PDA

View Full Version : Band saw, no table saw

Burt Alcantara
05-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I've read about people who have a bandsaw but no table saw. As a turner I find my table saw serves more as a table then a saw. I'm reaching the limits of my bandsaw (G0555) as I'm cutting larger and larger logs.

I thought if I sold the bandsaw and table saw (General 85-120[?]), I'd have almost enough to get a Grizzly 0514X which is 19" plus some cash thrown in. The problem going larger is the limitation of my ceiling height which is a scant 82". The Grizzly is 74" without a mobile base. I still have problems getting a beast like this down into my basement.

I rarely use sheet goods. When I do I usually pare them down in the garage with a circular then cut to size with the table saw. I'm thinking I could do the same with a band saw. I'd miss the smooth cut of a table saw with its accuracy, but there are ways around that.

I'd like to hear opinions from those who have a similar setup as a sanity check.

Thanks,
Burt

Paul Simmel
05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Did you read this thread?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56074&highlight=bandsaw+heart+shop

Ken Consaul
05-18-2007, 1:52 PM
I've gone from a TS only (handheld jigsaw for curves) to a BS shop only to a shop with both.
First was a full-time cabinet shop and for the production need of building casework, the TS was aboslutely necessary. Unfortunately, it was dangerous and we had one serious accident that removed a thumb.
Next shop, a home one without much limitation on space was going to be BS only. I would rip most anything accurately but usually left a width of the cursor strong and jointed or used a router table to remove the kerf marks. Acceptable but kind of a pain. Safe(r) though. Nothing like feeling the BS suck the work down to the table as opposed to the threat of it launching like Elliot Sadler at Daytona.
Eventually, and mostly because of a great deal, I bought a Jet cabinet saw and use it exclusively for ripping. Its easier simply because of the larger table space and the clean, clean cut I get on rips. Its made my life easier but my mind always remembers the accidents. It does seem to catch clutter (bad habit on my part) and I'm thinking of adding a permanent cut off table on the backside that will catch more tools and scraps.
Unlike the OP, I'm not restricted to size and from his shop description, he might find it unwieldy to try to run a long board through the BS. I usually reduce to approximate length and made several rips though this opens up the issue of uniform cuts. Of course, once you have wrestled a long board down the stairs, I suppose anything is easy.
For the record, I use a mitersaw for most cutoff, an RAS for wider cut off, BS for resaw, curves, tapers, etc. and the TS for rips. Dados/rabbets/tenons done with router table.

glenn bradley
05-18-2007, 3:20 PM
This article should be very helpful:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=2761

George Leicht
05-18-2007, 3:40 PM
Burt -
I think a lot depends on what you make. I have both, and I wouldn't want to do without either. I am currently working on some maple chairs. The 8/4 maple rough stock was not nearly flat or square enough to cut on the table saw, so I used the band saw to cut blanks. I then jointed and planed the blanks. I have a nice Freud rip blade on the table saw, so I used that to rip to final width.

Long story, but IMO, the tools do different jobs, and neither does the other's job well.
George

Burt Alcantara
05-18-2007, 6:19 PM
Unfortunately, the SMC thread got into a pissing match. The first few posts were informative. The Tauton link requires membership, one of the reasons I don't visit that site anymore.

The base information did help me understand what I'm looking for. In my case, I wasn't sure what I would be doing with woodworking. I knew I wanted to make things with wood. After a while, I fell into turning and this has become my obsession. I still need to make flat furniture for things around the house and shop.

I don't have the money or space for a large BS and TS. That's the reason for my investigation. Presently, my BS/TS usage is about 95%BS to 5%TS. Like all things things can change unexpectedly.

Thanks for all the good information,
Burt

glenn bradley
05-18-2007, 6:46 PM
Hi Burt,

Sorry about the FWW link. That used to tick me off too. I just wanted to add that as I work alone like most of us do, I frequently use guides and flush trim bits in my router to create straight square panels. I do this whenever the panel exceeds what I'm comfortable with on the TS. I would think you could do something similar and save the space being taken up by your TS.

Good luck,

Glenn

Charles Wilson
05-18-2007, 6:50 PM
Couldn't you look into the EZ system (a message board for this manufacturer is at the bottom of the home page under manufacturers forums) instead of a TS? This option may interest you. I think that it is affordable and well made.

Regards,
Chuck

Jeffrey Schronce
05-18-2007, 8:55 PM
I just bought the 19" Grizzly a few weeks ago and am loving it! I still use my tablesaw all the time, but I tend to do case work more than what a turner would.

Paul Simmel
05-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Why would a turner even need a TS? I'm talking about turners, not case work manufactures.

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2007, 2:01 PM
Paul,
The table saw was my first major tool purchase. At that time I thought I would be making tables, chairs, cabinets, shelving and all the general things one does to fix up a house and make if comfortable.

Things change. I got into turning this past January. Even that changed. I wanted to give my oncologist a special present. I came to the conclusion that a hand made fancy schmany pen set would be perfect so I looked into small inexpensive lathes. Well, I didn't buy a small lathe and I still haven't made a pen. But I've got a room full of logs and a basement full of bowls. I use the table saw for sizing boards that I use to make lathe jigs. All of this could be done on a larger bandsaw then the one I have.

I do like the smoothness of table saw cuts but I'd rather have the space.

Burt

Wilbur Pan
05-20-2007, 9:18 PM
I rarely use sheet goods. When I do I usually pare them down in the garage with a circular then cut to size with the table saw. I'm thinking I could do the same with a band saw. I'd miss the smooth cut of a table saw with its accuracy, but there are ways around that.

I'd like to hear opinions from those who have a similar setup as a sanity check.
I have a bandsaw only shop, mainly for lack of floor space.

You'd be surprised how straight and clean a cut you can do on plywood using a 3/4" 10 TPI blade.

Hope that's sane enough. ;)

Burt Alcantara
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I use my bandsaw so much that I went to reshape a jig. Cut it on the table saw. Stupid me. The jig was 6" high! Duh!

I find myself using the TS less and less and wanting a larger BS more and more. The biggest problem is getting the beast into my 82" shop. Oh well...

Burt