Rosenberg
05-18-2007, 6:06 PM
Sorry. I couldn't resist.....

The general wisdom points to needing to replace mst tool rests on Delta-type units.

You can save yourself a bundle by taking a close look at Delta, General (International?), DeWalt, even Ryobi.

The only thing I'd suggest that might be a "must-have" should be variable spedd.

HTH

Howard

Eddie Darby
05-18-2007, 6:33 PM
Do you own a portable belt sander? Just mount it upside down in a vise or build a wooden holder, and use it to remove the nicks. When the major amount of metal has been removed, use the Scary Sharp System to cheaply refine the edge to the level of sharpness you want.

I've used the bottom side of a palm sander when in a pinch. Just go easy on the pressure if it is hook and loop, and move it around a lot to avoid overheating.

Gary Keedwell
05-18-2007, 6:41 PM
The Woodcraft low speed 8 inch grinder is a pretty good buy for the money.
Advantages:
1. Low cost --about $ 70 usually on sale, otherwise about $ 100.
2. Lower speed --about 1700 RPM easier to control the tool to prevent from burning.
3. Comes with white grinding wheels which themselves cost as much as the grinder These white Al Oxide wheels run cooler since they are friable--break off to present a clean cutting edge.
4. The 8 inch wheel diameter will not put a great concave surface to your chisels, thus being a good compromise between a flat grind and a concave grind.
Here is the URL http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605
No personal association with Woodcraft.

Vijay
For a few bucks more, you can get the two speed . Click on link on same page.;)
Gary K.

Tim Dorcas
05-18-2007, 7:23 PM
Has anyone used anything like this?

John Schreiber
05-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Do you own a portable belt sander? Just mount it upside down in a vise or build a wooden holder, and use it to remove the nicks. When the major amount of metal has been removed, use the Scary Sharp System to cheaply refine the edge to the level of sharpness you want.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Belt sander doesn't get hot too fast (but you still have to pay attention). Scary sharp can sharpen anything. I'd also recommend a bevel guide. I think I'd get the Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide if I were in the market.

Mark Singer
05-19-2007, 1:05 AM
Sharp tools are a very important part of fine woodworking....it doesn't matter what system....the resulting sharp tools are important....sharp but not obsessive:rolleyes:

Randal Stevenson
05-19-2007, 1:15 AM
Yes, I know where I am going and gonna burn for this, BUT since the Jet and the Tormek are out of range FOR NOW,

How about the Harbor Frieght 8" slow speed grinder, item # 95236-1vga ?
$99 (at least now), uses the jigs of the others (from what I've seen), and then you'd have them to upgrade with?

Or am I just completely out of line here (some of us, still have to buy till we can upgrade, occassionaly).:o :confused:

Wilbur Pan
05-19-2007, 7:26 AM
If budget is a concern, how about this money saving tip: you might not need a grinder!

The best thing I've ever done for my woodworking is I took a class on sharpening. If there is a woodworking club in your area or a decent store, those could be resources for finding a class. Lacking that, there are some good videos available as well.

If you are looking to sharpen flat blades (chisels, plane blades), you can go a long way with either the "Scary Sharp" system or a basic set of waterstones. The cost for the "Scary Sharp" system is several sheets of wet/dry sandpaper and some sort of flat surface, usually a thick piece of glass or a piece of granite. I've used a kitchen countertop in a pinch. With coarse grit wet/dry sandpaper, you'll be surprised how quickly you can get rid of a nick.

Personally, I'm using waterstones for chisels and plane blades. I do have a Tormek, but the reason I got it was because I couldn't sharpen turning gouges using waterstones, not because I needed a "grinder".

Tim Dorcas
05-19-2007, 5:25 PM
I have taken a couple of classes on sharpening. I should add that I currently use the Veritas' MKII with waterstones. This systems works well but is a little slow. Repairing nicks with this method is painful. Mostly I want to grind out the nicks and then use my waterstones to finish things up.

I am not a huge fan of the Scary Sharp method but that's just me.

Brian Dormer
05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Get a piece of glass and some sandpaper - then learn how to hand sharpen (Scary Sharp Method) your chisels. It's cheap (probably less than 20 bucks) - it takes a while to learn (especially some of the more exotic profiles) - but you can't beat the price. Get a set of cheap (I got 2 sets for $20) chisels off ebay to practice on.

When you get frustrated with that....

Sign up for Craftsman Club and watch the sales at Sears. Pick up a 6" grinder for about 40 bucks. The stock wheels are only OK for sharpening garden tools - so you can upgrade to OneWay (blue) wheels - then get their wheel balancing system - then a Wolverine jig... (with attachments) in the end you probabaly spend about what a JET would cost (so if you were looking at a Tormek - it's a bargain) but you can sharpen chisels VERY quickly and accuratly without breaking the bank or spending 20 years learning how. The perverse thing is that the grider is actually the CHEAPEST element of the whole setup.

I haven't outgrown the 6" grinder yet. The next step would probably be an 8" grinder and all the OneWay toys. Tormek/Jet will certainly put an edge on a tool - but it's a lot slower than using a Wolverine.