PDA

View Full Version : Whale Tail Stool

Charlie Mastro
05-18-2007, 8:43 AM
I wonder how many of you saw the back cover of the current FWW #191. There was an article on Kintaro Yazawa from Japan and whose work I was already familiar with but had no idea how he did it. Well after reading the article I felt challenged to try his technique myself. I have been making dovetail stools for 25 years and needed a piece to show in the Wallowa County Arts Festival here in Joseph on June 1 so this seemed like a good time to try it. I posted this downstairs and thought I post it up too as I hardly ever come up here and I bet a lot of you tailed guys don't come down the downstairs much and after all I did use a router on this.
There is also a video you can see at
http://feister-dills-images.com/samples.html

Adam Howard
05-18-2007, 8:52 AM
Amazing! Great work!

Don Bullock
05-18-2007, 9:31 AM
Charlie, that is craftsmanship at its finest. The article you mentioned and the pictures on the Internet of Kintaro Yazawa's work definately caught my attention.

I was definately inspired by your video. The close up shots of you cutting the dovelails was excellent and shows your technique better than any other videos and demonstrations I've seen. I've always wanted to try doing some hand made dovetails and use hand tools more than I have in the past. I do have some experience with carving and I can see, after watching your video, how I can take those skills and techniques that I already have to the next level. Your video, I believe, has finally pushed me over the edge of the "sloppery slope." I'm already planning out a dovetail design as I type this.

Thank you for sharing.

Jim Becker
05-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for cross-posting this here, Charlie, as I know there are a lot of folks who don't venture into the Neander Forum, despite the fact that it's a great place to learn. Excellent work!

Todd Jensen
05-18-2007, 1:34 PM
Beautiful, inspirational work. Thanks for sharing.:)