PDA

View Full Version : New Turnings and Introduction....

Cory Nelson
05-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I wanted to get some feedback and step out and introduce myself.
I am Cory, I live in South Carolina. I purchase a Rikon mini lathe (love it) from Woodzone (http://www.woodzone.com) in Columbia, SC about 2 months ago, and also took a class at Woodzone (http://www.woodzone.com) with my wife (whom now also has her own lathe) (If you live in Columbia area that is a awesome shop and great bunch of folks)

Anyhow I wanted to get some feedback. again only 2 months into this dust addiction so be gentle, but honest lol. and Thanks for all the great info I have read thus far, there seems to be a great wealth of knowledge spilling into this forum and I hope someday to be able to share some insight aswell. I really enjoy making the Hollow Forms so do tell whatcha thunk. I'll work on the photo side of things later.

1st Spalted Maple
2nd Spalted American Elm
3rd Spalted Hackberry W/ turq inlay in inclusions
4th Kiaat
5th Spalted Maple

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi Cory,

Welcome to SMC.

I like your turnings, something special about spalted wood, eh!:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2007, 9:48 AM
Hey Cory. Welcome to Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Your turnings are great. I really like the spalted wood. Nice job. Keep'em coming.

Nancy Laird
05-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Cory, nice turnings, but I really really like that spalted hackberry with the turquoise. Looks very much like some of the horsehair pottery pieces coming from the Native Americans here. The form is very Southwestern, and I like it very much.

Nancy

Ken LaSota
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Cory they look great.
For only two months I think you should be very proud. I have been turning many years and have not done a HF yet.Enjoy your new hobby and show us more. You can be proud of your work.
Ken

Joyce Baldauf
05-18-2007, 5:50 PM
Two months, huh? Could have fooled me! Looks more like two years.

They are all REALLY nice. Looks like you have found your niche in the wonderful world of wood. Welcome to the creek!:D

Dennis Peacock
05-18-2007, 8:47 PM
Welcome to the Creek Cory!!! Glad to have ya around.

Nice job on the turnings. I didn't look very hard at your pics, but beauty is in the eye of the maker and I see your pieces as art. :cool:

Joseph Peacock
05-18-2007, 8:56 PM
Welcom to the smc Mr.Croy:D ;) :cool:

Cory Nelson
05-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome and comments!;)

Glenn Hodges
05-19-2007, 6:43 PM
Flat out good looking bowls, welcome, and thanks for posting such lovely bowl pictures.

Curt Fuller
05-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Anyhow I wanted to get some feedback. again only 2 months into this dust addiction so be gentle, but honest lol.

Two months?? Like 2 months of 20 hours a day, no bathroom breaks, 10 hours on Sundays? These natural born turners make me want to use my gouges for dandelion diggers.

Beautiful work!