PDA

View Full Version : Project for beginner square turners.

Jamie Donaldson
05-18-2007, 1:01 PM
These things can be dangerous, so here is a nice project piece for the first time square turning. Don't forget to keep everything you want to remain attached to your body BEHIND the tool rest! I'll post more in degrees of difficulty later. One criteria is to keep the edges uniform in thickness, and don't knock edge chips out either! Neither is it legal to turn a round bowl and bandsaw the edges square- that's cheating!

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2007, 1:07 PM
That is cool Jamie. That is one thing I haven't tried yet but is on the list. Nice job.

Tom Collins
05-18-2007, 5:12 PM
Thanks for the inspiration Jamie, I was going to ask in the post above if you have counted your fingers lately. I look forward to seeing your other works.

Tom C.

Joash Boyton
05-18-2007, 8:01 PM
I can turn them, the only mishap I come accross, is when sanding the *wings*...when sanding, the sandpaper tends to take out the wing shape.

I will try another one, and see if I can post it

Jim Becker
05-18-2007, 9:46 PM
Joash, on these puppies, best to sand anything beyond the "circular discontinuity" point by hand with the lathe turned off... ;)

Dennis Peacock
05-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Joash, on these puppies, best to sand anything beyond the "circular discontinuity" point by hand with the lathe turned off... ;)

True....unless you are "extremely fast" on your reflexes with a piece of sandpaper in your hand. :p :D

Jonathon Spafford
05-20-2007, 3:16 AM
Beautiful piece, Jamie! Love the shape! I think I have tried one of those, but I haven't been successful! If you ever get a chance, you should see Jimmy Clewes turn one of those! Don't sit directly in front of him as it sounds like a helicopter as he's turning it and you will be ducking the whole time.... but it is pretty impressive!

Jamie Donaldson
05-20-2007, 10:44 AM
....several times, and the spinning prop sound scares the crap out of me! I learned long ago around real spinning prop sounds to not go there!!!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-20-2007, 12:47 PM
;)
Beautiful piece, Jamie! Love the shape! I think I have tried one of those, but I haven't been successful! If you ever get a chance, you should see Jimmy Clewes turn one of those! Don't sit directly in front of him as it sounds like a helicopter as he's turning it and you will be ducking the whole time.... but it is pretty impressive!

Ditto on Jimmy Clews sanding that Asian lidded box, it moves a lot of air..;)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_2825.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_2857.jpg

He was at our club in April of 06, what a show!!